OEM Windows XP Professional -- Multiple Machine Re-Activation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'll start with a scenario to help clarify my question.

Company ABC sells instruments that utilize PCs with Windows XP Professional.  Currently company ABC purchases individual packs of Windows XP SP2 "OEM Software" for each PC.  Each PC gets a COA sticker of which is placed on the PC chassis.  Each PC is installed from a "Windows XP Professional OEM Software" Install Pack. (insert expletive of your choice)

The PCs are running a RAID 1 (mirror) configuration and thus allows them to clone hard drives without special software.  So, this brings me to the real question...is it legal for company ABC to distribute the cloned hard drives to the new PCs (perform a degraded rebuild of the RAID array) and then change the product key and re-activate the copy of Windows XP on each new PC?  Is there a better way to do this?  Would VLK be better for them?  Does the KeyUpdateTool work for this? 

They would rather just put COA stickers on the machine and ship cloned hard drives to their customers.  Bear in mind each instrument has to be setup by ABC and thus shipped to the customer in an activated state -- due to the extra software that is shipped with the instrument.  Each PC gets a custom software package after Windows XP is installed.

Best regards,
    PAC.07

Friday, December 28, 2007 9:10 PM

Answers