Multiple PC's more than 3 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I need the ability to add multiple PC's to my OC account really don't want to have 2 or 3 OC hubs to track and maintain I have 8 PC's in my little family.  Please give us an indication as to when will this function become availabe to the mass of serfdom from the great and powerful OZ at microsoft, lol.
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:22 PM

All replies

• I do wish that I could tell you when this will be possible, but I can't, unfortunately, since I don't know. I actually thought we'd see this when 2.0 was released. I don't know the reason it hasn't been done yet, other than to speculate that the problem may be a Billing or Account Management issue.

-steve

Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:30 PM
  •  

On the flash video demonstration there is information in a section that states that more than one subscription is needed for more than 3 PCs.  So if that is the case can the subscriptions be linked for all the PCs to work together.
    Thursday, April 3, 2008 2:17 PM
  • No, subscriptions can't be linked. A Circle is defined by all PCs activated with the same LiveID, which would be a single subscription. A hub within that Circle can only see the status of the PCs in that Circle.
    -steve
    Thursday, April 3, 2008 3:50 PM
  • Man, I really would like this option.  With kids in college, and home computers, I need a circle of 6 or more.  Guess I will need to have two subsriptions for now!?!?!?  Bummer.  I would like to monitor all of them from the same main hub. Here's another question, can one computer be a hub for more than one subsciption?

Sunday, April 6, 2008 1:57 PM
  • Nope.

Subscription = LiveID = 3 PCs = Circle

A hub is part of the Circle it is subscribed to and can't monitor another Circle.

-steve

Sunday, April 6, 2008 2:01 PM
  •  

OneCare is the best, we love it; HOWEVER, we continue to be very frustrated and dissappointed that Microsoft continutes to limit the most needed functionality -- centralized management -- to a mere 3 PC's. The time and cinfusion and frustration related to this limit has forced us to start looking at a replacement product that will allow us to have one billing account and centralized management for all 8 PC's in our office. This 3 PC limit is pure nonsense!
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 2:19 PM
  • Since an announcement was made earlier this year about OneCare for Server, which will be included in the next version of Small Business Server to do just what you desire, I have to think that there may be a light at the end of the tunnel for people like us (yes, I also would like to have more than 3 PCs in a Circle) using OneCare wthout SBS. At the moment, the issue is not technical, as far as I know, but Billing and licensing. I'll throw marketing in there, too, for good measure.

Personally, if you really like OneCare minus this one item, I'd hang in there and perhaps submit some official feedback at http://feedback.live.com  I'll be providing the same feedback to the team (and have been for a while), so perhaps we'll see some action in this area.

-steve

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Hopefully, they will do this with Windows Home Server, too. Having >3 PC's managed through Windows Home Server just seems like a natural to me.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 4:10 PM
  • I have one home computer and now 4 laptops. I would like to run them all of the home computer as this is the one the printer is attatched to Any ideas

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:34 AM
  • You can share the printer using Windows Printer sharing and then add that printer as a network printer on each of the laptops on your LAN - even without OneCare. If you are using OneCare, since a subscription is for up to 3 PCs, using OneCare in a Circle will allow 3 of your 5 PCs to use Printer Sharing from within OneCare,

-steve

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 7:20 PM