none
Windows Home Server Died How to back up data

Question

• SO my windows home server died after trying to server installation after the 120 day trail expired now i cant do a server reinstallation only new installation and i have to much important data (5TB worth) so can i just plug the drives into my desktop and back them up that way then format them then start a new installtion?
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 1:57 AM

Answers

• There are a couple of options available. If you had duplication turned on for all shares previously, you can remove the system drive from your server, connect it to another computer, and scrub all partition table information off of it using e.g. Acronis Disk Director or other partition management software (even diskpart, the old command line tool that's part of Windows). Then put the disk back in your server and see if you get a reinstallation option.

If you don't, you can simply remove the disks from your server one at a time, connect them to another computer, and copy the data off them. This procedure is explained in more detail here .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Dyno69 Saturday, October 17, 2009 1:59 PM
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 1:54 PM

All replies

• There are a couple of options available. If you had duplication turned on for all shares previously, you can remove the system drive from your server, connect it to another computer, and scrub all partition table information off of it using e.g. Acronis Disk Director or other partition management software (even diskpart, the old command line tool that's part of Windows). Then put the disk back in your server and see if you get a reinstallation option.

If you don't, you can simply remove the disks from your server one at a time, connect them to another computer, and copy the data off them. This procedure is explained in more detail here .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Dyno69 Saturday, October 17, 2009 1:59 PM
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 1:54 PM
  • Thanks alot, of course i had duplication turned on so ill try that way first.
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 1:59 PM
  • My WHS unit died and get get it working again.  I connected my drive to another computer and can see data files, but cannot open them or copy due to security.  How do I override the security from WHS to gain access to the files?

Dan Clash

Friday, December 28, 2018 5:35 AM