No Screen Saver tab in Display Options RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just got a new computer and i can't set up my screen saver!

How can i get my Screen Saver tab back in the Display Options box?

I am running Windows XP with service pack 3.

Thank you

Monday, June 2, 2008 7:09 PM

Answers

•  

Hi, have you installed SteadyState on the computer? Do you mean the "Screen Saver" tab is missed from Display Properties? If you have not installed SteadyState, I suggest you post the issue in the following newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Also, for your information, this issue can be related to virus or registry settings, you can check the following registry entry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

If there is a DWoRD Value such "NoDispScrSavPage" with a data value of 1 this will disable the screen saver tab. Change the value to 0 or delete it to

see the tab again.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 7:46 AM

All replies

•  

Hi, have you installed SteadyState on the computer? Do you mean the "Screen Saver" tab is missed from Display Properties? If you have not installed SteadyState, I suggest you post the issue in the following newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Also, for your information, this issue can be related to virus or registry settings, you can check the following registry entry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

If there is a DWoRD Value such "NoDispScrSavPage" with a data value of 1 this will disable the screen saver tab. Change the value to 0 or delete it to

see the tab again.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 7:46 AM
  •  

This really works!  Thanks!
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:59 AM
  • Thank you Sean.

I had lost my screensaver tab after a Malware Protector 2008 attack. I could restore the screensaver by making the changes you suggested.

I am not sure though if I will be able to completely remove the Malware out of my laptop.

Thanks

Dev

Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:26 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem after a virus-where to I go to change this value?

Monday, August 18, 2008 1:40 PM
  • start ~ run ~ type "regedit"

Thursday, August 21, 2008 3:34 AM
  • Hi, I am desperate to find out what has happened to my screensaver option in my display/control panel.  I recently installed Norton 360 and they have given me many procedures to go through to restore it, but none of them have worked.  I have contacted Microsoft and they have not helped either.  Somehow, I stumbled on this forum and found your article, but I do not know how to check the registry entry.  Could you give me a description of how to find this entry?  Thank you so much. 

Christine

Monday, September 1, 2008 12:40 AM
  • This really helped me, too!  Thank you, Sean!  Thank you also to lilcurl who explained how to get to the registry screen to edit it.  Death to malware!
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:11 PM
  • thanks sean and lilcurl.  Very helpful (and I doubt I'd find all that without lilcurl's more direct pointer).
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:35 PM
  • Thanks for the help, great fix.

Ken

Thursday, September 11, 2008 9:52 PM
  • Worked like a charm!!  Can't thank you enough.

Friday, November 21, 2008 4:37 PM