Validation results say that the product key found on my computer is not valid for use in my region. RRS feed

• Question

• I am very confused! I switched on my computer this morning to find a black desktop background and a message saying my copy of windows is not valid. I downloaded the WGA software and the result has come back that he product key is not valid in my region. I've had this computer and had it online for over a year, and whenever I've been promted to check it for authenticity it has come back fine. Why now is it telling me to spend £100 on a genuine copy of XP? I've not installed anything new recently, I always update with the autmatic updates and have never had a problem before. I'm running XP (SP3) and I'm in the UK, if thats any help.
    Thanks
    Helen
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 7:01 AM

Answers

• Hello Hellen,

Thank you for providing us with your MGA results. Based on your MGA Diagnostic results you have a geographically blocked PID.  A "Geographically blocked PID" is a Volume License Key that is valid, but was licensed solely to a corporation or larger enterprise/business. Blocked VLK's are Product Keys that Microsoft has received consent from the original owner to block usage of. A VL Product Key is non-transferrable to individuals. In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Please visit Compaq Technical Support and request them to send you the recovery media for your paticular model of computer. This will allow you to restore the computer as if it were new. 

Contact HP 

Worldwide

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Obtaining a Recovery CD or DVD set

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Hopefully this will help you out some :-)

Take care and thank you

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:29 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:29 PM
  • Hey Helen,

Please visit
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ then locate heading Know The Facts and click on learn more. You will find detailed information regarding associated risks with using non-genuine software.

Did you take the opportunity to contact Compaq Technical Support and request the recovery media for your model of computer? I provided you with direct links to help. The recovery media should not be expensive but you would have to inquire with Compaq. This will save you monies from having to purchase a copy from a store.

Honestly the bottom line is Windows was installed with a now blocked VLK.  As far as being at risk I can't say but the chances are very good. Let me provide you with some information regarding using non-genuine Windows software. Under NO circumstances should someone try to download/distribute ISO images for software from a P2P file sharing site or use a second-hand burned copies of software. Research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and other potentially harmful malware. One file in particular was very alarming.  This file was an administrator account giving the attacker full control over both your system and data.  I would be very concerned about your system integrity because Windows is non-genuine. Helen if you like use your favorite engine and research the potential risks.

Hopefully this has provided more information as well as will safeguard your system.

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:55 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:54 PM

All replies

• Hello HellyBoo,

VaValued Customers,

We understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

Please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Step 2 is to look on the computer itself, in the documentation you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 3:44 PM
  • Here are the diagnostics results

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID
    Validation Code: 13
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J
    Windows Product Key Hash: Ro/Y7HENE9CfW7lW+QtlNbYQEE8=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-640-8365391-23549
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {F7EC87CF-5FCD-4AC3-978E-0C9266D5E36D}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 13
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.bin[hr = 0x80070714]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.dat[hr = 0x80070714]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.sig[hr = 0x80070714]

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{F7EC87CF-5FCD-4AC3-978E-0C9266D5E36D}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VPK3J</PKey><PID>76487-640-8365391-23549</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1482476501-1580436667-1343024091</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Model>Deskpro EP/SB Series</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Version>686T2</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="1"/><Date>19990806000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7F023B1F01840059</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 0019:Compaq Computer Corporation|120CD:Compaq Computer Corporation|1FFEA:Compaq Computer Corporation|1FFEA:Hewlett-Packard Company
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

The computer was "inherited" from my brother, who bought it from his workplace some years ago when they were upgrading their systems. However the paperwork is not in my possesion and I cannot see any stickers attached to the machine anywhere indicating a COA.

Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 7:40 PM
  • Hello Hellen,

Thank you for providing us with your MGA results. Based on your MGA Diagnostic results you have a geographically blocked PID.  A "Geographically blocked PID" is a Volume License Key that is valid, but was licensed solely to a corporation or larger enterprise/business. Blocked VLK's are Product Keys that Microsoft has received consent from the original owner to block usage of. A VL Product Key is non-transferrable to individuals. In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Please visit Compaq Technical Support and request them to send you the recovery media for your paticular model of computer. This will allow you to restore the computer as if it were new. 

Contact HP 

Worldwide

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Obtaining a Recovery CD or DVD set

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Hopefully this will help you out some :-)

Take care and thank you

Stephen

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:29 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:29 PM
  • So basically I have to buy a new copy of windows? Am I at risk if I dont and carry on using this one regardless? I am having a new computer built for me but I wont be ablke to collect it for at least a month and plan to continue using this one in the meantime. Am I safe to do this?

Thanks again for your help.

Helen
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:20 PM
  • Hey Helen,

Please visit
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ then locate heading Know The Facts and click on learn more. You will find detailed information regarding associated risks with using non-genuine software.

Did you take the opportunity to contact Compaq Technical Support and request the recovery media for your model of computer? I provided you with direct links to help. The recovery media should not be expensive but you would have to inquire with Compaq. This will save you monies from having to purchase a copy from a store.

Honestly the bottom line is Windows was installed with a now blocked VLK.  As far as being at risk I can't say but the chances are very good. Let me provide you with some information regarding using non-genuine Windows software. Under NO circumstances should someone try to download/distribute ISO images for software from a P2P file sharing site or use a second-hand burned copies of software. Research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and other potentially harmful malware. One file in particular was very alarming.  This file was an administrator account giving the attacker full control over both your system and data.  I would be very concerned about your system integrity because Windows is non-genuine. Helen if you like use your favorite engine and research the potential risks.

Hopefully this has provided more information as well as will safeguard your system.

Thank you,

Stephen

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:55 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:54 PM