Cannot upgrade WHS from Power Pack 1 to Power Pack 2 RRS feed

• Question

• I understand PP2 has been out for some time. However, after several attempts of 'windows update' on my WHS over many days and weeks, and I do not see the server update to PP2.  Verifying the version on my console, it does show the console version at 6.0.1800.0. (FYI, my server was custom-built and was installed with WHS preloaded with PP1 on the cd.). As far as I can tell, I am updated to PP1 and the system should update to PP2, but it isn't.

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H
    Processor: Athlon 4850e dual core
    Memory: 2GB RAM DDR2667
    Pwr:  Corsair 750W
    Drives:  System: Maxtor PATA 120GB
    Drives: Storage: W-Digi SATA 400GB, 500GB (green), maxtor 250GB
    WHS PP1 installed (OEM builder license)
    Console version: 6.0.1800.0
    Backup/Restore: 6.0.1800.36
    Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24

Thanks for the help.
    -Jay
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:28 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your reply...

To answer your first question, yes, I can view websites from the server desktop.  Upon clicking 'update now' in the console I receive the message 'There are no updates available for Windows Home Server.' 

I had not recalled that WU was unsupported. Should I be forced to reinstall the server, I'll be sure not to use WU again. 

Thanks again...

First, did you try rebooting the server?  If so and it didn't help, the supported way to fix it would be a Server Reinstallation.  (The unsupported method would be to uninstall all WHS-specific updates from your server through the server desktop, preferably in reverse order of how they got installed, reboot your server, then try updating again.  And if you don't see any WHS-specific updates, it might be that the setup never finished running, in which case it thinks it's SBS 2003, not WHS.)  My suggestion would be to do a Server Reinstallation.
    • Marked as answer by Simple Apostle Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:43 PM
    Friday, October 30, 2009 12:43 AM
  • I did run a server reinstallation, and then ran 'Update Now' from the console. After 75+ updates and a reboot I confirmed PP2 was successfully installed in the console settings window.  Thanks again for the tip.
    • Marked as answer by Simple Apostle Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:47 PM
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:46 PM

All replies

• I understand PP2 has been out for some time. However, after several attempts of 'windows update' on my WHS over many days and weeks, and I do not see the server update to PP2.  Verifying the version on my console, it does show the console version at 6.0.1800.0. (FYI, my server was custom-built and was installed with WHS preloaded with PP1 on the cd.). As far as I can tell, I am updated to PP1 and the system should update to PP2, but it isn't.

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H
    Processor: Athlon 4850e dual core
    Memory: 2GB RAM DDR2667
    Pwr:  Corsair 750W
    Drives:  System: Maxtor PATA 120GB
    Drives: Storage: W-Digi SATA 400GB, 500GB (green), maxtor 250GB
    WHS PP1 installed (OEM builder license)
    Console version: 6.0.1800.0
    Backup/Restore: 6.0.1800.36
    Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24

Thanks for the help.
    -Jay
    First, using WU from the server desktop is unsupported (you should be checking for updates through the Console).  Having said that, are you able to view any websites from the server desktop?  If you click on the Update Now... button in the Console, do you get any message?  If so, exactly what does it say?
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 4:48 AM

To answer your first question, yes, I can view websites from the server desktop.  Upon clicking 'update now' in the console I receive the message 'There are no updates available for Windows Home Server.' 

I had not recalled that WU was unsupported. Should I be forced to reinstall the server, I'll be sure not to use WU again. 

Thanks again...

Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:31 AM

Thanks again...

First, did you try rebooting the server?  If so and it didn't help, the supported way to fix it would be a Server Reinstallation.  (The unsupported method would be to uninstall all WHS-specific updates from your server through the server desktop, preferably in reverse order of how they got installed, reboot your server, then try updating again.  And if you don't see any WHS-specific updates, it might be that the setup never finished running, in which case it thinks it's SBS 2003, not WHS.)  My suggestion would be to do a Server Reinstallation.
    • Marked as answer by Simple Apostle Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:43 PM
    Friday, October 30, 2009 12:43 AM
  • I did run a server reinstallation, and then ran 'Update Now' from the console. After 75+ updates and a reboot I confirmed PP2 was successfully installed in the console settings window.  Thanks again for the tip.
    • Marked as answer by Simple Apostle Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:47 PM
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:46 PM