none
How can I reduce the Microsoft Windows footprint to something closer to OEM install?

Question

• When windows arrives pre-installed on my shiny new laptop , the footprint is always pretty small - around 18 to 20GB depending on the version of Windows (Ultimate, Pro, Home, etc).  Oh, and I'm writing in regards to win 7, though have have win 8 one unit, but no intention of upgrading the others.

But software has to be kept up to date and what used to be a 20GB footprint on my 128GB SSD,  even after using Windows disk clean,  has become 50 GB for Windows, 20GB of which is just for the installer directory and 10GB for just the $PatchCache$.

Compressing this folder, as suggested by the Microsoft Answers forum produces negligible results.

Can't these files be moved to an external device?  I recognize the device would need to be there at boot time during installation processes that require reboots.  

IMHO - MSFT needs to rethink it's carelessness of going from 15% of my new system to 40% of my system just for Windows in a little over a year. 

• Moved by Carl Cai Monday, January 12, 2015 7:35 AM not related to winform controls or API and look for more related forum
    Sunday, January 11, 2015 7:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi soho11,

Thank you for visiting the MSDN forum.

I’m afraid that it is not the correct forum about this issue, since this forum is to discuss ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects.

I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, January 12, 2015 7:34 AM
  • They'll help you over here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7?tab=Threads

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Monday, January 12, 2015 10:30 AM