none
Unable to install files durring Server 2003 portion of WHS install RRS feed

• Question

• Every times I try to install WHS I can't get past the Server 2003 portion of the install because it can't install several of the files and if I skip them I get a BSOD on the restart. I have now tried three dieffernt install disks using three different drives all with the same result. Two of the disks I have installed off of with out problems before. Oh I have also tried to install an two different HHDs and one of them is brand new. I was orriginally having some issues after an upgrade and was trying to do a reinstall that went horably wrong because of this problem. 
    I am at a complete loss at this point as to how to fix this problem. Any ideas would be helpfull.
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 4:09 AM

Answers

• Okay, good news and bad news. The good news is that I found a workaround. It turns out that trying to install the OS through USB results in copy errors but going directly to the IDE port on the MOBO does not have these errors. The MOBO is a Super Micro X7SLA-H. I called the company and the bad news is they had never heard of this problem so right now we don't know if it is a BIOS problem or if I have a bad board. 
    Thank you everyone for your input. I will try to remember to post what the ultimate solution to the problem is.

edit: It turned out that the MOBO, RAM, and HHD were all bad. All of them are replaced and everything is working great.
    • Marked as answer by Mouseskowitz Friday, September 4, 2009 10:07 PM
    Friday, September 4, 2009 10:07 PM

All replies

• Every times I try to install WHS I can't get past the Server 2003 portion of the install because it can't install several of the files and if I skip them I get a BSOD on the restart. I have now tried three dieffernt install disks using three different drives all with the same result. Two of the disks I have installed off of with out problems before. Oh I have also tried to install an two different HHDs and one of them is brand new. I was orriginally having some issues after an upgrade and was trying to do a reinstall that went horably wrong because of this problem. 
    I am at a complete loss at this point as to how to fix this problem. Any ideas would be helpfull.

Where did you get the install disks from?
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 5:54 AM
  • I have a OEM copy I get from Newegg.com, a 120 evlauation from Microsoft and when those wouldn't work this time I found one to download.
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 12:29 PM
  • I have a OEM copy I get from Newegg.com, a 120 evlauation from Microsoft and when those wouldn't work this time I found one to download.

You said you have "tried three dieffernt install disks using three different drives".  I assume by drives you mean DVD drives?  If not, you should try a different DVD drive.  If you did mean DVD drives, you might try replacing the data cable and/or plugging the DVD drive into a different port.
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 2:22 PM
  • I tried two different DVD drives on the same computer then I went and loaded the CD onto a USB drive using a different DVD drive in a different computer twice with different DVD copies. 
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 10:37 PM
  • If you cannot install files, this has according to my experience often one of the following causes:
    - faulty media/device in the chain DVD-Drive-Disk (including the cabling) or faulty disk controller
    - faulty RAM
    - thermal issues (CPU cooler or power supply full of dust, disks overheating)

What is the exact error message you get?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, August 31, 2009 11:37 AM
  • I run into the problem after the first reboot when you get the blue screen and Windows Server 2003 is installing its self. On random files I will get the message that "setup cannot copy file" and I am given the option to retry, skip or quit. Retrying has never worked, skiping gets me past that file but several other files will have the same problem with the result of the BSOD on the next reboot of the instalation process. 
    Monday, August 31, 2009 9:54 PM
  • Are these files really random or are they driver files for your mass storage controller?
    That second stage is using files, which have already been copied to a temporary folder on the disk - so the medium and the DVD ROM drive should not matter - so this means the files are getting lost or corrupted while they are written to the disk the first time.
    Does the message complain about not being able to read or to write the files?

Olaf
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:38 AM
  • They seem to be truely random. Useing the same media the first file to have a problem is almost never the same. Some of the files are .sys, .dll or some other things I can't recall at the moment. The message only says it is unable to copy the file and has no mention of read or write problems. I'm going to try to contact the MOBO manufacturer and see if they have any light to shed on the issue.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:55 PM
  • If the errors are different every time, I would check the RAM.  I had a desktop install do this to me one time.  Drove me absolutely nuts until I swapped out the RAM, then it ran perfectly.
    You could run a RAM test from a boot disc to verify the quality of the RAM.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 8:18 PM
  • Exactly my opinion, such random stuff often points to faulty RAM, as mentioned before.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 9:28 PM
  • If I did have faulty RAM would I have seen some ill effects prior to trying the reinstall that sent this whole thing down hill? The reason I did the reinstall is that I completely screwed the automatic backup system up and I figured then best way to fix it was reinstall. So, other than oporator error stuff the system was running fine. 
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 9:44 PM
  • Okay, good news and bad news. The good news is that I found a workaround. It turns out that trying to install the OS through USB results in copy errors but going directly to the IDE port on the MOBO does not have these errors. The MOBO is a Super Micro X7SLA-H. I called the company and the bad news is they had never heard of this problem so right now we don't know if it is a BIOS problem or if I have a bad board. 
    Thank you everyone for your input. I will try to remember to post what the ultimate solution to the problem is.

edit: It turned out that the MOBO, RAM, and HHD were all bad. All of them are replaced and everything is working great.
    • Marked as answer by Mouseskowitz Friday, September 4, 2009 10:07 PM
    Friday, September 4, 2009 10:07 PM