PC client to two servers? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if a client PC can belong to more than one WHS server?

It seems that installing Connector Software a second time just removes the first installation.

Tks

Monday, February 23, 2009 6:34 PM

Answers

• A client can be enrolled with only one server at a time. Assuming both servers are using the same exact version of WHS, you can switch between the two servers by running (default location) C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\Discovery.exe. This will (re)register the computer with the other server. You may have to reconfigure backups afterward; I don't need to switch between servers for any of my computers so I'm honestly not sure. (And I'm travelling the next two weeks, so I can't readily check.)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Stainmore Todd Monday, February 23, 2009 7:29 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 6:45 PM

All replies

• A client can be enrolled with only one server at a time. Assuming both servers are using the same exact version of WHS, you can switch between the two servers by running (default location) C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\Discovery.exe. This will (re)register the computer with the other server. You may have to reconfigure backups afterward; I don't need to switch between servers for any of my computers so I'm honestly not sure. (And I'm travelling the next two weeks, so I can't readily check.)
    • Marked as answer by Stainmore Todd Monday, February 23, 2009 7:29 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 6:45 PM
  • Thanks, Ken - very helpful.  Enjoy your travelling!

Monday, February 23, 2009 7:29 PM
  • Stainmore Todd said:

Thanks, Ken - very helpful.  Enjoy your travelling!

Business this week, pleasure (visiting Microsoft for MVP Summit) next. So yes and no. Or no and yes, really. :)

Monday, February 23, 2009 8:56 PM