WHS and connecting two sets of computers - pls help RRS feed

• Question

• I was an early adopter of WHS living in a wired house and 100% successful and happy (and saved by, on occassion) the WHS software, HP server and solutions it provides.

Now I have moved to a town house (three storey) and have a problem.

Top floor has Broadband router, I7 PC, Playstation 3 and some kit that accesses the internet wirelessly (Netbook etc).

Ground floor has ethernet printer/scanner, PC, HP WHS and some more kit that accesses wirelessly (also Netbook etc).

Ground floor can see WHS and gets backed up whether connected by wire or wirelessly. Top floor cant see WHS and doesnt get backed up.

Ground floor is Linksys WRT150N and upstairs is Linksys WRT610N. All machines Windows 7 Home edition. If I disconnect upstairs PC from wired Network its wireless card can see downstairs network and connect/see WHS. If I disconnect downstairs PC from wired its wireless card can see upstairs router and access internet. Obviously constant connection to the WHS and Internet is the goal for all kit. Access to WHS from internet is impossible if WHS not connected to the upstairs router. Worst case, can there be an open connection between the two mini networks if one pc is permanently on with bridged wired/wireless connection one to each router. Best can I get the routers connected together as a single network even if extra kit is required. A cable run from one to the other is not practicle but I know would work. I have set up the routers with IP 192.168.1.1 for the SKY Broadband access router which is wired to the Linksys WRT610N (6 inches away) using IP 192.168.1.2 and the downstairs router is IP 192.168.1.3 

I have tried setting IP ranges .4 to .10 for router 192.168.1.1 and .11 to .50 for router 192.168.1.2 then downstairs .51 to .99 for router 192.168.1.3

I am sending this post from the downstairs machine, disconnected from the wired network and wirelessly connected to upstairs and this machine is showing that it is allocated 192.168.1.12 so what I have described above seems to be fully correct.

Any assistance to get back to the bliss of a seemless back up and access to our music, videos and data throughout would be so much appreciated. Pls let me know if you need any more info about my set up.

Thanks Sean

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:19 AM

Answers

• You have two routers; routers are designed to allow you to segment your network into separate subnets, and Windows Home Server expects all computers to be on a single subnet.

Replace one router with a switch and your problem will likely be solved.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:44 AM
  • Hi Sean,
    if the router number 2 is configured as a repeater (this check the manual, if this configuration is possible), it should work. Otherwise with mixing up wired and wireless connection on the repeater you may run also into some subnetting effects.
    Do clients and server have IP addresses in the same subnet or a different range? Can you ping the server by IP address?
    (As worst workaround you would have to adjust the Windows Firewall on the server to allow the WHS related services to accept connections from all networks and find a way to resolve the name of the WHS properly like editing the hosts file on blind clients.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, January 22, 2010 3:41 PM

All replies

• You have two routers; routers are designed to allow you to segment your network into separate subnets, and Windows Home Server expects all computers to be on a single subnet.

Replace one router with a switch and your problem will likely be solved.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:44 AM
  • Thanks. If I may just check with you...

I leave the Broadband providers router connected to the Linksys WRT610N and wire the PC/Playstation to that. I have an 8 port switch, fairly old, Linksys EZXS88W which I plug the WHS, Printer and downstairs PC into. Do I connect the WRT150N to this or something else to link them wirelessly so that the upstairs PC also sees and can be seen by the WHS and obviously the internet becomes available downstairs?

Thanks Sean
    Friday, January 22, 2010 5:42 AM
  • Hi Sean,
    if the router number 2 is configured as a repeater (this check the manual, if this configuration is possible), it should work. Otherwise with mixing up wired and wireless connection on the repeater you may run also into some subnetting effects.
    Do clients and server have IP addresses in the same subnet or a different range? Can you ping the server by IP address?
    (As worst workaround you would have to adjust the Windows Firewall on the server to allow the WHS related services to accept connections from all networks and find a way to resolve the name of the WHS properly like editing the hosts file on blind clients.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, January 22, 2010 3:41 PM
  • Many thanks Olaf.

It seems the WRT150N can not be used as a repeater and I believe this will be the case for the WRT610N. So I have ordered two PLS300 which are powerline network adapters for AV with 4 ethernet ports on each, which should cover my items in each location, I just hope that they work across the three floors in this house. I know that each floor has a different trip in the electric cabinet but was told the power adapters use the earth which should be one circuit? Anyway, thanks again for your help and if you see me back on this thread it didn't work!!!

Sean
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:26 PM