2011 On-Premise To 2013 Online RRS feed

• Question

• We use CRM 2011 on-premise with a lot of customizations (custom entities, custom fields, plugins, reports, security roles, etc). These changes are all (I hope) contained in a solution. We now consider moving to CRM 2013 online. It should be fairly straight forward to move our customizations into CRM 2013 online by importing the solutions. However, I am not sure how to move the data over. I googled it and found some 3rd party software which is WAY to expensive. As another options I saw the MS Dynamics CRM 2011 Instance Adapter. However, according to the description this only works for CRM 2011 on-premise to CRM 2011 online (not 2013 online). As another potential solution I found Scribe Adapter for MS Dynamics CRM. My questions are:

* Is there an MS Dynamics CRM Instance Adapter that can migrate to CRM 2013 online?
    * Does the Scribe Adapter support migration from 2011 on-premise to CRM 2013 online?
    * Are there other solutions?
    * What is the most reliable solution keeping all the relationships between records (excluding the expensive 3rd party solution)

Monday, February 3, 2014 1:49 AM

Answers

• Open ticket with Microsoft Support and they will be able to take SQL backup of your database and they will restore in CRM Online. I done this long time ago (at the begining of CRM Online) and it was relatively easy process (however my client had not a lot of custom code).

KG 

My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by hfaun Tuesday, February 4, 2014 5:49 AM
    Monday, February 3, 2014 4:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Scribe can perform the migration from 2011 on-premise to CRM 2013 online. This is surely possible and works well as well. There are couple of other integration software available as well like flow etc. They all can perform the required operation.

Hope this helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
     Minal Dahiya
    blog : http://minaldahiya.blogspot.com.au/

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Vote as Helpful"

Monday, February 3, 2014 11:25 AM
  • Open ticket with Microsoft Support and they will be able to take SQL backup of your database and they will restore in CRM Online. I done this long time ago (at the begining of CRM Online) and it was relatively easy process (however my client had not a lot of custom code).

KG 

My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by hfaun Tuesday, February 4, 2014 5:49 AM
    Monday, February 3, 2014 4:40 PM
  • KG, thanks for the responses. I probably will open a ticket with them. If they do this with importing an SQL backup then will this also port over all customizations? My original idea was to import our customizations and then migrate the data. I am somewhat concerned if the different solutions, code, etc will port over correctly with this approach, especially when it comes to plugins, etc.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:06 AM
  • Minal, I will look into this further. I found quite a few articles that talk about doing the migration with a scribe adapter. However, I did not find any tutorial how to actually do this, i.e. a step-by-step guide. Do you know of any such information?
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:07 AM
  • hfaun,

Having been through a few of these with CRM4>2011, I would verify KG's solution before planning on it. While MS will send you a SQL copy of your online org, I am not aware of any way to get them to import a SQL DB.

The Customizations should import (and upgrade) without any issue, the data is going to be the tricky part. Since there isn't a way to import many of the records you will need to bring in, I would recommend you go with Scribe or one of the other integration solutions.

Your idea about the instance adapter is very interesting. It would require the two environments to be the same (version and customizations), but might work to get all of the data moved over. If you go this route, I'd love to hear how it went.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:31 PM
  • James, thanks for the input. I did look more into scribe but it does not seem straight forward. Also it appears this could be quite costly as usually one tool requires some other tools adding up to several $1,000. It might be too expensive for our small organization. I am now considering exporting all records of each entity and then import them. It will break all the relationships. To recreate the relationships we can write some custom code that first takes a snapshot of the relationships and then reestablishes them after all records of all entities have been imported. I need to see how createdon, modifiedon, etc fields will be affected (hopefully not).

I haven't given up on scribe yet and if I go that route I will post back but it seems more complicated and expensive then doing a DIY solution.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:38 AM
  • That is what I've usually found with Scribe, and have never used it myself.

I do suggest your idea of using the Dynamics Connector Instance Adapter. That looks like it might be your best bet, and could be much easier than the custom code route.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 2:07 PM
  • Hi Hfaun,

Just came across your question in the forums and I am looking for the same thing . How did you resolve the issue.

We have a requirement where we want to migrate from CRM 2011 on premise to CRM 2013 online . We have lots of customizations and we have heavy dependences on the DB. As per my understanding we don't have access to DB and data alone will be migrated. I have few queires here,

1. DB imported by MS will include all the jobs and SP's .

2. We have many console applications(windows application) which we run on daily basis , how can these handled.

3. Can we expose some common services/api to do some functionalities .

Sorry for too many questions but I have been browsing for quite some time now .

Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:21 PM