Restoring files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,
    I am new to this.
    I've backed up files and folders from my pc to WHS. it was easy
    But restoring files was little bit dissappointing because you have to drag and drop.
    One should have an option to manually enter folder directory where to restore the files.
    I also think it would be better if we could also restore files from WHS to any pcs instead of accessing the pc where you want to restore the files.
    Do I make any sense?

cheers

Thursday, July 26, 2007 6:46 PM

Answers

• There are two ways to restore from a backup. One is to use the WHS Restore CD. That will only restore a complete disk image (minus excluded folders), and only to an effectively identical set of hardware (you can restore to a larger drive, but not smaller, and you shouldn't be surprised if restoring to a different motherboard doesn't work out very well).

The other type of restore is the one you're talking about, I think, where you open a backup from a client PC and copy files from the backup. You can do that on any client PC, not just the one the backup is from, so you can easily get access to those files on other PCs.

As for restoring "to any pcs" I think you're trying to say that you want to be able to "push" a restore out from WHS to a client PC, rather than have someone sitting at the client PC request a full restore or individual files? I don't think that would work. It certainly wouldn't for a full restore, because anything that's pushed from WHS will have to have software running on the client. And it wouldn't really work well for a partial restore, because it might be very disruptive to what someone using that PC was doing.
    Friday, July 27, 2007 3:06 AM
  • Well, WHS is intended to be easy to use for technically unsophisticated administrators (Mom or Dad). Making someone decide where they want to put a file by going through some sort of folder selection process before they can even get to the file would probably be something that those users would complain about as being too difficult. And you get the same effect by just opening an additional Explorer window and navigating to the destination for your drag and drop operation, don't you?
    Friday, July 27, 2007 11:52 AM

All replies

• There are two ways to restore from a backup. One is to use the WHS Restore CD. That will only restore a complete disk image (minus excluded folders), and only to an effectively identical set of hardware (you can restore to a larger drive, but not smaller, and you shouldn't be surprised if restoring to a different motherboard doesn't work out very well).

The other type of restore is the one you're talking about, I think, where you open a backup from a client PC and copy files from the backup. You can do that on any client PC, not just the one the backup is from, so you can easily get access to those files on other PCs.

As for restoring "to any pcs" I think you're trying to say that you want to be able to "push" a restore out from WHS to a client PC, rather than have someone sitting at the client PC request a full restore or individual files? I don't think that would work. It certainly wouldn't for a full restore, because anything that's pushed from WHS will have to have software running on the client. And it wouldn't really work well for a partial restore, because it might be very disruptive to what someone using that PC was doing.
    Friday, July 27, 2007 3:06 AM
  • Hello Ken,
    thanks for reply.
    your second paragraph is the issue that I am more concern about.
    What I meant was that in addition to drag and drop files to restore them, it should be another option such as browse or manually enter the directory where one wants to restore a file to.

ciao

Friday, July 27, 2007 10:59 AM
  • Well, WHS is intended to be easy to use for technically unsophisticated administrators (Mom or Dad). Making someone decide where they want to put a file by going through some sort of folder selection process before they can even get to the file would probably be something that those users would complain about as being too difficult. And you get the same effect by just opening an additional Explorer window and navigating to the destination for your drag and drop operation, don't you?
    Friday, July 27, 2007 11:52 AM
  • Overall WHS looks promissing.
    We'll have to waite and see the price tag and test the final product when it comes out.
    Thanks for reply Ken

ciao
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 11:42 AM