Project Web Part "Details" - The webpart cannot be displayed in this context RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to replicate the "Project Details" PDP page and when adding the "Details" Project Web Part, it shows "The webpart cannot be displayed in this context".

The original "Project Details" PDP does not show this error. Any ideas?

Thursday, June 23, 2016 5:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This is because the "details" webpart is actually the one showing the project schedule and it always shows this message while creating the PDP since it is not linked to a specific project.

The webpart you are looking for is the "basic information", used for displaying custom fields.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by PSPE16 Tuesday, June 28, 2016 1:27 AM
    Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is because the "details" webpart is actually the one showing the project schedule and it always shows this message while creating the PDP since it is not linked to a specific project.

The webpart you are looking for is the "basic information", used for displaying custom fields.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by PSPE16 Tuesday, June 28, 2016 1:27 AM
    Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:35 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for the reply. I did realize that "context" is referring to the details in the "context" of the project. When editing the "Details" web app, I noticed that it is possible to select the project and depending on the project, the web app is displaying different details.

That raises the question whether that field is dynamic or fixed, e.g. if I select a project in that field, will it always display details of that project even if I use the PDP for another project?

The "Details" web app in the original "Project Details" page always displays the Project Departments fields. When editing the "Details" web app in the original "Project Details" page, there is no ability to select a project. Where is the difference coming from?

Friday, June 24, 2016 1:59 AM
  • Hi,

Which version of Project Server are you using? Maybe this is why we are confusing since I remember that those web part changed name with Project Server 2013+. The details webpart in PS2010 was renamed basic information in PS2013.

Then the principle is that when you create a PDP with webparts, you don't specifiy any projects for the webpart, so when you design it from the server settings, it is not returning any values. But then you associate the PDP to an EPT (enterprise project type), so when you open the project of the given EPT, you can navigate to the new PDP and the webpart will automatically retrieve the project UID and display the information of this given project.

Hope this helps,

Friday, June 24, 2016 7:46 AM
  • We are using Project Online. I think it is still 2013 (??). It has two different project web parts: Basic Info and Details.
    Friday, June 24, 2016 8:06 AM
  • With Project Online, there is no version number anymore, you are always up to the last version.

That being said, just checked on my Project Online tenant, the detail webpart is the schedule/timeline webpart and the basic info webpart is the one you can use to display enterprise custom fields. Note that you can change the webpart title to rename it as per your need.

Hope this helps,

Friday, June 24, 2016 8:29 AM

• Hope this helps,

Friday, June 24, 2016 8:34 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback. I assumed to be on the latest version as well, but this is what my site collections show; maybe it show the version used to create the site collection.

What I do not understand why the Details web part behaves differently in the original "Project Details" page and a custom PDP. It is interesting to see that there is a difference when editing the "Details" web part in both pages.

The context is referring to the context of the project specified in the "Details" project web part. It makes me wonder what happens if the the PDP using the "Details" project web part is used to create a new project.

Monday, June 27, 2016 12:09 AM