Here's my development environment:

• Windows XP SP3
      • .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
      • VS2008 Professional SP1
      • Office 2007 SP3

I have the following projects in my solution:

1. A C# class library for storing common classes and extension methods
      2. A VB class library for storing data sets and table adapters
      3. A C# class library for storing shared resources and settings (access modifier is public in both cases)
      4. A VB Windows Forms application for interacting with an Access database
      5. A VB VSTO Excel template that interacts with the database in very specific ways and has a reference to the Windows Forms project

The Windows Forms application and the VSTO Excel template share a setting and this setting is stored in the resources class library. I have no problem using the shared setting. Where I have problems is when I try to update such setting. My problem is that if I update the setting like this

SharedSettings.Default.DbsNameDataSource = location
    SharedSettings.Default.Save()

The setting is updated JUST for the Windows Forms application or the VSTO Excel template, but not for both. That is, if I update the setting in Excel (or in the Windows Forms application launched from Excel), changes aren't reflected in the Windows Forms application.

The definition of SharedSettings is

Imports SharedSettings = SolutionNameResources.Properties.Settings

I added the Settings file through the View Code functionality of VS2008 settings, where I put the following code in the constructor:

/// <summary>
            /// Creates a new instance of this class.
            /// </summary>
            public Settings() 
            {
                ConfigurationUserLevel none = ConfigurationUserLevel.None;
                Configuration exe = ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfiguration(none);
                Debug.Print("exe = {0}", exe.FilePath);

ConfigurationUserLevel userLocal = ConfigurationUserLevel.PerUserRoamingAndLocal;
                Configuration local = ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfiguration(userLocal);
                Debug.Print("local = {0}", local.FilePath);

ConfigurationUserLevel userRoaming = ConfigurationUserLevel.PerUserRoaming;
                Configuration roaming = ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfiguration(userRoaming);
                Debug.Print("roaming = {0}", roaming.FilePath);
            }

When I use the shared setting, I can see that settings are stored in different files, specific to the project using them. What should I do so saving a setting in one project means saving this very same setting in the other?

Where's the forum for this thread?

Kind regards,

Carlos Mallen

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 9:42 PM

All replies