Installing WHS 2011 on HP MediaSmart ex495 Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP MediaSmart ex495 Home Server that has had a few issues recently and the more I read, the more I want to move up to WHS 2011.  However, This wonderful little piece of Hardware has No DVD Drive and No Display.  The Original Factory Software connects to the Server through the Network Port in order to install the Software.

My Question here is, how would I install WHS 2011 on my HP MediaSmart ex495 Box without any display?  I know I could hook up my USB DVD Drive, and probably hook up a USB Keyboard and Mouse and they will probably all work just fine, but without a Display, I wouldn't have any Idea on what was happening next.

My HP Software requires me to connect the Server to my Workstation using the Network Port and then I boot the Server Recovery Software on my local PC to send the Image to the Server.  Does the WHS 2011 Software also install the same way?

Thank You in Advance for advice...

Monday, June 13, 2011 4:35 AM

All replies

• You can do everything you need to do from a connected client.  Just follow the directions for installing the new Home Server 2011 from a client and it will be ok.  Be sure to back up your data and content locally first - use Remote Desktop Connection from your client to connect to the existing Home Server desktop.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 4:07 PM
  • Leake

Can you point me to the instructions for installing from a Client? I am not aware that this can be done.

Phil

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 5:07 PM
  • You can do everything you need to do from a connected client.  Just follow the directions for installing the new Home Server 2011 from a client and it will be ok.  Be sure to back up your data and content locally first - use Remote Desktop Connection from your client to connect to the existing Home Server desktop.

What if the Server is completely Blank?  I purchased 4 Brand New 2TB Drives to replace the 4 1.5 TB Drives that came with the Server.  And since I keep having problems with WHS v1, I figured I would upgrade to WHS 2011 since it's only $120.00 OEM @ NewEgg, but I wasn't sure if this would be possible.

Since this is possible, I would just connect to my Server using an Ethernet Cable as before and Launch the Media from my Client PC running Windows 7?  We have to assume that I do NOT have an Existing Home Server Desktop.

Thank You.

Monday, June 13, 2011 5:35 PM
  • MGuyM

That's what I was getting at. I am not sure that the client install method (whatever it is) would work without special client software and an image from the OEM (HP in this case). There is no upgrade path from WHS1 to WHS 2011 so it has to be a clean install. I am not familiar with your hardware, but does it have a slot you could put a VGA card into temporarily while you install?

Phil

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:25 PM
  • Go to www.mediasmartserver.net where you will find great instructions for accomplishing what you want to do. Additionally you can buy a KVM device for the HP MediaSmart servers that allows attachment of a display and PS/2 keyboard and mouse. If you are interested in purchasing a KVM device look in the forums.

PS you understand that with WHS 2011 on a HP EX4xx you will have not have the drive extender functionality to provide protection from hard drive failure. There are some other ways of accomplishing a level of protection but you must proactively implement and administer them.

Friday, June 17, 2011 8:24 PM