One Care Restore after new MotherBoard. RRS feed

• Question

• Before a motherboard upgrade I did a backup.  After the upgrade I reinstalled xp and did all the updates etc.  Then I downloaded Onecare and reassociated it with the new computer.  I did a restore but many of my files didn't restore.   I researched but ended up chatting with Microsoft support.  The agent had me go into the the external harddrive via explorer and take ownership of the backup folder. 

We could see the catalog file dated exactly the time I did my backup.  I can see several zip folders but haven't been able to locate any of the files.  I can no longer see hte backup set in onecare.  The external HD is 320 GB and in its properties is shows that 275 GB are being used.  The folder properties of my backup only show 40 GB being used.  

It seems that the data is there but I haven't the foggiest how to get the data back.  I really put alot of faith in onecare backup.  Losing our photos would be a major upset.  

Does anyone have expertise in this area?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 10:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• I would try a custom restore. Restore the backup to a folder on your computer, then browse the folder to see if you can find your files. If the files are restored to that folder just copy and paste them to the locations you want them in. If there are missing files from the custom restore folder I would continue to work with support for help with recovering your files. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:18 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply.  I can no longer see the backup from within onecare.  I can only see it in windows explorer.

I am still waiting for a reply from onecare support.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:01 AM
  • You may want to try the following:
    Create a new backup plan, configuring backup to point to the location of the existing backup, and selecting a file type that will result in a small and short backup, Financial, for example. Run the backup and then run the custom restore. You should then see the older backup from "other computer."
    If you performed the restore previously, though, the files would have been restored. It would *not* selectively have skipped restoring files, though it may have placed them in an alternate location on the drive for the restore. You will then need to manually copy the files to their proper location. This happens if the User Profiles are different or if the destination already contains files of the same name that are newer than the ones you are attempting to restore.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:57 PM
  • Thank you for your advice.  I have learned alot since the last post.  I wanted to share just in case someone has the same issue. 

It turns I beleive that there were errors or corruption on the external drive.  I ran checked and did error checking and chose to autimatically repair.  After which the folder containing the recent backup actually displays the correct GB value.  Many more ZIP files are showing up and the numbers are sequential and complete.  This was a relief. 

Because I still can't see the backup in Oncare ,even after a small backup like reccomended above, I had to use 7Zip to expand the folders.  They show up and I can see most of the recent photos however there are some that are still split up and use (##0 of example.jpg, ##1 of Example.jpg).  I was able to join some with Hjsplit that I read about on this forum.  One problem is that I have to add .001 .002 .003 to the files before they can be joined by Hjsplit.  I am thinking of using REN in cmd to rename them but I haven't wrapped my mind around it yet.  Also Hjsplit doesn't have a command line tool for XP so there would still be lots of manual labour.  I have no idea where to look for my emails to restore them.  

This is the second time that I have had problems with the Back up and I am convinced that the corruption might actually have been caused by onecare.  When your drive letter changes on the external drive or the system drive I think OneCare falls apart.  The last time it happend when my router storage link took the same Letter as the external drive used for the backup.  This time the media card slots built into my printer affected the drive letter assignments.  

That was the beginning and then it snowballed.  I should have run the error check before I contacted support.  I shouldn't have taken ownership of the backupfiles as directed by Mr. Prakash at onecare support.   Now the I am left with a big messy job.  If I was working for Windows Live I would have a web based tool that could sort it out for people in this situation.  Sure it would take some development but hey backups are important and onecare is making enough money to support their product.

If anyone knows a better way than Hjsplit please let me know. Also if you know where the windows live mail messages might be, please let me know.

Thanks for all of your help.

Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:08 PM
  • I'm sorry about the issues you've encountered. The drive corruption would not have been caused by OneCare, that would be a sign of a failing drive or it was powered off or disconnected during a write operation.
    Taking ownership would not be an issue, but if there is a missing catalog or problem with the file structure in the backup location, it will not appear in the OneCare restore options.

Your Windows Live Mail is in a hidden folder. The good news is that they will be individual files. The bad news is that you will need to import them back into Windows Live Mail.
    In Vista (I'm on a Vista machine right now) the path is:
    C:\Users\[userID]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

In XP it should be c:\Documents and Settings\[userID]\Local Settings\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

[userID] is your Windows logon name/ID

In the \Windows Live Mail folder you will see folders such as Inbox, Outbox, Sent, etc and the individual items inside each are messages. If you are using a Hotmail or IMAP account, there will be a folder for that acount with folders within.

Note that this branch is hidden so you need to have the Explorer options configured to show Hidden Files and folders.

I'm not aware of a better solution for rejoining files that HJSplit and yes, the rename is required to make it work.

-steve

Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Thank you for the reply.  I am glad that the mail is there.  I will start recovering it soon.  Your reply is particularly interesting because of what has happened in my case. 

"The drive corruption would not have been caused by OneCare, that would be a sign of a failing drive or it was powered off or disconnected during a write operation."

The drive was never powered off and is currently in perfect health if you trust Xp error checker. We will see how it does over the next weeks and months.

"Taking ownership would not be an issue, but if there is a missing catalog or problem with the file structure in the backup location, it will not appear in the OneCare restore options."

While chatting with the agent. We could see the back up.  After He had me take ownership the backup was no longer visible from within Onecare.  Perhaps the Ownership procedure affected the catalog or file structure? 

What is puzzling is why can't I see the back up in Onecare right now?  How can I spot the missing catalog or file structure problems you mention?

Thanks again for your help!!

Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:29 PM
  • You said, in your previous post, that you ran an error check on the drive and that corrected issues with files not appearing and the reported used space. That would indicate an error with the drive's file system. If you hadn't encountered a power issue with the drive, then it's hard to pinpoint why you encountered the errors to begin with. It *could* have been OneCare, but I don't think so, since the errors were with the file system itself. If this were an issue with OneCare, I'd expect many more reports of problems. OneCare backup creates the zip files on the PC and then copies them to the destination. It is basically a simple file copy operation. The catalog is the way that OneCare keeps track of what backups are on the destination.
    I don't know that you can determine what is wrong with the catalog or with the file structure on the drive since you've already done the error check and inconcistencies found by that Windows utility were corrected. If a file was corrupt to the point that it was unreadable, it may have been deleted, hence the reason you can't see it when you run the Restore process, but that's speculation on my part.

I know you've already had a sketchy support experience, but it may be worth reaching out to them again for help. They may have other tricks to get the backup recognized and restored or they can assist with the manual extraction of your backed up data.

In my experience the ownership steps should not have caused the backup to "disappear" - however, since this involves updating  the properties for every file in the folder you changed permissions on, that may well have been the point where the corruption occurred. If something went wrong in that step, the catalog or critical files needed to make up the backup set may have been corrupted or deleted.

-steve

Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:49 PM
  • Steve,

I agree with you completely.  The errors could have been caused by a number of things which are hard to pinpoint.  In both cases it was after a drive assignment change.  I suspect that some software tried to write to the wrong disk and things quickly went awry. 

The last time I spoke with support I requested a supervisor and spoke with someone who was more fluent in English that the previous agent.  He seemed to understand the situation very well and told me that I am on my own.

The good new is that I can search and view email that I recovered but I cant browse and view all emails yet.  I suspect that is because there were many split files in the email directory that I haven't joined yet. 

I do believe that I can speed up the joining process significantly with batch files.  I will use one batch to rename all of the files with .001 .002 .003 etc etc.  I will try to use another batch to join the files(pending advice from the makers of Hjsplit).  Lastly a batch file to delete the split files.  Once it is complete I will share the batch files with this forum although I bet there are some more capable individuals on the forum who could write a small app to do the same as I have described.

If I go directory by directory as I need files it shouldn't be too bad. 

Thanks again for all of your help!!!

• Proposed as answer by Bog_Rat Saturday, May 23, 2009 3:01 PM
    Friday, March 13, 2009 4:53 AM
  • After a windows re-install OneCare Restore couldn't see the files on the network/external drive from my old backup from the previous pc's installation -  I could see them in Explorer but no matter what I tried OneCare could not see them and thus allow me to restore my precious files and photos - the following solution worked for me....

1. browse to the desired backup folder (in the Windows OneCare Backup folder on your external/network drive) - write down the folder name exactly (or right click & copy it)
    2. right-click mycomputer & select properties - rename your new pc to the old folder name then reboot at the prompt
    3. uninstall and reinstall OneCare
    4. Onecare will now recognise your old backup and allow you to restore it

I selected the "restore from an earlier backup or another pc" option - Also I selected "restore by file type" because the "full restore" option failed.  So I retored photos first then ran restore again for each of the other file types - Tedious but worthwhile to get those files back from OneCare Limboland.

It seems that OneCare protects its backups from being restored by other pc's in the onecare circle once they've been either removed from the OneCare circle or have changed their computer names.

Probably too late to help the original poster - but may help someone else who has the same problem....

Saturday, May 23, 2009 3:18 PM
  • Thanks for relating your experience. I think that the issue comes into play when the backup was performed using Centralized backup and the Hub is the PC that is being replaced. Your solution seems to be a good workaround for this issue.
    -steve
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:37 AM
  • Hello again,

It has been 6 months since the crash and I have been waiting to restore all of the files.  I finally had a breakthrough that I want to share.  I understand now that my original problem was with the file system on the drive.  The support staff had me change file permissions and ownership instead of checking and repairing the files.  If I would have repaired the files then the restore would have been okay.  But I changed the permissions So after the repair Onecare couldn't see the backup.  I looked at the permissions on the main folder of a previous backup and compared it to the one that onecare could not see.  I went in and changed the permissions to be the same as the one that was visible to Onecare.  I had to give system access etc etc.  Then I checked the box to make all child objects inherit the same permissions.  It was that simple.  It is now visible in Onecare.  Great news news but It appears I have to jump through a few more hoops.   My new system drive is not C:  The restore is not dynamic so the only option is to restore them to a different location on the drive.  I have finished and the directory structure is sort of in place like RESTORE\DATE\PCNAME\USERNAME\ then lots of folders and files.  Because these folders already exist on my new install I then had to use robocopy to copy the restored files to their proper place on the new system drive without disturbing newer files.  You could also use Xcopy or richCopy but I found robocopy with the /xo option to be most useful.  You can download Robocopy from Microsoft. 

Now if I wanted to reinstall and make my system drive C I could then restore back to where I was 6 months ago but then I would have to restore the past 6 months of files but my back up would be from drive E: so I would be in the same predicament.  Its a vicious circle.  I hope with onecare being phased out the new backup with windows 7 will be more robust.  If anyone knows a way to get onecare to restore a backup of drive c onto drive E: please post it here.  I have learned alot from this and I have most of my files so it ended well.  Feel free to post if you have the same issue and need guidance.

• Edited by LebowskiBig Saturday, November 14, 2009 2:45 PM correction of wording
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 2:38 PM
  • Glad to read that you were able to restore your files. Yes, OneCare will only restore to the same drive and if that drive doesn't exist or if the files being restored already exist, they will be restored to the location you noted so that you can manually move data as desired.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 5:57 PM