NOT ABLE TO GET ANSWERS FROM CUSTOMER SERVICE ON THE PHONE. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This is a question/comment situation for me. My dilema is that I got my pc from a company that was going out of business and was selling towers w/os XP PRO already loaded so I do not have a disk or Product #.  I believed everything was legitimate because for the past year I have had no issues regarding security updates which happened every week. I did have some error messages which made me question if I was still connected to this company's network because even though my memory was 90% free, at start up, it would state I needed to add nvram. I asked a couple of people did they know what is up and I was told I needed to add memory. I had no contact with company to ask for help. Anyhow, this computer is old and I tried to add a external dvd rw plug and play. When I installed it, I was led to Microsoft site to install Direct X 9

I believe for my Dvd rw to work, It stated I must validate my os before I could download this file. I did what it asked and it restarted and .....I am a victim of software counterfit software. This screen comes up and this little star is at the bottom of my desktop. I did not know what to do because the initial shock was so intimidating that I felt as if I was believed to be a crimimal. Then because it was late and I wanted to find out how to fix this, I stayed up half the night reading all of the info on this WGA and how to get Genuine. I thought everything was ok until the report stated that the product key was invalid and that the Volume Licence Product Key is known to be pirated. Ok now I was in panic mode. Yes I lost a little sleep because after going over the links about this I came across where I could purchase a genuine product code key for $149 buy now option. Ok, I was a little skeptical, so I waited to call Customer service to see if this was real and not some phish. 

When I called, I was transferred to 3 different reps and none of them could explain how this WGA works. It was like I was loaded with more info than they were by reading the links all night. I felt as if I better understood how this thing is suppose to work and explained it to them as if this was their first time hearing of this program. I had to read from the website for them to get an understanding n what the heck I was talking about. Did these customer/tech support reps have a class/seminar on this subject because the ones I talked to did not seem to know. I spent 90 mins on the phone trying to find out if the Genuine Advantage kit online offer was legit and not a phish and one guy said he was not sure but if it said it I should go ahead and give my credit card info. I had to direct 2 reps to the website page I was on and they still did not have access. One rep was so frustrated with me because she was unable to help find answers in her notes or whatever they look at she said that she will have a tech support person call me back in 48hrs. Oh, did I mention, I talked to to people in tech already who did not have an answer either. All I was told is that I can still use my computer but I can't do updates.

Ok, is that what they are suppose to tell innocent customers who want to resolve this issue. Anyway, after all of that, I still have access to use my computer, but why don't I feel comfortable using it after talking to customer service...Well because I got this blue screen telling me I am a victim and to get genuine...I tried to do the right thing by calling. I want to know how to make my computer genuine without losing my files. This is an old system w/floppy drive and cd rom. Even if I do buy the product code on WGA by reading this forum there seems to be issues with that too. What is the next step because if tech support does not call back in 48hrs, I do not want to call again and be transferred all over the world. Hopefully, I can get better help and info here. 

Sorry this is so long... but when you are frustrated, you have to make sure that you are properly understood.  Would I qualify to receive the software w/o purchase? Not only do I feel like a victim for this computer ordeal, calling customer service made me feel more helpless with this problem. Then to have to pay more for all of this hassle is not good customer service either in my opinion. Thanks

Thursday, April 27, 2006 9:03 AM

Answers

• KD101:

We appreciate the candid (in a good way!) opinions of all users. We definitely appreciate both you and frustrated's replies.

We are trying to expand our "Offers" program and "Counterfeit Report" program as much and as quickly as possible to extend these to as wide a population as possible. We have some very cool stuff coming (and some stuff is already here!) like IE7 and other new Windows XP features. We are here to differentiate the genuine Microsoft software experience from non-genuine.

Thanks for your input, and yes, our entire department is reading this. :)

Good luck,

-Phil Liu

Friday, April 28, 2006 1:12 AM

All replies

•  frustrated2006 wrote:

Hi,

This is a question/comment situation for me. My dilema is that I got my pc from a company that was going out of business and was selling towers w/os XP PRO already loaded so I do not have a disk or Product #.  I believed everything was legitimate because for the past year I have had no issues regarding security updates which happened every week. I did have some error messages which made me question if I was still connected to this company's network because even though my memory was 90% free, at start up, it would state I needed to add nvram. I asked a couple of people did they know what is up and I was told I needed to add memory. I had no contact with company to ask for help. Anyhow, this computer is old and I tried to add a external dvd rw plug and play. When I installed it, I was led to Microsoft site to install Direct X 9

Frustrated2006, I'm sorry for the problems you are seeing. We appreciate you being a long term user of Microsoft software. Please rest assured we are wanting to have the best possible genuine users experience.

frustrated2006 wrote:

I believe for my Dvd rw to work, It stated I must validate my os before I could download this file. I did what it asked and it restarted and .....I am a victim of software counterfit software. This screen comes up and this little star is at the bottom of my desktop. I did not know what to do because the initial shock was so intimidating that I felt as if I was believed to be a crimimal. Then because it was late and I wanted to find out how to fix this, I stayed up half the night reading all of the info on this WGA and how to get Genuine. I thought everything was ok until the report stated that the product key was invalid and that the Volume Licence Product Key is known to be pirated. Ok now I was in panic mode. Yes I lost a little sleep because after going over the links about this I came across where I could purchase a genuine product code key for $149 buy now option. Ok, I was a little skeptical, so I waited to call Customer service to see if this was real and not some phish. 

If you are an individual, in 95% of cases, you should not be using a Volume License Product Keys. You may have been a victim of software piracy. The original point of purchase for this copy of Windows may have been using pirated software. We understand the issues and worries about phishing and mis-carriage of information on the internet today. I definitely appreciate the time you've taken to contact us to verify.

frustrated2006 wrote:

Ok, is that what they are suppose to tell innocent customers who want to resolve this issue. Anyway, after all of that, I still have access to use my computer, but why don't I feel comfortable using it after talking to customer service...Well because I got this blue screen telling me I am a victim and to get genuine...I tried to do the right thing by calling. I want to know how to make my computer genuine without losing my files. This is an old system w/floppy drive and cd rom. Even if I do buy the product code on WGA by reading this forum there seems to be issues with that too. What is the next step because if tech support does not call back in 48hrs, I do not want to call again and be transferred all over the world. Hopefully, I can get better help and info here. 

We have fixed many issues regarding the ordering process (in fact, the user did attempt to order during the middle of the evening US time, which is when our order management servers go for maintenance.)

frustrated2006 wrote:

Would I qualify to receive the software w/o purchase?

No. Not without a high quality counterfeit report submission.

I'm sorry I have to be so blunt, but we do not make exceptions to rules put in place by our legal department.

Thursday, April 27, 2006 5:42 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, I don't take it bluntly at all, excuse me for my vent, I understand....

but what do you suggest I do in this case? Is it worth getting the WGAK for this computer if it has this VLK? I am not sure if I feel comfortable downloading the program and the scan for some reason does not work. Can this situation be made geniune without me losing all of my files and having to reinstall with a geniune disk? I would have to save on the floppy which could be a hassle. Will I be able to load Windows XP pro without uninstalling what is already on this computer and make it genuine that way? I ask because I read on this forum that someone was told they could do that and the correct files will be installed. I hope to get this resolved soon because I am just inclined to just trashing this thing but...for right now, If I can withhold from buying a new computer(no more classifed ads for me) because this was an unexpected expense that is not within my budget. I need my for my computer to be safe  because I am a stay at home mom of 3 and I work from home. Please let me know how I should go about this.

Thanks again.

P.S.

How come it is so easy to sell/buy used computers in the classifieds if all of these do's and don't apply to the software? I am sure so many people who could not afford the state of the art computers have purchased them this way or have had them rebuilt. I just wanted to get that across. Lesson Learned.

Thursday, April 27, 2006 10:22 PM
  • Frustrated, I'll address only some of the individual questions you've posted, as many answers are availible from our FAQ.

Yes, if you have a VLK (Volume License Key) on your machine and you realize that you are not an organization (or part of one) that should be using one, then you may have been a victim of software piracy from the company that sold the computer. If you wish to submit a counterfeit report, if it is of high quality, you may be eligible for a free WGA Kit in return for helping us. There are a few loops to jump through though (questions, etc).

I would recommend going back to that manufacturer (if you can), or purchasing a kit online. We also offer options to buy locally at a local genuine reseller.

If you wish to update without a full reinstall, our WGA Kit does provide instructions to reinstalling the OS without a full reinstall. In fact, it does replace hacked binaries and provides a full secure update incase the original PC maker did something wrong to attempt to pass WGA Validation.

I hope this helps you in your computing adventures. :)

As to "How come it is so easy to sell/buy used computers in the classifieds if all of these do's and don't apply to the software? I am sure so many people who could not afford the state of the art computers have purchased them this way or have had them rebuilt. I just wanted to get that across. Lesson Learned."

This is the root of software piracy. Spend a little to make a lot. This isn't honest competition, and piracy (whether or not from Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, or the bread store) is still piracy (well, stealing in the breadstore case).

I'm sorry for the frustration you've gotten thus far. We're simply here to help the local consumer get aware of businesses around them.

Good luck,

-Phil Liu

Thursday, April 27, 2006 11:48 PM
  •  Phil Liu MSFT wrote:

As to "How come it is so easy to sell/buy used computers in the classifieds if all of these do's and don't apply to the software? I am sure so many people who could not afford the state of the art computers have purchased them this way or have had them rebuilt. I just wanted to get that across. Lesson Learned."

This is the root of software piracy. Spend a little to make a lot. This isn't honest competition, and piracy (whether or not from Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, or the bread store) is still piracy (well, stealing in the breadstore case).

Shouldn't the removal of software when selling a used computer become a legal requirement then?  Maybe this would cut down on the "root of software piracy" and narrow the abusers of this down to the indavidual????

I cant understand why that when purchasing a second hand item, that has software allready installed with a genuine COA etc should be branded piracy. If the product is genuine but only changing user, what danger does this inflict to microsoft or its partners? 

Im fully aware that there is a huge piracy problem the world through, but not  allowing people to have a (genuine) alternative (second hand buying), then organisations such as microsoft are going to encourage the act of piracy.

This is my opinion to not being able to purchase a 2nd hand pc that has all the genuine items such as cd/cd-key/COA etc. There should be more options/exeptions for genuine people who have probably been a loyal microsft user for many years.

Regards

Friday, April 28, 2006 12:24 AM
  • KD101:

We appreciate the candid (in a good way!) opinions of all users. We definitely appreciate both you and frustrated's replies.

We are trying to expand our "Offers" program and "Counterfeit Report" program as much and as quickly as possible to extend these to as wide a population as possible. We have some very cool stuff coming (and some stuff is already here!) like IE7 and other new Windows XP features. We are here to differentiate the genuine Microsoft software experience from non-genuine.

Thanks for your input, and yes, our entire department is reading this. :)

Good luck,

-Phil Liu

Friday, April 28, 2006 1:12 AM