Support for Windows XP SP1 ends October 10, 2006 RRS feed

• Question

• I work for local government in the Uk and we are currently undergoing a change control process to bring in a Windows XP Pro SP2 build into the organisation. Currently our approved build is WinXP Pro SP1 - yes, we sound a bit behind the times but we encountered some major issues Win2k SP4 and we are a lot more wary of installing new Service Packs without heavy testing (we have a lot of 3rd party apps in the organisation). Since running a Windows Update yesterday we have downloaded and installed the latest version of the WGA and we are getting a message from the taskbar icon stating 'Support for Windows XP SP1 ends October 10, 2006'. Has anyone got any ideas on how to prevent the notifications from happenning??? Or are we now just stuck with it until we update to SP2?? We've done the 'change the notification settings' routine but it doesn't make any difference.
    Tuesday, June 13, 2006 2:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Sizzle,

Has this update been deployed to your entire organization?  How many desktops are you dealing with? 

Following the steps provided by Phil earlier will indeed turn off the balloon notification, but it does not disable the tray application.   The reason behind this was to allow users the option of turning the notification back on at a later date.

Have you tried this:

1) Right mouse click on the Taskbar.
    2) Choose Properties from the menu.
    3) Make sure that there is a check mark next to
    Hide Inactive Icons.
    4) Click the Customize button.
    5) Scroll down the list and find the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications icon.
    6) Click on it and choose from the drop down menu Always Hide.

Let me know if this works for you.  Also if you could let me know the details I asked for above (regarding your org) I will see if I can come up with any other suggestions/solutions.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Thursday, June 15, 2006 4:38 AM

All replies

• Sizzle:

Correct, the SP1 support does stop on that date. However, the notifications software is designed to let users on RTM and SP1 be notified that their support stops soon.

You can right-click on the system tray icon and "change notification settings" to disable Service Pack Notifications.

If this does not work, can you tell me which balloons/dialogues are showing up still? My team is awaiting feedback on this.

-phil liu

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 6:07 PM
  • Thanks for the response.

Yes, we have changed the notification settings. However it does not make any difference - when you hover the mouse pointer over the WGA taskbar icon it still displays the message "Support for Windows XP SP1 ends October 10, 2006".

It's not something that we want our users to see as it will no doubt cause unrequired support calls. If you have any way of stopping the notification we would be extremely grateful if you can forward it to us.

Many Thanks.....

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 8:04 AM
  • Hi Sizzle,

Has this update been deployed to your entire organization?  How many desktops are you dealing with? 

Following the steps provided by Phil earlier will indeed turn off the balloon notification, but it does not disable the tray application.   The reason behind this was to allow users the option of turning the notification back on at a later date.

Have you tried this:

1) Right mouse click on the Taskbar.
    2) Choose Properties from the menu.
    3) Make sure that there is a check mark next to
    Hide Inactive Icons.
    4) Click the Customize button.
    5) Scroll down the list and find the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications icon.
    6) Click on it and choose from the drop down menu Always Hide.

Let me know if this works for you.  Also if you could let me know the details I asked for above (regarding your org) I will see if I can come up with any other suggestions/solutions.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Thursday, June 15, 2006 4:38 AM
  • We have only installed it onto about 10 machines so far so it's not too bad - we can deal with that! Our organisation is populated by around 6000 PCs. Luckily it wasn't depolyed to all of them.

Many Thanks for you assistance.

Monday, June 19, 2006 3:10 PM
  • That's excellent news!  At this time the target audience of this update is not managed organizations such as yours.  Choosing not to deploy it broadly will not cause any adverse impact.

I'm glad that you posted to the forum!  Please let me know if you have any additional questions or feedback. 

Thanks,
    Michelle

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 12:40 AM