please help me RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

Several months ago i bought a new laptop with windows xp professional...

... my husband was complaining that some of his programs dont want to open Help topics ... so today he was playing with the computer and inserted a cd with windows, i dont know where he got it from. he fixed the problem of opening help topics, but now a pop up is saying that my windows is not genuine, on top all activex controls where deleted, watchging a movie looked like it was back in the 70s :P

i repaired this problem, but... 

i tried every thing that i could find in the forum, even deletng xxxxdll (cant remember the files name) like my windows was fake ... hacked ... and nothing worked.

this is my report:

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6MTWG-MXXVQ-MD97B

Windows Product Key Hash: AH7r1AbhvVw+ojdgNEJ9cL2feO4=

Windows Product ID: 55274-642-6503322-23268

Windows Product ID Type: 1

Windows License Type: Volume

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro

Download Center code: 4FTLSH6

ID: dd6e4e09-5677-4a1c-b6dd-f340c8419480

Is Admin: Yes

AutoDial: No

Registry: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.540.0

Signature Type: Microsoft

Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->

Scan: Complete

Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: 3

Cache refresh Interval: 147 seconds

Extended notification delay(non-genuine): N/A

Extended notification delay(un-activated): N/A

All disabled: N/A

Reminder reduced: N/A

File Exists: Yes

Version: 1.5.540.0

Signatue Type: Microsoft

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 100

Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-275-80070002_7E90FEE8-171-80070002

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)

Default Browser: Failed to get browser name.

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>dd6e4e09-5677-4a1c-b6dd-f340c8419480</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-MD97B</PKey><PID>55274-642-6503322-23268</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-842925246-1336601894-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>CLEVO Co. </Manufacturer><Model>M5X0V</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix</Manufacturer><Version>4.06CJ15   </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="33"/><Date>20051031000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>6A3A3A07018400D2</HWID><UserLCID>0424</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Europe Standard Time(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110424-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>43261DEC587E500</Val><Hash>RO+a4Odl0+KKDU2K2zXTOLzbVEE=</Hash><Pid>73406-640-4321567-57742</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

please help me,

Vicky

Monday, August 21, 2006 3:03 AM

Answers

• Vicky:

I would ask him where the original receipt and media he purchased is - if you have a high quality counterfeit (examples here: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/counterfeit.mspx) then you will qualify for a free WGA Kit (essentially, a copy of XP Pro for free!).

Otherwise, I would recommend purchasing a genuine copy from your local genuine reseller or direct from Microsoft.

I'm sorry for the bad news, but if you have any other questions, please let me know,

-phil

Monday, August 21, 2006 7:42 AM

All replies

• Vicky,

Hubby managed to install a nongenuine copy of XP Pro onto your computer.

If the computer is functioning properly and the original problem is taken care of, then use the Key Updater utility to apply the genuine Product Key on your Certificate of Authenticity (on a laptop the COA is normally on the bottom) to your current installation.

You can find the Key Updater Utility here: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx  The Utility needs full access to the internet, so please set a special rule in your firewall program, if you are using one, for the Utility.

Monday, August 21, 2006 3:13 AM
  • Oh, I knew it.

this is trouble now... i ran to find the pack which i got with the laptop....all manuals and cd ...and so on... and NO WHERE a cd for windows.. :(

even its not on the bottom ...

What can i do now????

thank you very much Dan!!

Monday, August 21, 2006 3:40 AM
  • Vicky:

I would ask him where the original receipt and media he purchased is - if you have a high quality counterfeit (examples here: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/counterfeit.mspx) then you will qualify for a free WGA Kit (essentially, a copy of XP Pro for free!).

Otherwise, I would recommend purchasing a genuine copy from your local genuine reseller or direct from Microsoft.

I'm sorry for the bad news, but if you have any other questions, please let me know,

-phil

Monday, August 21, 2006 7:42 AM
  • Vicky,

I made an assumption that your laptop already had a genuine installation of XP and that hubby overwrote it with the nongenuine version that is on it right now.

I am now thinking that the laptop never had a genuine installation of XP on it in the first place.  Here's why:

1.  You do not have any kind of genuine MS XP CDROM or a manufacturer's equivalent.  In and of itself this does not mean that the installation of XP on the computer is not genuine, as many major computer manufacturers do not give you an XP CD or equivalent when you buy.  Instead they equip the computer with a Recovery partition on the hard disk that you would use to reinstall Windows if necessary.  To look for a recovery partition, open up Disk Management and look for a small unlettered partition.  If you cannot find it, the partition may be hidden.  In such case refer to the manual to see if the manufacturer icuded a recovery partition.  If no such thing and no CD, it is almost certain that this is a pirated copy of XP.

2.  Your computer does not have a Certificate of Authenticity affixed to it.  This is a big red flag, beause if the computer came with XP preinstalled from an OEM (original equipment manufacturer), the OEM is required to put this label on the computer.

3.  The manufacturer of the laptop is Clevo, a company that specializes in making "generic" laptops for distributors to resell to customers.  Clevo does not regularly ship their laptops with Windows preinstalled, rather leaving that task to the distributor.  In your case, the distributor may have installed a pirated copy of XP.

If my hunch is true, then you are the victim of software counterfeiting.

Right now, there is no question about the current installation of XP Pro---it is showing as nongenuine with a Blocked Key.

Some good news!  Your installation of Office 2003 Pro is genuine!  (Office status:  100 means genuine)

Here are some options to consider:

1.  Do nothing.  Nothing about WGA Validations or Notifications prevents the computer from operating normally.  You will not be able to get some nice-to-hav download from Microsoft, and you will not be able to go to Windows Update and manually get updates.  You will still get security-related critical updates pushed out to you if you have Automatic Updates turned on.

2.  Take the Genuine Windows Offer.

3.  Return to the place where you bought the computer and demand that they give you genuine software.  Do not accept any crack they give you that is supposed to circumvent WGA---it will be caught up to by MS.

4.  If you have a genuine CD for a previous Windows operating system such as W98 or WMe, you can use that to install an retail upgrade of XP Home, the least expensive way to get a genuine copy of XP.

5.  Consider using a free OS:  http://www.freeos.com/

Sorry I couldn't give you better news.

Monday, August 21, 2006 3:12 PM
  •  

Hey,

I couldnt describe it better :o( ... this is exactly what happened ..

Thank you for al your help, i think i will buy a new one .. and put a password on my laptop :o)

Vicky

Monday, August 21, 2006 8:16 PM
  • Vicky,

You're welcome

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 1:11 AM