Genuine Advantage Notifications RRS feed

• Question

• Why does Microsoft require Geniune Advantage Notifications,when I already have the Genuine Advantage Validation Tool installed? Also; is Genuine Advantage Notifications a condition of using valid MS software.

Very disturbing to me; I can understand the anti-piracy initiative;however automatically installing software without my ability to uninstall it ;is unacceptable. Please respond as I believe many other people who LEGITIMATELY use Microsoft as I do;will be very upset with this. Interesting that I have received no response to my question;and almost everyother post since has had a reply.

Monday, May 1, 2006 7:34 PM

Answers

• Phil,

Having read the information you courtesly pointed me to; Let me clarify my post pls.

1) I personally do not have an "issue" with MS trying to prevent piracy. And in fact;am willing to have my o.s. validated;which it is. That being said; MS rollout of " Genuine Advantage Notifications" will cause many "issues" to many legitimate MS customers. The mere fact of MS calling KB905474 "critical" (which is highly debatable) degrades Automatic Updates-Also;having read the Q&A; I do not remember an option anywhere to "opt-in" or "opt-out". To further this aggravation;if there is a option to not download this"critical" update;many people will miss it entirely,because of one of the key features of Automatic Updates itself-"Automatic"!

2) KB905474 displays some of the characteristics of "spyware" as defined by MS itself. And I provide excerpts from the MS Defender website for your convenience: The full text can be found at: (for the benefit of anyone reading this)

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/msft/analysis.mspx

Deceptive Behaviors: Lack of control

1)Resists users attempts to close or remove a program.  

2)Initiates an outbound connection(modem,Internet,etc.) without user consent

3)Initiates autostart or auto update behavior without user consent.

4)Prevents users from installing or removing the program

You may argue that;by downloading this"critical" update;that the user is giving their consent. And again I would point to the fact that;using Automatic  Updates"automatically;inherently precludes many from giving consent.  They simply don't notice. And having no CLEAR option to opt/in opt out; is deceitful in the least. Again;personally; I would rather not have to subject myself to this; however I really do not have a problem with trying to stop piracy.  This however; is bordering on "harrasement"                      

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 3:20 PM
  • Jeff:

Thanks for your comments and clarification. The Genuine Advantage Notifications program does allow for users to opt out of the program. This can be done during the Automatic Updates process (or Windows/Microsoft Updates) process. We understand that not all users might recognize they have this choice and we are using this first English release phase to gather more customer feedback on improvements to the process. Your comments are a valuable part of this process, and we definitely have taken note.

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 12:41 AM
  • Phil,

Thanks for your clarification also. It helped clear up alot of misconceptions. I do believe;however this may end up; that MS needs to be EXTREMELY clear on this specific area. The "Genuine Advantage Validation Tool" and the "Genuine Validation Notifications" program are at the least; so similar in spelling that many people will assume;as I did; that it was just either a patch/fix to "Genuine Validation Tool" and not what it actually is!! Again; I fully support MS efforts to stem  piracy;however in this area;espescially with a program such as "Genuine Advantage Notification" it can be easily misunderstood. And as a side note: I just purchased a laptop with XP Pro from Dell;today! and in the course of updates; the inevitable happened!! Not what you expect tho; it wouldn't even update-right out of the box!!! Imagine my frame of mind today!!! I did get it resolved with Dell and proceeded with updates.  In the course of which I did see the option not to download "Genuine Advantage Notifications". However;again it was not very distinguishable from the many updates that were offered. In this issue;ANY grey area could potentially be very damaging to MS. Again thanks for your time; and I welcome a follow up with me at your earliest convenience. Thank You,

Jeff

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 2:51 AM
  • Phil,

Again;

I do appreciate your response. And I realize that you may have to answer many questions regarding this program;many of which can be construed as rude;nasty etc. I do appreciate your professionalism in dealing with myself.

One last comment;if I may?

There may be "NO" grey area;from Microsoft's perspective. I do assure you;however, that this program has "grey" areas;from a customer's point of view. And as you may know; image is everything. I merely point out that many people could be easily confused by the wording of these "high priority" updates. Which;in itself; can be a point of contention for many people. I myself;am now fully satisfied with your clarifications on this issue. I do appreciate your attention to my concerns;and if I can be of any further assistance(from a customer's perspective) in this matter. I would be happy to oblidge.

P.S. I do appreciate your concern about my laptop; Everything's great now :-)

Thank You,

Jeff

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 2:52 PM

All replies

• Jeff:

Please realize your post was made during weekend hours. We make every attempt to answer as many posts as possible in reasonable time.

The purpose of Windows Genuine Advantage (whether notifications, validation, etc) can be found at our official FAQ at:

www.microsoft.com/genuine

Thanks,

-Phil Liu

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 7:42 AM
  • Phil,

Having read the information you courtesly pointed me to; Let me clarify my post pls.

1) I personally do not have an "issue" with MS trying to prevent piracy. And in fact;am willing to have my o.s. validated;which it is. That being said; MS rollout of " Genuine Advantage Notifications" will cause many "issues" to many legitimate MS customers. The mere fact of MS calling KB905474 "critical" (which is highly debatable) degrades Automatic Updates-Also;having read the Q&A; I do not remember an option anywhere to "opt-in" or "opt-out". To further this aggravation;if there is a option to not download this"critical" update;many people will miss it entirely,because of one of the key features of Automatic Updates itself-"Automatic"!

2) KB905474 displays some of the characteristics of "spyware" as defined by MS itself. And I provide excerpts from the MS Defender website for your convenience: The full text can be found at: (for the benefit of anyone reading this)

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/msft/analysis.mspx

Deceptive Behaviors: Lack of control

1)Resists users attempts to close or remove a program.  

2)Initiates an outbound connection(modem,Internet,etc.) without user consent

3)Initiates autostart or auto update behavior without user consent.

4)Prevents users from installing or removing the program

You may argue that;by downloading this"critical" update;that the user is giving their consent. And again I would point to the fact that;using Automatic  Updates"automatically;inherently precludes many from giving consent.  They simply don't notice. And having no CLEAR option to opt/in opt out; is deceitful in the least. Again;personally; I would rather not have to subject myself to this; however I really do not have a problem with trying to stop piracy.  This however; is bordering on "harrasement"                      

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 3:20 PM
  • Jeff:

Thanks for your comments and clarification. The Genuine Advantage Notifications program does allow for users to opt out of the program. This can be done during the Automatic Updates process (or Windows/Microsoft Updates) process. We understand that not all users might recognize they have this choice and we are using this first English release phase to gather more customer feedback on improvements to the process. Your comments are a valuable part of this process, and we definitely have taken note.

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 12:41 AM
  • Phil,

Thanks for your clarification also. It helped clear up alot of misconceptions. I do believe;however this may end up; that MS needs to be EXTREMELY clear on this specific area. The "Genuine Advantage Validation Tool" and the "Genuine Validation Notifications" program are at the least; so similar in spelling that many people will assume;as I did; that it was just either a patch/fix to "Genuine Validation Tool" and not what it actually is!! Again; I fully support MS efforts to stem  piracy;however in this area;espescially with a program such as "Genuine Advantage Notification" it can be easily misunderstood. And as a side note: I just purchased a laptop with XP Pro from Dell;today! and in the course of updates; the inevitable happened!! Not what you expect tho; it wouldn't even update-right out of the box!!! Imagine my frame of mind today!!! I did get it resolved with Dell and proceeded with updates.  In the course of which I did see the option not to download "Genuine Advantage Notifications". However;again it was not very distinguishable from the many updates that were offered. In this issue;ANY grey area could potentially be very damaging to MS. Again thanks for your time; and I welcome a follow up with me at your earliest convenience. Thank You,

Jeff

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 2:51 AM
  • Jeff:

Our Marketing, Public Relations, and other front-face departments are very sure about the Genuine Advantage Program as a whole (including Validation, Notifications, and such). Much, MUCH work has gone into this program, and we appreciate the feedback you've given us.

Please note, there are specific reasons which classify Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications as a high-priority update (which are not determined by myself, but the other groups here). We do not want to detract from the purpose of High Priority updates that may help users find security risks on their computers - there is NO grey area.

I'm glad the Dell Laptop was fixed without major issue.

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 5:32 AM
  • Phil,

Again;

I do appreciate your response. And I realize that you may have to answer many questions regarding this program;many of which can be construed as rude;nasty etc. I do appreciate your professionalism in dealing with myself.

One last comment;if I may?

There may be "NO" grey area;from Microsoft's perspective. I do assure you;however, that this program has "grey" areas;from a customer's point of view. And as you may know; image is everything. I merely point out that many people could be easily confused by the wording of these "high priority" updates. Which;in itself; can be a point of contention for many people. I myself;am now fully satisfied with your clarifications on this issue. I do appreciate your attention to my concerns;and if I can be of any further assistance(from a customer's perspective) in this matter. I would be happy to oblidge.

P.S. I do appreciate your concern about my laptop; Everything's great now :-)

Thank You,

Jeff

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 2:52 PM