Better "Assign resources" panel? plugin? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to filter resources in "Assign resources" panel by custom column value.

How to add column to resources table  in "Assign resources" panel and filtering by that column name.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

perhaps, I was not clear. Create a resource filter in Enterprise Global like the following (I suggest to use any prefix in name, to make show that it is no default filter like PS_...). I created following filter.

The "?" indicates, that it is an interactive filter.

Here a list of my resources, with some text in Text1, I want to use as filter criteria (see also in filter).

more in next reply, only two images possible ....

• Marked as answer by PKB Info Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:24 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

in Assign Resources dialog,  you see Resource list options on the top. Click there and you get access to any existing resource filter. If you can't find the required criteria, you need to create this filter in advance or within this dialog with More filters - New.

Does that help?
    Barbara

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:55 PM
  • The resource list is large. User does not know exact name (even part of that name is not always knows). When assigning resource user must see what is the full resource name stored in custom column and have user friendly filtering based on contains filter but not as static filter definition (contains).

"if worse comes to worst" user should have custom column visible in resource assignment panel (without filtering).

• Edited by PKB Info Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:10 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

perhaps, I was not clear. Create a resource filter in Enterprise Global like the following (I suggest to use any prefix in name, to make show that it is no default filter like PS_...). I created following filter.

The "?" indicates, that it is an interactive filter.

Here a list of my resources, with some text in Text1, I want to use as filter criteria (see also in filter).

more in next reply, only two images possible ....

• Marked as answer by PKB Info Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:24 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:32 PM

When I now open Assign Resources dialog, I can select my filter from "More filters" and click Apply.

In next step I am asked for my criteria, since it is an interactive filter.

...next part will follow ...

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:33 PM
  • ... last part

Now looking for all resources with "Info" in Text1.

Only resources with matching criteria are listed.

Did I miss any requirement?

Barbara

P.s.: OK, I missed one: Display of additional columns in this dialog is just not possible.
    • Edited by Barbara HenhaplMVP Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:29 PM comment on add. columns
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:34 PM
  • Barbara,

Very nice thorough explanation. Only one comment I have. The poster made no mention of using Project Server so the reference to "Enterprise Global" may be confusing to a non-server user. A reference to the Filter Definition window under View/Data group/Filter selection box/New filter would be more generic.

John

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:22 PM
  • Hi John,

I agree. But when I read that there are too many resources to find the appropriate, I just assumed a server behind ;-).

But you are correct, so thanks for adding.

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:26 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thank you for answer. I am using Project Prof. but it is possible to apply filter with parameter using "?". The problem with displaying custom column on resource selection still exist, probably users will have resource sheet in excel to help in selection. 

Best regards

Martin

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:24 PM