none
Enriching an MPI .Net application with visualization RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am curious if someone maybe has tried to do something like the following.

I would like to extend my MPI .Net application with some visualization. The basic idea would be that the application is submitted as a job with the Job Scheduler, it performs some calculations using all the nodes of the cluster (as it does currently) but apart from that one of the nodes would display a visualization window, which would reflect the progress of the job in real time.

The job itself relates 3D modeling, so I would like to use for example Direct3D to display the current state of the job.

I was thinking if it's possible to include that directly in the application, which is written in C# with MPI .Net. If not, I was also considering opening a socket which the application would transmit to, and the visualization window (being a standalone Direct3D application in that case) would listen on the same socket for the data about the progress of the modeling.

Does it sound like something possible to do? Has anyone tried to do something similar? I would appreciate a lot any ideas or suggestions.

Best,
    Przemek
    Friday, October 17, 2008 10:44 AM

Answers

• Yes, your later approach is the way to go; launch your MPI.NET application on the cluster and then connect and communicate back to your visualization application running on your desktop.

thanks,
    .Erez

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:29 PM