Data evened out on multiple hard disks RRS feed

• Question

• WHS started annoying me with the fact that it can't duplicate files on my 2 1TB hard disks. I'm currently using 1TB of data, and 255 more GBs for duplication (for a total of 1.25TB). It should have plenty of space to duplicate files. When I look into the Computer Management, i see that my first HDD has 1% free space on it.

It is currently putting all the non-redundant data on the first hdd ! It only has no space to duplicate because of that !

Is there a real solution to this problem, or do i need a third party app like this one i found : http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/6466-drive-balancer-app-now-available/

It's currently ____ me off quite a bit, since i definitely have the space for all my data AND duplication. It's only doing a poor job of balancing the non-redundant data throughout my 2 hdds.

Thanks a lot community :)

Neken.

Friday, August 20, 2010 5:02 AM

Answers

• I'm going to guess that you started with a single drive, added a second when you filled the first one, copied more data to your server, and decided to turn on duplication for the new data? Drive Extender is not designed to "balance" your data across multiple drives that way you seem to want. Once data is on your server, it won't be moved elsewhere unless Windows Home Server absolutely has to do so. So one can, if one has a great deal of data that isn't duplicated, find oneself in a situation such as the one you're in now. What I would recommend, in order of priority:

1. Add another drive. Yes, it seems like you shouldn't have to, but it's what I would recommend first. You will never regret having more storage. :) Or
    2. Remove some of the unduplicated data temporarily, so you can turn duplication on for those shares for which you want to use it. Or
    3. You can try that "drive balancer" app, though it's (obviously) unsupported.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 20, 2010 1:23 PM

All replies

• I'm going to guess that you started with a single drive, added a second when you filled the first one, copied more data to your server, and decided to turn on duplication for the new data? Drive Extender is not designed to "balance" your data across multiple drives that way you seem to want. Once data is on your server, it won't be moved elsewhere unless Windows Home Server absolutely has to do so. So one can, if one has a great deal of data that isn't duplicated, find oneself in a situation such as the one you're in now. What I would recommend, in order of priority:

1. Add another drive. Yes, it seems like you shouldn't have to, but it's what I would recommend first. You will never regret having more storage. :) Or
    2. Remove some of the unduplicated data temporarily, so you can turn duplication on for those shares for which you want to use it. Or
    3. You can try that "drive balancer" app, though it's (obviously) unsupported.

Friday, August 20, 2010 1:23 PM
  • I had the 2 drives since the first day I've used the server. In fact, even before the first boot I had installed the other hard drive.

I tried removing some stuff that wasn't redundant to put it back on the server, but the server put the data back on the first disk ... The server is definitely putting all my non-redundant data on the first disk, which is REALLY REALLY stupid.

Adding a third drive shouldn't be needed at all.

I think I'll be forced to use the software ....

Friday, August 20, 2010 2:50 PM
  • One final question/comment: Are you using the server shares (\\server\sharename or \\localhost\sharename), or accessing the server file system directly (D:\Shares\sharename)? Copying files directly to D:\Shares\etc. is not supported and has the potential to cause exactly the issue you describe. All file system operations, even from the server desktop (note: desktop use is also not supported, though it's very convenient), should be performed against the shares by UNC path or mapped drive.

Friday, August 20, 2010 5:23 PM
  • no i'm always using the UNC paths.

Friday, August 20, 2010 5:33 PM
  • no i'm always using the UNC paths.
    What are the component numbers in the Console (Settings button, Resources tab)?  Also, just to clarify, when you say "It is currently putting all the non-redundant data on the first hdd", do you mean the primary drive (the one with the 20 GB OS partition)?  How do you know it's going there (meaning where are you looking to see that that is the destination of that data)?
    Friday, August 20, 2010 5:38 PM
  • no it's going on the 980GB partition of the first HDD.

i'm using the advanced console management addin to go into "Computer Management" -> "Disk Management". It shows the first 1TB hard drive (that's divided into the 20gb and 980gb partitions) has currently 1% free disk space. The other disk has ~78% free space.

---

sorry, the 1% free space is on the 980gb partition. the 20gb has free space and is okay.

---

i don't have the componennts numbers, but it's a EX490, and the hard disk i added is the same model as the one that came with it (seagate 7200 1TB).

Friday, August 20, 2010 5:40 PM
  • no it's going on the 980GB partition of the first HDD.

i'm using the advanced console management addin to go into "Computer Management" -> "Disk Management". It shows the first 1TB hard drive (that's divided into the 20gb and 980gb partitions) has currently 1% free disk space. The other disk has ~78% free space.

---

sorry, the 1% free space is on the 980gb partition. the 20gb has free space and is okay.

---

i don't have the componennts numbers, but it's a EX490, and the hard disk i added is the same model as the one that came with it (seagate 7200 1TB).

Since you have an EX490, it should be relatively up-to-date.  However, you should check the component numbers when you get a chance (just in case).

In any event, can you take a screenshot of the Disk Management MMC, post it to a pic-hosting site, then link to it here?

Friday, August 20, 2010 5:52 PM
  • I'll do it tonight, i'm at my job right now, i can't access it :P

and yes i keep my server up to date :)

---

oh, i'd like to add that i also use the duplication info addon, that tells me which file is on which hdd.

Friday, August 20, 2010 5:53 PM
  • I'll do it tonight, i'm at my job right now, i can't access it :P

and yes i keep my server up to date :)

---

oh, i'd like to add that i also use the duplication info addon, that tells me which file is on which hdd.

OK.  I'm just curious (something doesn't sound right).  FYI, the primary drive (the one with the 20 GB partition) should be used last for data storage.  It should use the secondary drive with the least amount of free space first (except leaving 20 GB of free space on each secondary drive for file expansion).  I don't know why yours isn't doing that.  In any event, you'll probably have to do a Server Recovery to get the OS functioning properly.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 5:59 PM
  • it doesn't use the 20gb partition at all right now.

"It should use the secondary drive with the least amount of free space first"

why the least amount of free space first ??

why not the hdd that has the highest amount of free space first ?

because that's my current problem. it's putting all of my non-redundant data on the hdd that has the least amount of free space.

Friday, August 20, 2010 6:02 PM
  • it doesn't use the 20gb partition at all right now. 
    To clarify what I'm saying, I'm just mentioning the 20 GB OS partition so you know which drive I'm talking about.  The one with the 20 GB OS partition is called the primary drive.  Every other drive is called a secondary drive.  (And no, it won't use the 20 GB OS partition for data at all.  That's only for the OS and installed add-ins.)

"It should use the secondary drive with the least amount of free space first"

why the least amount of free space first ??

Because this way, if one of the hard drives fails, the data restore process (in terms of having to re-rip CDs/DVDs) won't be as bad.  See the Drive Extender Technical Brief for a detailed explanation.

why not the hdd that has the highest amount of free space first ?

because that's my current problem. it's putting all of my non-redundant data on the hdd that has the least amount of free space.

If the data is going to the secondary drive, that's normal.  However, if it's going to the primary drive (and you still have sufficient free space on the secondary drive), something is wrong.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 6:21 PM
  • you were right, it's all going to my secondary hard drive.

though it still doesn't make the problem NOT present :P my secondary hard drive is full and it can't do duplication anymore because of that.

Friday, August 20, 2010 10:37 PM
  • you were right, it's all going to my secondary hard drive.

though it still doesn't make the problem NOT present :P my secondary hard drive is full and it can't do duplication anymore because of that.

Then you need to follow Ken's first suggestion:  add another drive.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 11:34 PM
  • in my opinion that's the very definition of a bug in the design ...
    Monday, August 23, 2010 3:31 AM