Upgrading WHS Console to .NET 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I need to update the WHS console to .NET 3.0 so that i may use certain .NET 3.0 controls for a WHS Add-In. I have already tried downloading the .NET 3.0 executable and installing it on WHS, but this did not seem to update the WHS console. I am using an evaluation copy of WHS so maybe this has somethign to do with it?

Thanks,

Brennan

Thursday, August 7, 2008 9:34 PM

Answers

• I think some terms are getting confused here so lets do a little background.

The Windows Home Server Admin console targets the 2.0 .NET Framework which includes the 2.0 Base Class Library (BCL) and the 2.0 Common Language Runtime (CLR).

The 3.0 and 3.5 .NET Frameworks also use the 2.0 BCL and CLR, only they provide a whole set of extra libraries and features on top of the base 2.0 bits... unlike the 1.1 and 2.0 frameworks which included a whole new set of versioned bits (ie 1.0 vs 1.1 vs 2.0 BCL & CLR).

That being said... virtually any application with the ability to load other .NET libraries that targets the 2.0 Framework can load files that target the 3.0 or 3.5 so long as the applicable framework is installed.

If an add-in of yours that you've built targeting the 3.0 framework is not being loaded by the console I would suggest taking a step backwards and looking at the logs which can be found in the %qlogs% directory on the server and/or simplifying your add-in a bit to make sure you can have a standard Windows Forms add-in load and then apply WPF elements.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 9:00 PM

All replies

• Evaluation copy shouldn't matter. The console is probably built on .NET 2.0 and doesn't won't expose the .NET 3.0 features anyway unless the move everything over to 3.0.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 10:41 PM
  • Make sure the target framework for your project is 3.0.  You can set that in the project properties.  If you created your project before installing 3.0 then its probably still set to 2.0.

Dan
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 10:59 PM
  • I think some terms are getting confused here so lets do a little background.

The Windows Home Server Admin console targets the 2.0 .NET Framework which includes the 2.0 Base Class Library (BCL) and the 2.0 Common Language Runtime (CLR).

The 3.0 and 3.5 .NET Frameworks also use the 2.0 BCL and CLR, only they provide a whole set of extra libraries and features on top of the base 2.0 bits... unlike the 1.1 and 2.0 frameworks which included a whole new set of versioned bits (ie 1.0 vs 1.1 vs 2.0 BCL & CLR).

That being said... virtually any application with the ability to load other .NET libraries that targets the 2.0 Framework can load files that target the 3.0 or 3.5 so long as the applicable framework is installed.

If an add-in of yours that you've built targeting the 3.0 framework is not being loaded by the console I would suggest taking a step backwards and looking at the logs which can be found in the %qlogs% directory on the server and/or simplifying your add-in a bit to make sure you can have a standard Windows Forms add-in load and then apply WPF elements.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 9:00 PM