SyncToy bug: found time difference in backing up files in EFS folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been using SyncToy 2.0 to backup some files on a EFS folder to an
    external drive.
    Until recently, my XP operating system fail and I have to do a reinstall. I
    also copy back the EFS certficate on internet explorer that would be required
    to open these encrypted files. However, after I recreate the folder pair, I
    found that these files on the external drive have a time difference of around
    8 hours! This means that all these many small files have to be sync again. Is
    there a solution? Or is it still safe to backup files in EFS folders?

Friday, September 25, 2009 4:46 AM

Answers

• Hi -

The problem is probably not the EFS folders - it is the fact that this is on an external hard drive formatted as FAT. You will find that all the files on both sides are identical. You will need to allow the sync to take place so that the metadata also recognizes this fact but your file data should be safe.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 6:29 PM

All replies

• Hi -

The problem is probably not the EFS folders - it is the fact that this is on an external hard drive formatted as FAT. You will find that all the files on both sides are identical. You will need to allow the sync to take place so that the metadata also recognizes this fact but your file data should be safe.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 6:29 PM
  • Hi,

I have found that Synctoy 2.1 has fixed the above problem:

"Fixed the UI issue where reported file time were off by the difference between local time and UTC when destination is a FAT volume."

I would like to know how to make a simple test to prove that the above has been fixed before and after upgraded to version 2.1 ?

Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:03 AM