none
Pc restore failed... from hp ex 485 to lenovo y410. RRS feed

• Question

• I have hp ex 485 server.
    It backs up 2 lenovo laptop, one dell desktop everynight.
    Lenovo y 410 had 3 partition 
    1) hidden recovery partition-  Hp server would not back up that partition
    2) C: main partition with vista home premium - backed up by server ( 50 gb)
    3) D: data partition: backed up by server ( 80 gb)

I lost some files( accidently ) and settings on my lenovo Laptop y 410.  Having Hp ex 485 , I though not a big deal.. I try to restore the drive with " Pc restore disk"...

1) 1st trial of Pc restore.. recognized both C and D partition and try to restore went on for 36 hrs and finally gave "network error". 

Laptop -- I used ethernet "non gagabit connection" and server has gagabit connection and both connected with "D link" gigabit switch.

When I restart laptop, Laptop boot to visat with "restored C drive".. but there was no d drive.

2) 2nd trial: Hp Pc restore identified both drive that I can select to restore...restore started and shwoing more than 24 hrs to restore...

So I called HP .. they informed me " not use switch" and "use router to connect serve and laptop". I immediately cancelled the 2nd run of "pc restore".......disconnect everything with "att westlink wireless/4 port DSL router/switch".....

3) 3nd trial -- with laptop and server connected with "router"....
                    when I try to boot off hard drive... I ge the error "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart"... I figured that would happen as I cancelled 2nd run of pc restore prematurely and boot sector/mbr other stuff may have been messed up....

anyway... went with " Pc restore" again... boot off Cd... Plug USB to load Netowrk driver... Home server identified... enter password...slect the back up that I want to restore from... and then......NO OPTION TO CHOOSE C: DRIVE AND D: DRIVE...... I freaked... out.....read most forum and no info how to handle this.....some basic info that people have hard time with restore when Dell/hp/ibm computer are loaded with "hidden parition which has restore informatin"....

4) I decided to restore my laptop to factory style with "restore vista disk from lenovo", re partiotion my hard drive with C and D drive with "same space" as past..... 
                                     then again....Home server identified... enter password...slect the back up that I want to restore from... and then......NO OPTION TO CHOOSE C: DRIVE AND D: DRIVE.

My priamry purpose to spend money on home server was to have " painless restore" as claimed by Hp and microsoft....I promote this functionality to all my family and frineds and they bought Hp server too...They all have some dell/hp computer... and they all think that their computer are backed up and will have painless...restore...

---- some clarifications.
    --- My netowrk is working well.
    --- My other lenovo laptop ( different model and hard drive ) is fine and I am not selecting that back up to restore from
    -- My lenovo y 410 hard drive is alive and well and working in great condition
    -- no virus issues

I am not sure that I did something wring here......but would appreciate some help with this....

Monday, March 2, 2009 6:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First of all I think you did nothing wrong to begin with.  Any component in your network connection, including drivers / nic settings could be the problem.  The best thing to reduce this risk would be a direct cable connection between the Home Server and the client. You can achieve this by connecting the two with a crossed pair UTP cable (few dollars, euro's or whatever at your local computer shop).

For most people restore works as advertised, so you did the right thing promoting WHS. Also IMO troublesome restore is better then no restore option at all!

The only things you could have done different were in the 2nd trial; Instead of restoring both partitions you shold have selected only D partition for restore. Also interupting the restore probably wasn't the best thing to do (in retrospect)

Concerning your current problem:

1. Mount (open) the most recent backup for both the C and the D partition on another client. Write down the size of each of the mounted partitions in bytes.
    2. Does the restore program show the C and D partitions (with a red 'X")?
      1. If no, is the disk recognised at all? (run Disk Manager from the restore wizard).
        1. If the disk is not recognised you may need to provide drivers on a USB thumb drive as described in Home Computer Backup and Restore, page 18. Please note you need to select the drive and then Scan for drivers. Also please note drivers from a 64 bit system will not work with the 32 bit restore CD.
      2. If the disk is recognised but doesn't show any partitions please check if you can create "C" and "D" partitions with size in bytes equal or larger than the sizes found previously (step 1 above) If this is not possible please proceed with step 2.3.2 below.
      3. If yes, during the "lenovo factory restore" the actual available space on the disk may have been reduced.
        1. Please run Disk Manager from the restore wizard and check the current size (in bytes) for the C and D partition. If the sizes are less then the sizes found previously (step 1 above):
        2. Delete the D partition
        3. Expand the size of the C partition to a value which is equal or slightly larger (1Mb) in size then original C partition (step 1 above).
        4. Create a new D partition, don't worry about the size.
        5. Also please check of there is any free space (often there's a few Mb at the end of the disk) on the disk.
        6. Now you should be able to restore the C partition.
    3. After you restored the C partition (check if the system boots) you will need to restore the D partition.
    4. If there was sufficient free space left on the disk:
      1.  Increase the size of the D partition using an advanced disk management program such as Paragon Partition Manager Express (free, will not run on 64 bit OS).
      2. After expanding the disk restore the D partition.
    5. If there is not sufficient free space on left on the disk, or if you can not/do not want to resize :
      1. Restore the D partition to another hard disk (or an empty partition on another hard disk)
        1. Mount the other hard disk in a client PC
        2. Restore to this disk (you can run ClientRestoreWizard.exe from the C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server folder)
      2. copy the files back to the D partition of your laptop.

Hope this works out for you!

Also please a file a bug on the Windows Home Server Connect Feedback site! If possible please include a detailed description of all your hardware, especially NIC's  / router / switch / driver version.

• Marked as answer by KapWHS Wednesday, March 4, 2009 1:14 AM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 1:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all I think you did nothing wrong to begin with.  Any component in your network connection, including drivers / nic settings could be the problem.  The best thing to reduce this risk would be a direct cable connection between the Home Server and the client. You can achieve this by connecting the two with a crossed pair UTP cable (few dollars, euro's or whatever at your local computer shop).

For most people restore works as advertised, so you did the right thing promoting WHS. Also IMO troublesome restore is better then no restore option at all!

The only things you could have done different were in the 2nd trial; Instead of restoring both partitions you shold have selected only D partition for restore. Also interupting the restore probably wasn't the best thing to do (in retrospect)

Concerning your current problem:

1. Mount (open) the most recent backup for both the C and the D partition on another client. Write down the size of each of the mounted partitions in bytes.
    2. Does the restore program show the C and D partitions (with a red 'X")?
      1. If no, is the disk recognised at all? (run Disk Manager from the restore wizard).
        1. If the disk is not recognised you may need to provide drivers on a USB thumb drive as described in Home Computer Backup and Restore, page 18. Please note you need to select the drive and then Scan for drivers. Also please note drivers from a 64 bit system will not work with the 32 bit restore CD.
      2. If the disk is recognised but doesn't show any partitions please check if you can create "C" and "D" partitions with size in bytes equal or larger than the sizes found previously (step 1 above) If this is not possible please proceed with step 2.3.2 below.
      3. If yes, during the "lenovo factory restore" the actual available space on the disk may have been reduced.
        1. Please run Disk Manager from the restore wizard and check the current size (in bytes) for the C and D partition. If the sizes are less then the sizes found previously (step 1 above):
        2. Delete the D partition
        3. Expand the size of the C partition to a value which is equal or slightly larger (1Mb) in size then original C partition (step 1 above).
        4. Create a new D partition, don't worry about the size.
        5. Also please check of there is any free space (often there's a few Mb at the end of the disk) on the disk.
        6. Now you should be able to restore the C partition.
    3. After you restored the C partition (check if the system boots) you will need to restore the D partition.
    4. If there was sufficient free space left on the disk:
      1.  Increase the size of the D partition using an advanced disk management program such as Paragon Partition Manager Express (free, will not run on 64 bit OS).
      2. After expanding the disk restore the D partition.
    5. If there is not sufficient free space on left on the disk, or if you can not/do not want to resize :
      1. Restore the D partition to another hard disk (or an empty partition on another hard disk)
        1. Mount the other hard disk in a client PC
        2. Restore to this disk (you can run ClientRestoreWizard.exe from the C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server folder)
      2. copy the files back to the D partition of your laptop.

Hope this works out for you!

Also please a file a bug on the Windows Home Server Connect Feedback site! If possible please include a detailed description of all your hardware, especially NIC's  / router / switch / driver version.

• Marked as answer by KapWHS Wednesday, March 4, 2009 1:14 AM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 1:33 AM
  • thanks for the answer...Makes Lot of sense.

Will try that tonight.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 6:03 AM
  • oh my god... I can not believe.

I gave 5th trial...after reinstalling Windows vista from OEM CD... Recreating C and D partition with same exact size... and use " P C restore CD from HP".. I was able to select C and D partition to restore now.....BUt as before it states it will need more than 10 hrs at night when it started... said need 14 hrs in am... I went to work...forget about it when I came home....Finally came to laptop with no hope... and  I SEE THAT RESTORE COMPLETE WINDOWN... boot again.. My eyes can not believe...everyhing back to last good back up inlcluding.. C and D drive and all data on D drive....

Windows home server Rocks.....I am glad it worked...I guess it need atleast 12 hrs for 50 gb of data....

I am a happy camper now...Thanks Bruber for the help.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 1:14 AM