Re-install WHS: problems to expect? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I 'll change the hardware of my server and from what I have read here in the forum I am expecting some problems, namely with the domain or with the connections to the clients.

As I'll make a clean install, please advise me ons the following:

- Data: I manually copied everything to a wired client (by the way, I tried to connect the server bachup disk to a PC, but it gave me a permission error !?)

- Domain: I have a live ID domain and I do want to keep it. Is it possible to release it from the old server and use it on the new one?

- server configuration: I want to keep the same server name, ip, and so on. Is it ok? ( I haven't activated my copy yet)

- Clients PC: a simple uninstall of the WHS connector will suffice?

PLease, am I missing something else?

Thanks in advance

L

LL
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:40 PM

All replies

• - Data: I manually copied everything to a wired client (by the way, I tried to connect the server bachup disk to a PC, but it gave me a permission error !?)

- Domain: I have a live ID domain and I do want to keep it. Is it possible to release it from the old server and use it on the new one?

- server configuration: I want to keep the same server name, ip, and so on. Is it ok? ( I haven't activated my copy yet)

- Clients PC: a simple uninstall of the WHS connector will suffice?

* After installing the new server you should be able to connect the server backup disk and restore data.

* You can keep you existing domain. When configuring your existing domain using the Live ID you used to register it WHS will reuse the existing one.

* Same server name and IP is OK.
    However, you will non be allowed to activate: When activating WHS (OEM license) it was locked to the old hardware.
    You only chance is to activate by phone: Explain why you are reinstalling on new hardware.

* Uninstall the WHS client connector and restart the PC. Then reinstall.

Good luck!
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Friday, September 23, 2011 2:53 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:27 PM
  • Hello,

Just moved the server to the new hardware. all went without any fuss, except... the domain name!!

Just don't get it: I did release the domain from the older server, and now, when I try to use it I only get: "the domain is not registed under your logged in user name. please type the user name and password that was used to register the domain"

Of couse, I confirmed and double check the windows live ID user/password, but with no sucess, showing up the same information...

what should I do?

thanks in advance

Luis

LL
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:48 PM
  • I think the trick was not to release the domain name so that it was still registered to your Windows live account - in that way, you could have selected “I would like to use a domain name I already own” NOT “I want to set up a new domain name”. I am not sure how long it takes for Microsoft to make available the name you have just released - just keep trying and hopefully no one else snaps it up.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:11 PM
  • Phil.

There is no need to "release" the domain first!
    Just register the existing xxx.homeserver.com domain on the new machine. If it does not exist it is created, if it exists it is reused (providing the associated live-ID is used of coarse)

That's all...

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:18 PM
  • There is no need to "release" the domain first!

Just register the existing xxx.homeserver.com domain on the new machine.

Theo

That's what I said!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:53 PM
  • ok

so it wasn't necessary to release the domain first... now its' done...

Why can't I used the domain, using the live-ID / password? That's the million dollar question!

LL
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:28 PM
  • I am not sure how long it takes for Microsoft to make available the name you have just released - just keep trying and hopefully no one else snaps it up.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:30 PM