Detail desired for One Care Scans RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    Most anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware programs give much more details about what was scanned and how many
    files or folders, registry keys, definitions etc. I can't seem to be able to find any detail whatsoever.
    I am also wondering about how this program compares to other leading anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-malware programs like Bit Defender etc.
    I am also wondering if this program is compatible with other leading programs. Thanks, Larry
    Larry
    Monday, January 5, 2009 6:15 AM

Answers

• OneCare is designed to be simpler to use and hides the details from us for that very reason. You can get more detail by opening OneCare and clicking on Change Settings, Logging tab, create support log.

As for how it compares, in my opinion it is a good solution for protecting the PC, but it isn't perfect and can miss malware. It has a few other quirks that you can learn about by scanning the forums, but for protection it does a decent job.

Compatibility with other programs? Never run multiple anti-malware programs on the same computer concurrently that offer "real-time" protection capabilities.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 5, 2009 2:09 PM

All replies

• OneCare is designed to be simpler to use and hides the details from us for that very reason. You can get more detail by opening OneCare and clicking on Change Settings, Logging tab, create support log.

As for how it compares, in my opinion it is a good solution for protecting the PC, but it isn't perfect and can miss malware. It has a few other quirks that you can learn about by scanning the forums, but for protection it does a decent job.

Compatibility with other programs? Never run multiple anti-malware programs on the same computer concurrently that offer "real-time" protection capabilities.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 5, 2009 2:09 PM
  • Stephen,

I want to thank you for your response. I did as you instructed, going to "Create Log File", but did not find the types of details I was looking for. In addition, One care is only logging about 35,000 files scanned, whereas other programs were scanning over 200,000 files, though in the 1st OneCare scan I did,
    it seems that it scanned 133,000 files. 

I do trust and appreciate having One Care as opposed to not having a program, and lately I haven't been able to decide on which of the top rated programs I want to invest in. That process may take me a while, and I feel much safer in the mean time with One Care, while I continue to contemplate etc. 

I also want to thank you for your advice about not running more that one anti-malware program at a time that protects in real time.   

Larry
    Larry
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 5:11 AM