Trial Version of Office 2007 is failing validation so it won't let me validate PAID version of Office 2003?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I am quite confused here because this is not making logical sense at all.  I have a new PC that I got about 2 weeks ago.  It came with a copy of Office 2007 on it (trial stu/teach) and I uninstalled it right away before ever installing Office 2003 so that I would not have any conflicts.  I have learned this from an issue with another one of my computers a couple months ago.

After uninstall I then installed Office 2003 SmBiz with the disk and a working product key without issue.  I went to validate a few days later in order to get the templates and add-ons needed to accomplish my work and I was shocked to see that I failed validation! Furious thinking somebody had really been wronged here, I began to check things out to see what I could fix and was shocked to see Office 2003 (my paid version that I want to use) was just fine and passed.  The reason I failed was somehow there are still enough files on my pc somewhere that the trial Office 07 is showing up as "failing" so therefore it will not pass me no matter what.

In the CP Add/Remove page it list 07 as being there but it's not.  When you click it nothing happens.  So I am now in this catch 22 situation but I am really running out of time and have to get Office 03 fully operable which for me means add-ons are needed. I seriously do not want to have to wipe out the hard drive and reinstall via system recovery for this!!  Does anyone have any info to help me?

Thank you,

Bobbi                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Friday, March 30, 2007 8:02 AM

Answers

• Hi BobbiJ,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues.  Would it be possible to have you run our diagnostic tool?  The output it provides will allow me to better help you determine what the next steps you can take are.

1)      Logon to the PC that is experiencing the notifications as a user with ADMIN rights.

2)      Download the tool:   http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 click RUN.

3)      When the tool loads, click CONTINUE.

4)      Is the RESOLVE button available?  If so, please click RESOLVE to allow the diagnostic tool to repair the issue.

5)      From the Windows tab, click the COPY button.

6)      Reply back to this post and PASTE the results.

Thanks,

Michelle

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 12:22 AM
  • BobbiJ,

Please follow everything Michelle has recommended. In turn post the results back on this thread for us to analyze. I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide available options we have for assisting customers to address issues they are currently experiencing.This will allow our team to see exactly what may be causing your problems.

Also I have a recommendation.  Attached below is a Knowledge Base (KB) article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301. This will allow you to download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and explain detailed information. Maybe there are still dll files lingering around from the trial version of MS Office which came with your new system.  Use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and uninstall all Microsoft Office programs on your computer, then reinstall Microsoft Office using the genuine MS Office installation CD and product key. Next, review the KB article @ http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PkuInstructions.aspx?displayLang=enUtility.  This link provides information for Windows Product Key Update Tool Instructions.
    If you are still having issues, can you do the following?

1) Logon to the PC that is experiencing the notifications as a user with “ADMINISTRATOR” privileges.
    2) Download the tool: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 click RUN.
    3) When the tool loads, click “CONTINUE”.
    4) Is the “RESOLVE” button available? If so, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool repair the issue.
    5) From the Windows tab, click the COPY button.
    6) Please reply back to this post and PASTE the entire results into reply of this post. 
    We can take a look at it and offer you some suggestions as to how to resolve this issue.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager,
    Stephen MS

Thursday, April 5, 2007 11:21 PM

All replies

• I just wanted to add that I have tried to run the program as an admin with no success.  The error code I am getting is [0x80180104] which says no valid key was detected for 2007.  There shouldn't be because it's not installed on my system anymore!! Or at least I don't want it to be.
    Friday, March 30, 2007 4:50 PM
  • Hi BobbiJ,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues.  Would it be possible to have you run our diagnostic tool?  The output it provides will allow me to better help you determine what the next steps you can take are.

1)      Logon to the PC that is experiencing the notifications as a user with ADMIN rights.

2)      Download the tool:   http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 click RUN.

3)      When the tool loads, click CONTINUE.

4)      Is the RESOLVE button available?  If so, please click RESOLVE to allow the diagnostic tool to repair the issue.

5)      From the Windows tab, click the COPY button.

6)      Reply back to this post and PASTE the results.

Thanks,

Michelle

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 12:22 AM
  • BobbiJ,

Please follow everything Michelle has recommended. In turn post the results back on this thread for us to analyze. I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide available options we have for assisting customers to address issues they are currently experiencing.This will allow our team to see exactly what may be causing your problems.

Also I have a recommendation.  Attached below is a Knowledge Base (KB) article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301. This will allow you to download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and explain detailed information. Maybe there are still dll files lingering around from the trial version of MS Office which came with your new system.  Use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and uninstall all Microsoft Office programs on your computer, then reinstall Microsoft Office using the genuine MS Office installation CD and product key. Next, review the KB article @ http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PkuInstructions.aspx?displayLang=enUtility.  This link provides information for Windows Product Key Update Tool Instructions.
    If you are still having issues, can you do the following?

1) Logon to the PC that is experiencing the notifications as a user with “ADMINISTRATOR” privileges.
    2) Download the tool: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 click RUN.
    3) When the tool loads, click “CONTINUE”.
    4) Is the “RESOLVE” button available? If so, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool repair the issue.
    5) From the Windows tab, click the COPY button.
    6) Please reply back to this post and PASTE the entire results into reply of this post. 
    We can take a look at it and offer you some suggestions as to how to resolve this issue.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager,
    Stephen MS

Thursday, April 5, 2007 11:21 PM
  • ok here is the results of the diagnostic.  the resolve button was not available as an option to use.  i am going to proceed with the instructions posted after yours here next. i have no choice but to do this today because whatever came through in last nights updates has caused the windows installer to keep trying to run to install files that aren't there.

i will report my results as soon as i complete the steps.

Bobbi

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: 0x1
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-3RBY2-BGQ2R-DR9M6
    Windows Product Key Hash: EYIpz/47G03lWRAOmk3kg+lR7Rc=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7332157-00141
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.003
    ID: 7e214107-a531-42c7-92ae-6ecc6ddebecb
    Is Admin: No
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 104 Unknown PID
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-150-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_025D1FF3-138-80041010_025D1FF3-324-80040154_025D1FF3-269-80040154_025D1FF3-273-80070002_B4D0AA8B-817-80070057

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>7e214107-a531-42c7-92ae-6ecc6ddebecb</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.003</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-DR9M6</PKey><PID>89578-OEM-7332157-00141</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3587395661-3938306659-3448623518</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>GATEWA</Manufacturer><Model>GM5420</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>MQ96510J.15A.0340.2007.0115.1645</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070115000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>46303507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>GATEWA</OEMID><OEMTableID>SYSTEM  </OEMTableID></OEM></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>104</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>5277E07504AC5DE</Val><Hash>w4iTHrIs0E+feUC4NPRXgE6tA5o=</Hash><Pid>70145-751-5031946-57150</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{91120000-002F-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>104</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><PidType>0</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Thursday, April 12, 2007 2:16 PM
  • i feel i should point out that the read me file for KB290301 states this utility is not to be used for Office 07 but since there are no other options I am going to use it anyways. Just for info here is a snip of the read me file:

README FOR WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEAN UP UTILITY version 3
    SEPTEMBER, 2006

WHAT IS THE WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEAN UP UTILITY?
    The Windows Installer Clean Up Utility is a tool that can be used to remove Windows Installer configuration management information if a problem occurs.

*** NOTE: The Windows Installer Clean Up Utility should not be used to remove the 2007 Microsoft Office System installation information. ***

The Windows Installer configuration management information can become damaged if any of the following issues occur:

so i really hope this not going to create an even bigger problem. i have got to get this fixed my entire office suite is not offline to due to the update that came in last night!

wish me luck!  

BobbiJ

Thursday, April 12, 2007 2:55 PM
  • Bobbi,

Lets hold off on this for now. I have elevated this up for review. Thank you very much.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager,
    Stephen MS

Thursday, April 12, 2007 7:58 PM
  • Bobbi,

I apologize for not getting back sooner. Please look @ the following Knowledge Base (KB) article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218/en-us . Here you will find detailed instructions for removing beta release versions of Office Suite 2007 or program.  

Important: This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

256986 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/) Description of the Microsoft Windows registry

Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you and hope your weekend is great.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager

Friday, April 27, 2007 12:16 AM