New Panorama From Video greyed out in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• The "New Video Panorama From Video" button is greyed out in Windows 10. The tooltip for the button is "Panorama from video is only available for Windows 7 and newer."

Panoramas from images area available and work fine. I was prompted to install C++ runtime; this went fine.

I assume the app is looking for specific Windows version numbers, rather than "anything above 6.1."

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 4:11 AM

All replies

• That's a negative.

I have ICE 2 installed on four different Windows 10 machines and the panorama from video option works on all of them without any issue, so I'm not sure what's different about your installation.

I do remember that in ICE 1, panorama from video depended on Media Foundation in Windows 7 and above.
    Media Foundation's forum can be found here and they might be able to help you troubleshoot if anything is wrong with Media Foundation on your machine which is preventing ICE from offering stitching from video.

I'm just your fellow user. I'm not sure if anyone at Microsoft or Microsoft Research is going to work on ICE going forward since Matt Uyttendaele and Eric Stollnitz have both left for Adobe Research and Facebook Research, but I hope you can figure out why this feature isn't available for you.

Perhaps you can try activating the Guest account on your computer and launching ICE 2 from that other desktop account to see whether there's anything on your machine specific to your own profile which is stopping that feature from functioning. 

Also make sure that you have installed the most recent version of your graphic card's latest driver from your manufacturer's website.

I'm sorry I don't have more of an answer for you as to why you're seeing this behavior but I don't believe that the version of Windows has anything to do with it on Windows 7 and up.

::

I know that it would be simpler if ICE's panorama from video would just work for you, but you can use VirtualDub or QuickTime Pro to export the frames of a video to a folder of images which you can then subsample for frames to feed to ICE. There are multiple plugins available to allow VirtualDub to read all sorts of video formats.

After you have your folder of video frame images I find that File Explorer's thumbnails view and List view are the most helpful for creating a specific number of columns or rows of photos which you can use to divide your total number of frames into something less strenuous for ICE. Just click with your mouse outside the photos and drag your cursor with the mouse button held down to select a single column or row of photos which you can then drag into ICE.

Anyway, that's about all I can tell you.
    Do you have any other machines that you can test this feature on?

Best regards, 
    Your fellow panner,
    N

Monday, March 14, 2016 3:45 AM