Help... Windows no longer activated. An unauthorized change has been made. RRS feed

• Question

• Hey

Took my pc out of hibination yesterday to find my operating system not working correctly control panel will not open etc. and then a notice pops up, Windows activation... An unauthorized change was made to windows, you will no longer receive notifications etc.
    ERROR: 0x80070426
    The service has not been started.

Ran a virus scan and found some problems which it fixed.
    uninstalled programs from within last 5 days (the only one was new version of itunes) 8.0 i think

Tried this from a post from darin but still no joy?

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  services.msc
    2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.
    3. The Services window should now open.
    4. Scroll down to Software Licensing, then right-click on it and select Properties.
    5. Under the General tab, click on the Stop button.
    6. Set the Startup Type to Automatic, then click Apply.
    7. Next, under Service Status, click on the Start button.
    8. Last, restart your computer.    

The second set of steps are the Manual steps to Force Start the Software Licensing Service. 

If you have access to the Start button:

1) Click the Start button
    2) Type: cmd in the Start Search field
    3) At the top the Start window, you will see cmd.exe
    4) Right Click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator
    5) Type: net start slsvc 

If you do not have access to the Start button:

1) Click the option that launches an Internet Browser
    2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field
    3) Find the file cmd.exe
    4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator
    5) Type: net start slsvc

Ran MGAdiag and here is the results:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: 0x80070426
    Cached Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0x80070426
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-94VQY-9XMT6-XDKRW
    Windows Product Key Hash: 3kqvSg2JvfIXykg9j00KMos6O18=
    Windows Product ID: 89577-025-6715126-71029
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6001.2.00010100.1.0.016
    ID: {757B3218-CD25-4547-A919-36C28BD6F394}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Business N
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 6.0.6001.18000

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{757B3218-CD25-4547-A919-36C28BD6F394}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>6.0.6001.2.00010100.1.0.016</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XDKRW</PKey><PID>89577-025-6715126-71029</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3932181197-656316230-2433506872</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>Pavilion dv8000 (EK765EA#ABU)     </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>F.05</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20051012000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>48313507018400EA</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-002F-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>104A1DBA53D5F16</Val><Hash>IgFHgHlZ7V3TgGcIq3YCgD8YiQ4=</Hash><Pid>81602-907-2855393-68340</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="A1" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Software Licensing service is not running.

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: MgAAAAEAAgABAAEAAQABAAAAAwABAAEAnJ/671zbEhJeP6Djjqjy9KJJ6r1ycaxWtMs=

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes, but no SLIC table
    Windows marker version: N/A
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: N/A
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name    OEMID Value    OEMTableID Value
      APIC            PTLTD              APIC 
      FACP            HP            Piranha
      MCFG            PTLTD           MCFG 
      SSDT            PTLTD         POWERNOW

All comments most appreciated

Kind Regards

Mark.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Mark,

I have passed this on to my Engineer and he will contact you as soon as he is able.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 10:14 PM

All replies

• Hello pagentlean,

Would you tell me the full error message you receive when you use the "net start slsvc" command?

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 10:24 PM
  • Hi Darin

I usually get when running command prompt: net start slsvc

The software licensing service is starting

The software licensing service could not be started

A system error 53507 has occurred

But the odd times it may start.

Regards

Mark
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:15 AM
  • Hi Mark,

I'm not going to lie to you. I don't, currently, know how to fix your issue.  I do, however, have some options for you (and their Pros and Cons).  But first some background on the issue.  

We are seeing more of the "The Software Licensing Service has stopped (and won't restart)" issue recently. Although the Software Licensing Service is part of the WGA sub-system, the process for starting and stopping services is a Core Vista system and would normally be supported by Vista Support. But since this issue is directly affecting the Genuine status of our users, I want to get to the bottom of why this is happening.

We have found that we can categorize this into sub-issues by the error message the user gets when he/she tries to restart the Service. We currently know the reason (and the fix) for the "System Error 3" error and are close to figuring out the "System Error 5" but we do not have much information on your "System Error 53507"

This brings me to the options I mentioned.

1) You can create a Service Request (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029), post the Confirmation Number in this thread, and I will have my Engineer contact you and troubleshoot the issue. The goals of this option would be to first, find out as much information on this variation of the issue, and then, try to fix the issue on your computer.

Pro: You would be helping us understand and develop a fix for this issue.
    Con: It will, most likely, take longer to finally resolve you issue, then the other options.

2) You can go to http://support.microsoft.com and contact Vista support for assistance. The goal of this option would be solely to resolve your issue.

Pro: Probably faster resolution then option 1. Hopefully resolution would not involve reinstalling Vista.
    Con: Since you are using a Retail copy of Vista you may still have some time left on the 90days of free support, otherwise it will, most likely, be paid support.

3) You could reinstall Vista. The goal of this option is to get you resolved as quickly as possible.

Pro: Fastest resolution
    Con: Having to backup all your importent files, reinstalling all your applications, resetting all your setting back to the way you want them and so on.

If you decide on Option 1, let me know and post the confirmation number and I will get the ball rolling with my engineer.

If you decide on one of the other options, good luck and please accept my apologies for me not being able to resolve the issue for you.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:21 PM
  • Hi Darin

Thank you for that information. tried option 2 and got a response from microsoft support...

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Dear Sir/Madam, 

Thank you for your email about validating Microsoft® Windows®.

It was concerning to hear that you have received a notification about validating your Windows operating system. I would like to inform you that Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) programme has been launched by us as part of our continued effort to raise awareness of counterfeit software and to create a better experience for users of genuine Windows software. I suggest you to follow the onscreen prompts which will take you to a web site that will outline your options.

Please visit the following web link and click on ‘Validate Windows’;

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.aspx?displaylang=en-gb

If your validation is not successful and you feel that you have a genuine copy of Windows, please contact one of our WGA experts on 0870 60 10 100 and choose option 0. The lines are open from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays.

Many thanks for contacting us.

AZMA NASEER

Customer Service Professional

Microsoft Customer Services 
    .........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Option 2 a no go then?

Option 3 would have to be a very last resort

Could we please try option 1  

Kind Regards

Mark

Friday, March 20, 2009 11:01 AM
  • Hello Mark,

I should have told you how to explain this issue to Vista support so you wouldn't get that responce.

My assumption is that in your description of the issue, you mentioned 'Non-Genuine' and 'Can't Validate' and Vista Support, of course, redirects you to WGA support. Being 'Non-Genuine' and not being able to 'Validate' are just symptoms of the Service not starting and those words are just going to cloud the issue.

If you still want to try Option 2, I suggets contacting Vista Support again and explain to them:

"I have a Windows Service (the Software Licensing Service) that will not start. The process of starting and stopping a service is supported by Vista support, correct? if so, Please help me fix this issue

Once you get into troubleshooting the issue with the Vista Tech, you can mention the genuine stuff. If the tech then trys to send you back to WGA, just tell him:

"I have already talked with WGA, they have found that the Software Licensing Service will not start. Once Vista support fixes the Service (so it will start) the Non-genuine issue will also be fixed"

If you, instead, want to try option 1, please go http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 and create a wga service requiest. You will get a Confirmation number, post it in this thread. I will then give my engineer the number and he will look up the case, and contact you using the contact information, you provided.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Friday, March 20, 2009 8:23 PM
  • Ok thank you Darin. I have created a service request...

Thank you for submitting your incident online!
    Incident Details
    Incident Title:
    Software Licensing Service
    Support Request Number:
    Kind Regards

Mark
    Friday, March 20, 2009 9:13 PM
  • Hi Mark,

I have passed this on to my Engineer and he will contact you as soon as he is able.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Friday, March 20, 2009 10:14 PM
  • Hi Darin

Just received a reply message from microsoft support....
    .........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email about issues with Windows Service Licensing Service.

I am sorry to read that Windows Service Licensing does not start on Windows Vista™. Due to the nature of the technical query, it has not been possible for me to answer your query. There are number of ways that you can obtain technical information from our support team.

A useful resource is the Knowledge Base on our website, where we have published a large collection of articles and Frequently Asked Question (FAQs) about Microsoft products. You can access it by going to;

http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1                            

You can also go online and visit our Newsgroup to post your technical question at the following website, or alternatively chat with one of our Most Valuable Professionals (MVPs);

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/commnews                                     

If you do not find the answer that you are looking for or wish to discuss alternative support options please call our Customer Services team on 0870 60 10 100. Our lines are open from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays. These support options can also be viewed at;

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?ln=EN-GB

Thank you for getting in touch. 

Kind regards,  

JACOB RAJ

Customer Service Professional

Microsoft Customer Services

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Just a thought will my operating system fully stop working after x amount of days?

Kind Regards

Mark

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:11 AM
  • Hi Mark,

The mail you received is from regular WGA support. My Engineer will be taking over the case from Tech Jacob and will contact you at the phone number you listed in the Service Request

And no, as far as this issue goes, Vista should not just stop working.  Unless something else goes wrong, Vista should stay at it current level of usability.

Darin MS
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 5:43 PM