File Counts between the two points don't always match up RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been using SyncToy daily for nearly a month now to synchronize my home and office notebook computers.
    There are more than 20,000 files for the synchronization.

So far, I feel SyncToy works well. At least, the updated files (and usually under my close monitor) are synchronized well.

However, I realize that the file counts between the points don't really match up. The bigger problem is I don't know which file is left out in the synchronization.
    I had to copy the whole folder from time to time to ensure the whole folder is identical between the two points. After a while, the file counts will appear to be different again.

The recent checking starts to show 1 file count diff, after the fresh total copy in 2 days ago.

-------------------

Had SyncToy gone through thorough verification and validation? I am really relying SyncToy to carry out a perfect synchronization to avoid any potential missing files in my critical data.

Does anyone share the same experience?
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:06 PM

Answers

• There are some files like desktop.ini, thumbs.db that we do not copy over. To know for sure what files are differing on both sides try the command below and it should tell you - you can check the file that varies and figure out if it is a file you expected to be in sync.

robocopy /L <left folder> <right folder>

Thanks

Deepa

Thursday, September 4, 2008 7:19 PM
  • Hi Deepa,

That recommendation is very useful. I should had known about robocopy earlier.

Yes, I found the 1 file count diff is due to desktop.ini in one of the sub folder, deep into the folder structure.
    And I don't need that desktop.ini to be synchronized, and hence it isn't an issue for me anymore.

Thanks for regaining my total confidence on SyncToy/Sync Framework again.

-----------------

Suggestion for the next version of SyncToy - more reporting feature like the robocopy summary result will certainly help users understand what is going on. Smile
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 8:44 PM

All replies

• There are some files like desktop.ini, thumbs.db that we do not copy over. To know for sure what files are differing on both sides try the command below and it should tell you - you can check the file that varies and figure out if it is a file you expected to be in sync.

robocopy /L <left folder> <right folder>

Thanks

Deepa

Thursday, September 4, 2008 7:19 PM
  • Hi Deepa,

That recommendation is very useful. I should had known about robocopy earlier.

Yes, I found the 1 file count diff is due to desktop.ini in one of the sub folder, deep into the folder structure.
    And I don't need that desktop.ini to be synchronized, and hence it isn't an issue for me anymore.

Thanks for regaining my total confidence on SyncToy/Sync Framework again.

-----------------

Suggestion for the next version of SyncToy - more reporting feature like the robocopy summary result will certainly help users understand what is going on. Smile
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 8:44 PM