Followup to reply to Steven Boots....... RRS feed

• Question

• I have followed your instructions to import my Outlook Email files via restore of my backed-up OneCare disc.

I get all the way through the menu - right up to the point 'Import Personal Folders'. I click 'do not import duplicates', I then click 'Next' to commence the import.  Then I get the following popup, error box:

"File Access denied!  You do not have the permission required to access the file C:\Users\Documents\Restore\12-11-07\

Administrators\EmailFiles\OutlookEmail\Microsoft Outlook Email Settings\archive.pst". 

If only I can achieve this final step!  Steve, you got me this far!  Can you help me out on the final step?!  What can I do to get my email archives back?  Thank you.

ReBell

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 5:00 PM

Answers

• Wow, I'm sorry to read that your problems ballooned!

Anyway, the answer is, "Yes, you can restore the files backed up on one computer to a different computer using OneCare."

The different versions of Vista should not be a problem, but the two gotchas are the ownership of the file and the fact the OneCare will restore to an alternate location if the original location is not available or the file being restores already exists. So, in the case of an Outlook data file, is you installed Outlook and opened it once, a new .pst file was created in the default location for that User profile. If you use the OneCare restore, OneCare will not overwrite that new .pst file. And, if your new User Profile is not the same as the one you backed up from, the data will be written to a different location as it is not the same User as far as OneCare is concerned.

-steve

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:55 PM

All replies

• Hmmm...
                          By the looks of it you are not logged on an administrator account, by logging on an admin account you will probably then be able to restore your files.

Tech4us

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 8:18 PM
  • You may also need to take ownership of the file you wish to import from.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

-steve

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:17 AM
  • on how to 'reclaim ownership to a folder', I somehow managed to zap my entire hard drive on my new HP.  Not to worry - the exercise was tantamount to 'putting myself out of my own misery'. Now I find out that my HP doesn't even have recovery disks - apparently recovery is now on a separate partition of the HD which now cannot even be accessed  - and I have had to express order them from HP.

Nonetheless, I think you were on to something - the Outlook file I have recovered from by OneCare backup disk must first have its identity changed before I can import it into my newly configured Outlook. However, I now to feel like the preverbial blind squirrel that's been chasing after an acorn, i.e., I am beginning to wonder whether what I am attempting is even possible.  I simply need to know whether Outlook files and folders backed up with OneCare may be restored to a wholly different computer?  (actually, as mentioned before, it is the same computer but reset to its out-of-box, new configuration - the backup was preformed BEFORE the reconfiguring).  The one and only thing I can think of that I may have failed to mention before is that the original OneCare backup in question was made while my computer has Vista Home Edition. I was trying to restore it on the same computer, but after I had upgraded to Vista Ultimatum.

PS: I don't blame youfor the problem I created, had I stayed XP, I would have never had any of these problems or wasted so much time.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:19 AM
  • Wow, I'm sorry to read that your problems ballooned!

Anyway, the answer is, "Yes, you can restore the files backed up on one computer to a different computer using OneCare."

The different versions of Vista should not be a problem, but the two gotchas are the ownership of the file and the fact the OneCare will restore to an alternate location if the original location is not available or the file being restores already exists. So, in the case of an Outlook data file, is you installed Outlook and opened it once, a new .pst file was created in the default location for that User profile. If you use the OneCare restore, OneCare will not overwrite that new .pst file. And, if your new User Profile is not the same as the one you backed up from, the data will be written to a different location as it is not the same User as far as OneCare is concerned.

-steve

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:55 PM
  • that may not fall into your realm:

I have used Microsoft Money for 6-7 years - my version being Money 2004.  I have always been diligent with its use, i.e. to say, I back up my Money file onto an external source every day after downloading my bank accounts - in this case, to a 4GB USB Flashdrive.  However, the last time I reset my Money signon password was in September and while resetting it, I checked the little box 'remember my password whenever signing on' and consequently, I have become spoiled with its use.  I have always kept a list of passwords in Excel whenever having to change any password, but apparently, I did not back up my latest Excel master password sheet before zapping my computer (you're right - my problems have compounded).

I now come to find out that the the password I saved three months ago no longer is valid.  I have spent the better part of today re-typing every conceivable password I have ever used in an attempt to restore my Money file without success.  Below the signin point - where I am to type the Money password - there is link that supposely allows someone in my situation to 'reset' my password via a Passport account (which I now believe is Microsoft Office Live - I do have a Live account).  After following this link and changing my password as instructed, I still cannot restore my Money file - the newly created password still is not accepted.

Can you link me to somebody who can instruct me on how to reset my Money sign on password?

Thank you!

ReBell (aka, scooter2)

Thursday, December 20, 2007 8:29 PM
  •  scooter2 wrote:

Can you link me to somebody who can instruct me on how to reset my Money sign on password?

Thank you!

ReBell (aka, scooter2)

Ouch!

A starting point may be this newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.money&cat=en_US_fda0f23c-f299-4019-86c6-e1998434d20d&lang=en&cr=US

-steve

Saturday, December 22, 2007 2:55 AM
  • You have helped me before - so I am coming back you after hitting dead ends in my quest for resolution of my new problem!  This not your area of expertise, but finding help for my issue (below) through Microsoft is about as much fun as sandpapering the rear end of a bobcat.  Please, Please help me if you can I am desperate and am getting nowhere!  Please read thread below!

Scooter2 (ReBell, Tupelo MS).......

No disrespect, but I followed the instructions on both the outside of the packaging my software came in and the advice of moderators on this Microsoft help forum to get to this point.  Did not even know what a 'clean install' was and I had to come to this forum to find out. 

The way I see it is that I have now paid Microsoft twice - once for the pre-installed Vista Home Edition that came with my new HP and a second time when I purchased my Vista Ultimate Upgrade from Staples this past Summer.  I can scan both my sales receipt and Staples statement and email along with my Product Key to Microsoft as proof-of-purchase.  But bottom line, I am locked out of computer and AM UNABLE TO WORK! 

Is there a direct number I might call for this specific issue?  I need a valid Product Key to Activate my Software ASAP!

Thank you!

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

Clean install from upgrade package is NOT supported by Microsoft.

"Scooter2  wrote:

I am typing this message from my wife's computer, I am no longer able to even log onto my Windows Vista on my computer!

Did a clean install of Vista Ultimate late November/early December.  A real BEAR!  I had to totally recover my new HP slimline in the process (may have something to do with my current dilema).  I have been using Vista Ultimate without problem now for four or five weeks.  During this period, every now and then, the 'Activate Windows Now' balloon would pop up, I'd enter the product key as instructed, get error code - key not accepted, but nonetheless, windows would then open, and I would proceed with my work.

Today, the balloon pops up and I enter the key again as before, only this time, I am logged off and given the option of purchasing a new product key!!  The difference this time is that I am totally locked out of my new computer (and work)!!  What gives?!

The error message I am now presented with states that a clean install CANNOT BE PERFORMED from an Ultimate Upgrade program.  Yet, these were the VERY INSTRUCTIONS on the outside of the Vista Ultimate Upgrade package I paid $259 for!

I would prefer to either call Microsoft support or chat with a technician - but I am unable to retrieve the PID number.  Is there either a direct Phone number or could someone please link a chat site with a Microsoft Tech?!  Again, I am unable to even log onto my new computer!  will I be issued a new Product Key for activation?

ReBell (scooter2)

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 5:06 PM
  • I believe that this is what you needed when you originally installed Windows using the Vista Ultimate Upgrade disc, ReBell:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup&p=1&tid=c2e2a2bd-c0ed-4c78-ae89-5eb74dcf2be7&mid=c2e2a2bd-c0ed-4c78-ae89-5eb74dcf2be7

The tech was correct in that the process for doing this is unsupported.

At this point, since you did not successfully activate Windows on that machine due to the key not being accepted, Windows has shut down.

90 day free support - (US) -
    (866) 234-6020
    If 90 days has elapsed, you may be charged $59 per support incident.

I don't think you will be charged for support, but the scenario you followed to install Ultimate as a
    clean install to the HP is unsupported, so to correct the problem, it may need to be a paid incident.

Good luck,
    -steve
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 6:44 PM