Client hard drives no longer recognized by server RRS feed

• Question

• I have had to do some re-partitioning of disks on client PCs and the affected disks are no longer identified as being part of the backup.  For instance, what was Drive D: before is now shown as a local disk with a missing location and a failed backup.  Also, adding/removing an IDE hard drive, which I do for local data, upsets the server's identification of existing drives in the backup.  When this happens the Configure Backup function fails as it can no longer access the hard drives.  The only solution I have seen is to remove the PC from the backups altogether with the WHS Console and start fresh, throwing away all the good backups. 

Is there a way to update or retain a disks identification on the server?  Why does the Configure Backup function abort instead of helping to configure what is there?  Is my only choice to really Remove the Computer and start all over?
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 6:26 PM

All replies

• Usually you should be able, to not select the old drives and simply add the new detected volumes.
    This will not remove the old backups.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 9:02 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, but I don't understand what you mentioned.  The Configure Backup aborts.  When I look at View Backups, it shows that I have incomplete backups, some of the volumes are marked complete have the original volume names, one is marked failed and shows (Local Disk) with the location showing as missing.  There is nothing to select to make it be recognized accurately.
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:55 PM
  • If Configure Backup aborts, could be a different issue hitting (I see this only happen, if the workstation is down or unreachable). Do you have a software firewall other than the Windows Firewall installed on the client?
    Olaf
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Sure I have a fire wall, Comodo and I turned off the Windows firewall.  However, the only possible communication problem I have had is trying the Configure Backup.  I am using the WHS Console on the client PC and used the Configure Backup at the beginning to set up the backups.  I have been using the console since then to open the backups and copy files to the client.  Backups are continuing on 3 of the 4 volumes that were configured.  It seems that once a configure is done, if anything changes, the Configure Backup fails.
    Thanks for your time.

Phil
    Monday, September 21, 2009 1:48 AM
  • If anything changed, WHS cannot know, if that change was intended or not, so you have to confirm. (Could be a removable drive or something like that, which you would swap again, so a changed disk ID is not the same any more and needs to be configured spearately.) Since the configuration is initiated from within a Windows Home Server session (the console is a special Remote Desktop connection to WHS) it needs to be able to communicate with the client.
    If the firewall on client site blocks this communication attempt, that might explain your experience.
    Olaf
    Monday, September 21, 2009 7:00 AM