none
Strange Preview Bug RRS feed

All replies

• I see it.  There have been several complaints about this.
    Hans Passant.
    Monday, August 18, 2008 12:16 AM
  • this sounds similar to that problem that we had with the c# thread. I'll look into it tomorrow. If it's the same thing, we know what state causes the error, but not how it gets into that state. If it has occurred again, I'll see if I can get investigation of this raised in priority.

Matt
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Monday, August 18, 2008 2:25 AM
  • Here's another one, currently on page #3 in the C# General forum.  Looking at the traffic with FireBug, I see this:

POST GetMessages, response = 500 Internal Server Error.
    {"threadId":"40f91130-b0e1-48c4-b39f-07b2bc255374","start":0,"maxCount":20}

The error is not visible anywhere on the page.

If I re-issue the POST, I get this response:
    {"Message":"There was an error processing the request.","StackTrace":"","ExceptionType":""}

That's as far as I can take it.  You should have no trouble repro-ing this bug.

Hans Passant.
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:34 AM
  • OK, thanks Hans
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 3:12 PM
  • Hans, are you still seeing a problem with that 2nd thread? I'm not seeing it.

I'm still looking at the original problem... I can reproduce that.
    Friday, August 22, 2008 6:28 PM
  • Yes, the problem is still there.  Beware that you have to be on the forum view page, it is now on page #8.  Dropping down the preview is what fails.  I was wrong, there is actually a "There was an error" message display at the top of the page as soon as you click the drop-down arrow.  It is definitely *not* the same kind of problem you debugged before at the C# General forum.  The thread shows without a problem if you open it in a new tab.
    Hans Passant.
    Friday, August 22, 2008 11:42 PM
  • Ah, ok... then I found the problem this afternoon. Those threads have couple REALLY long messages in them, so the max JSON message size (don't remember the exact property off the top of my head) was set too small. I increased the size on my dev box this afternoon and the 1st thread loaded fine... I'll try the 2nd one too, but it should be good. Should be able to have this fix out in the next couple weeks...

Matt
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 5:13 AM
  • Great, sounds like you found it.  While you're at it, note the 7 duplicate posts in that thread.
    Hans Passant.
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 9:04 AM