Sunset and Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Sunset worked in Windows 10 preview, but does not work in the final version of Windows 10. The error I get says Internet Explorer 6 needs to be installed for money to work. Internet Explorer 6 doesn't work on a 64 bit. Any ideas to get it to work?
    Friday, August 7, 2015 2:29 AM

All replies

• Make the following registry change:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
    "Version"="9.11.10240.0"  (originaly: 9.11.10240.16384)

• Proposed as answer by AgentSmith Friday, August 7, 2015 5:48 AM
    Friday, August 7, 2015 5:47 AM
  • I have the same problem and note AgentSmith's reply. Only problem is, I don't know how to make a registry change. Can you advise me how please?

Bill in Oz

Friday, August 7, 2015 8:30 AM
  • It is detailed elsewhere, however just 'Regedit' in the searchbox (botto left) and click the resulting box highlighting the programme (not anything else). This will launch the Registry Editor, essentially a text editor. You will see a list on the left. Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE list until it expands (you may need to do this more than once) all the way down to EXACTLY that target, then edit the line as described. Close regedit; no need to reboot. This should do it.

Dr AS

Friday, August 7, 2015 9:29 AM
  • Please let us know if this regedit works. I have the same issue. 
    Friday, August 7, 2015 5:52 PM
  • Works perfectly. Thanks for this solution!!
    Friday, August 7, 2015 6:02 PM
  • Thank You.
    Friday, August 7, 2015 8:32 PM
  • Thank You sooo much for your help.  Changing the Registry worked perfectly.  Thought I would have to start all over with a new program.  This was awesome!!

Saturday, August 8, 2015 12:03 AM
  • Yep, got my old Money v12 working as well. Thanks so much!
    Saturday, August 8, 2015 2:47 PM
  • Excellent AgentSmith . Works like a charm

• Edited by Khalid_NJ Saturday, August 8, 2015 5:08 PM
    Saturday, August 8, 2015 5:07 PM
  • Thanks - works great. I was worried I would have to say goodbye to Microsoft Money.
    Saturday, August 8, 2015 6:21 PM
  • Thank you!  This worked for me as well.  Just curious if it'll break anything else though =)
    Saturday, August 8, 2015 6:27 PM
  • Sorry, but what search box are you referring to in Windows 10?
    Saturday, August 8, 2015 6:56 PM
  • Easiest way to get to regedit is to press Windows key+R and enter regedit in the run box. I found this thread after wasting half a day researching alternatives for Money with no success. Thanks AgentSmith.
    Sunday, August 9, 2015 9:07 AM
  • AgentSmith, thanks for your information and I hope to successfully figure this out.  I made it to the version file, but mine shows:

Name              Type                Data

IE                  REG_SZ            9.0000

I replaced 9.0000 with 9.11.10240.0, but no solution, still says I need IE6 but can't download.

I'm hoping you have or anyone else has one more great suggestion.  Thanks for all your help.

Sunday, August 9, 2015 1:37 PM
  • GRACIAS, OBRIGADO, THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH, it worked instantly!  (i still use my beloved MS MONEY 99, not only for personal use but for business purposes too!!) After 15 years it just Works well, I need nothing else. Thanks god I waited a few days to install W10 so I was able to find your perfect solution and I am now able to continue using MSMoney.... who knows perhaps another 15 years??
    Sunday, August 9, 2015 2:17 PM
  • I made the registry change, and Money opened perfectly.  I was even able to make a few check register entries.  When I went to make the fourth one, I got an error message that said:  Microsoft Money has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. 

Do you have any idea how to fix this problem?  Thank you.

• Proposed as answer by GeauxMa Sunday, August 9, 2015 4:07 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by GeauxMa Sunday, August 9, 2015 4:09 PM
    Sunday, August 9, 2015 3:57 PM
  • My installation had to be changed in a slightly different location : [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]

Sunday, August 9, 2015 11:04 PM
  • The Sunset Works on Windows 10! The Fix from Agent Smith Below Works.
    Monday, August 10, 2015 4:39 AM
  • Thank you AgentSmith.  Your tips solve my woe...
    Monday, August 10, 2015 12:44 PM
  • I also have this problems, some register entries and after for new entries and also editing old entries : Microsoft Money has stopped working .....
    Monday, August 10, 2015 3:55 PM
  • This fixed the problem and MS Money starts now but after couple of mins it just gives the error "Microsoft Money has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.".

Any solution for this problem?

Monday, August 10, 2015 3:56 PM
  • Thanks - saved my life :-)
    Monday, August 10, 2015 4:32 PM
  • Wow, thanks for walking me through this, as a Windows Dummy it was very helpful.
    Monday, August 10, 2015 6:34 PM
  • Very many thanks for this, it seems to work! Very grateful that I haven't lost my old friend MS Money.
    Monday, August 10, 2015 7:25 PM
  • Which field do you make the change? I have three options to select from when I select Version Vector.  

Default with on entry in the data field.

IE and it only had 9.0000 in the data field

VML and it has 1.0 in the data field

Monday, August 10, 2015 8:08 PM
  • My version of Internet Explorer is 11.0.10240.16384.  Microsoft Money Plus (sunset version) worked fine with Windows 8.1- how should I change it's version number with regedit to make it work?  I tried change it to "9.11.10240.0" but that didn't seem to help.

Monday, August 10, 2015 8:22 PM
  • Just ask for regedit in search box and it will load, then follow this path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer/version.  After that just edit the number, close the Editor, and reboot. 
    Monday, August 10, 2015 8:25 PM
  • Fantastic! I followed these instructions and now my much loved Money99 system works on Windows10.  Thanks everybody :)
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 9:07 AM
  • Genius!  Thanks very much.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 9:37 AM
  • This worked fine for me - MS Money 2007 Deluxe.  Funny that Microsoft just states this software is "incompatible" with Windows 10 and all it took was a minor registry change.  Thanks much to AgentSmith for the solution.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 9:35 PM
  • I had the same problem after downloading Windows 10. I am not a PC guru, but with your clear and concise solution I was able to solve the problem in 30 seconds. It does work straight away without rebooting.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 2:38 AM
  • After the Windows 10 update "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081436)" on August 11th no registry change is needed for Money versions to launch successfully.

I recommend that the original registry value be restored, since we do not know which other programs may be affected by the change.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 7:52 AM
  • DominiqP, since it seems you know a lot about MS Money Plus Sunset, after upgrading to Windows 10, I can't get Money to show cents in my transactions, for currencies out of the US Dollar. Any ideas? Thank you
    Thursday, August 13, 2015 12:35 PM
  • I got it to work by searching in " search the web and Windows" for internet explorer on my machine, then starting internet explorer.

Shut explorer, then start Money, seemed to work for me ?

Thursday, August 13, 2015 1:16 PM
  • Thanks AgentSmith, That registry fix got my Money up and working all fine until I tried to import a .qif file.  Money vaporises every time i try to import the .qif file and when i restart Money it tries to continue on from where we left off.  The data does not import.  I'm very interested to know if anyone else has been successfully importing files from their banks?
    Thursday, August 13, 2015 1:31 PM
  • This is a known problem.  You need to replace your mnyob99.dll file with a patched version.  See the first "sticky"post in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/money-plus-bug-and-solution-mnyob99dll?forum=money

Bill Becker

Thursday, August 13, 2015 1:49 PM
  • I am in the UK, so use Money 2005.

Money versions use the Windows system formats for date, time, numbers and currencies. Check that your time zone is correct and consider customising the regional Windows currency format.

Underlying amounts may be correct to several decimal places, but displayed in a truncated form.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 4:24 PM
  • I made that change and it worked. Today it quit working. It opens okay then a few seconds later a pop-up advises me the it encountered a problem and Windows is closing the program. I tried reloading MS Money Sunset. That didn't work. So restored to a earlier date. That didn't work. Checked the registry. "Version" still ends with zero. I note that there is another item called "W2kVersion" and another called "svcVersion" that are also 9.11.10240.16384. Should they be modified to end in .0??

I am reluctant to experiment with registry.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 5:35 PM
  • There are two changes discussed in this thread.  Which change did you make?

If you are referring to the registry change, you are correct that you should not be experimenting in the registry.  In fact, the reports are that the registry change is no longer required because a recent update to Windows 10 has eliminated the need.  In fact, it's a good idea to change that entry back to its original value.

The crashing problem may be caused by a bug in the mnyob99.dll file.  There is a patched version available.  It is described in the first "sticky" post in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/money-plus-bug-and-solution-mnyob99dll?forum=money

Please try that and see if it helps.

Bill Becker

Thursday, August 13, 2015 9:43 PM
  • You can fix that issue with this DLL patch.

https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2012/12/02/windows-8-64-bit-version-compatibility-with-sunset-money/

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 3:06 PM
  • Thank you!! Worked perfectly!
    Friday, August 21, 2015 7:49 PM
  • Works great! Thank you so much! You are so helpful!!!
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 12:56 AM
  • Thank You so much, very easy fix!

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 3:35 AM
  • Just for the computer illiterate (me and a million others), since MS created the problem in this latest version/update of 10, why doesn't MS send out a fix for the problem

instead of telling us how to work around it?

Saturday, August 29, 2015 5:59 PM
  • Microsoft stopped supporting Money 5 years ago.  The fix for the mnyob99.dll file was developed by fellow Money user Raymond Chen, a current Microsoft employee.  It works, but it has no official Microsoft support.  And the bug in mnyob99.dll that it fixes has been in Money Sunset all along.  So moving to Windows 10 did not create the problem, it just revealed it.  

Yes, I know, that's a narrow distinction and no consolation to frustrated users!  But the bottom line is, - replace the offending mnyob99.dll and move on.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Sunday, August 30, 2015 2:00 AM Raymond still works for Microsoft!
    Saturday, August 29, 2015 7:18 PM
  • worked perfectly!  thank you!
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 7:57 PM