CRM 4.0 hardware requirements for about 26,000 users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Any recommendations for hardware requirements for CRM 4.0 for about 26,000 users?

Thanks

Monday, September 12, 2011 3:46 PM

Answers

• From the planning guide in the implementation guide.  I think these will pretty much hold true, but they are based on 320-user simultaneous tests.  Based on how many users will be using the system at any one time actively you may need to use a web farm/load-balancing methodology for the app server and also use clustered db servers.

App server reqs:

Component

*Minimum

*Recommended

Processor

x64 architecture or compatible dual-core 1.5 GHz processor

Quad-core x64 architecture 2 GHz CPU or higher such as AMD Opteron or Intel Xeon systems

Memory

2-GB RAM

8-GB RAM or more

Hard disk

10 GB of available hard disk space

Note Computers with more than 16GB of RAM will require more disk space for paging, hibernation, and dump files.

40 GB or more of available hard disk space

Note Computers with more than 16GB of RAM will require more disk space for paging, hibernation, and dump files.

SQL Server hardware reqs:

Component

*Minimum

*Recommended

Processor

Quad-core x64 architecture 2 GHz CPU or higher such as AMD Opteron or Intel Xeon systems

Memory

4-GB RAM

16-GB RAM or more

Hard disk

SAS RAID 5 or RAID 10 hard disk array

* Actual requirements and product functionality may vary based on your system configuration and operating system.

The minimum and recommended requirements are based on 320-user load simulation tests.

Jamie Miley
    Check out my about.me profile!
    http://mileyja.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    Monday, September 12, 2011 4:55 PM
  • Hi Brian,

The hardware required varies enormously between deployments depending upon lots of factors, such as: availability and performance non-functional requirements, workflows and other asynchronous processing requirements, system integration requirements, concurrency and patterns of usage, the database size (which is affected a lot by activities and attachments), frequency of use and complexity of reports, use of CRM for Outlook and Offline Access, and so on.

Initially, I'd start with CRM 2011. I wouldn't consider using CRM 4.0 for 26,000 users. I'd deploy a farm of load-balanced front end CRM 2011 servers (4 to 20 servers with 4 to 16GB memory and 2 multi-core CPUs each), several back end servers (2 to 8 servers with 4 to 16GB memory and 2 multi-core CPUs each) and a clustered database server (2 servers with as much memory and as many processors as I can afford in an active-passive cluster with lightning storage).

This white paper might provide some interesting insight: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/confirmation.aspx?id=19381.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:33 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:02 PM

All replies

• From the planning guide in the implementation guide.  I think these will pretty much hold true, but they are based on 320-user simultaneous tests.  Based on how many users will be using the system at any one time actively you may need to use a web farm/load-balancing methodology for the app server and also use clustered db servers.

App server reqs:

Component

*Minimum

*Recommended

Processor

Memory

2-GB RAM

8-GB RAM or more

Hard disk

10 GB of available hard disk space

40 GB or more of available hard disk space

SQL Server hardware reqs:

Component

*Minimum

*Recommended

Processor

Memory

4-GB RAM

16-GB RAM or more

Hard disk

* Actual requirements and product functionality may vary based on your system configuration and operating system.

The minimum and recommended requirements are based on 320-user load simulation tests.

Jamie Miley
    Check out my about.me profile!
    http://mileyja.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    Monday, September 12, 2011 4:55 PM
  • Hi Brian,

The hardware required varies enormously between deployments depending upon lots of factors, such as: availability and performance non-functional requirements, workflows and other asynchronous processing requirements, system integration requirements, concurrency and patterns of usage, the database size (which is affected a lot by activities and attachments), frequency of use and complexity of reports, use of CRM for Outlook and Offline Access, and so on.

Initially, I'd start with CRM 2011. I wouldn't consider using CRM 4.0 for 26,000 users. I'd deploy a farm of load-balanced front end CRM 2011 servers (4 to 20 servers with 4 to 16GB memory and 2 multi-core CPUs each), several back end servers (2 to 8 servers with 4 to 16GB memory and 2 multi-core CPUs each) and a clustered database server (2 servers with as much memory and as many processors as I can afford in an active-passive cluster with lightning storage).

This white paper might provide some interesting insight: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/confirmation.aspx?id=19381.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:33 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:02 PM