none
VS 2015 - NuGet Bootstrap update doesn't show new version

Question

• Howdy,

I'm seeking to update Bootstrap to v. 3.5.5 in a project under the new VS2015 installation.

I run Install-package bootstrap -Version 3.3.5, from the NuGet console and the responses indicate it is installed.

However the version of the BootStrap.css in wwwroot\lib\bootstrap\dist\css is still the prior version, and no other Bootstrap.css files exist in the project's directory tree.

Where is the supposed updated Bootstrap.css and why is the prior file not replaced?

Thanks! - Karl Kaiser

Karl

Thursday, August 27, 2015 3:25 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I'd probably ask in Microsoft's ASP.Net forums:

http://forums.asp.net/

As Microsoft's ASP.Net forums are on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Thursday, September 03, 2015 10:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Karl K,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

The newest version of bootstrap is 3.3.5, refer to: http://getbootstrap.com/

>>However the version of the BootStrap.css in wwwroot\lib\bootstrap\dist\css is still the prior version, and no other Bootstrap.css files exist in the project's directory tree.

What is the old version?

Please try to re-launch your visual studio to see whether the version is changed to the 3.3.5.

If it doesn't changed, I suggest you could create a new project, and then download the bootstrap from the nugget to add it. I tested this issue with a new project, and after installing the bootstrap, the version number is 3.3.5, it is the latest.

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, August 27, 2015 8:51 AM
  • The original version of Bootstrap was the 3.0.0 version which is packaged with the latest Visual Studio.

I have relaunched VS and the version is the same. I'm reading the version from the header of the main file BootStrap.css, plus the File Modified date.

I want to update the version in a project that I am building, so starting a new project isn't a solution.

However, I followed your instructions, creating a new ASP.Net MVC project, and immediately ran the Install-Package command in the NuGet command window. I go the same affirmative response, but I can see no sign of the new bootstrap.css.

? Maybe part of the problem is where the new bootstrap.css should be? The only one I see in the project's file system is in wwwroot\lib\bootstrap\assets\dist\css.

Thanks,

Karl Kaiser

Karl

Thursday, August 27, 2015 10:10 PM
  • Hi karl K,

Please check the following steps below:

(1) Create a new ASP.NET MVC project, go to Tools -> Nuget Package Manager -> Manage Nuget Packages for Solutions...

Search for Bootstrap, you will see the following window:

Click the "Uninstall", and research it, you will see the 3.3.5 version, and then install it, After installing, open the bootstrap under Content\bootstrap.css, you will see the version 3.3.5:

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, August 28, 2015 7:50 AM
  • Hi Jiayi,

This confusion seems caused by different project architectures between ASP4 and ASP5. This is my first v5 project, but I cannot tell if Bootstrap 3.5.5 is running.

In your example from ASP 4, the Bootstrap files were all together in the folder you reference above.

But in my ASP 5 project, it seems that the update bootstrap files are stored in my c:\Users\....folder system, while in my web project the older Bootstrap.css (only) is still under wwwroot\lib\bootstrap\assets\dist\css\ (no .min.css files). And after running the NuGet install, the version there is still 3.0.0.

Also in the (Client Side) Dependencies\Bower folder, Bootstrap v.3.0.0 is still indicated.

BUT, the server-side dependencies under References\DNX*, list "bootstrap": "3.3.5". And it is also listed in Project.json.

So I'm still wondering how to tell whether my website is running under v3.5.5, and if so, why is v3.0.0 still in the project, and shouldn't the references in Project.json and Bower be updated somehow?

Thanks!

Karl

• Edited by Karl K Sunday, August 30, 2015 9:07 AM
    Friday, August 28, 2015 8:26 AM
  • Hi Karl K,

This forum is about Visual Studio Setup and Installation, as your issue is not related to Visual Studio setup and installation, to redirect you to the correct forum, I will move this case to Where is the forum for forum, and they will redirect you to the correct forum. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Monday, August 31, 2015 7:10 AM
  • Hello,

I'd probably ask in Microsoft's ASP.Net forums:

http://forums.asp.net/

As Microsoft's ASP.Net forums are on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Thursday, September 03, 2015 10:18 PM