OEM RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have recently bought a second hand IBM server with a Windows XP Professional license sticker on but no OS installed. Now I can find people who sell Windows XP Professional sealed OEM on our 'local eBay'.

I know that OEM copies state "To be distributed only with a new computer", but since the computer I own originally came with (most probably) an OEM license, I was wondering if, in this case, getting a new Windows XP OEM package for this computer is legit. Again - since the computer's original OEM license was lost / put out of use (the sticker from my computer).

In other words, if a computer was originally delivered with Microsoft Windows XP Professional OEM, but meanwhile the disc and license were lost, is it eligible for another OEM?

Please advise.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 4:28 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I have recently bought a second hand IBM server with a Windows XP Professional license sticker on but no OS installed. Now I can find people who sell Windows XP Professional sealed OEM on our 'local eBay'.

I know that OEM copies state "To be distributed only with a new computer", but since the computer I own originally came with (most probably) an OEM license, I was wondering if, in this case, getting a new Windows XP OEM package for this computer is legit. Again - since the computer's original OEM license was lost / put out of use (the sticker from my computer).

In other words, if a computer was originally delivered with Microsoft Windows XP Professional OEM, but meanwhile the disc and license were lost, is it eligible for another OEM?

Please advise.

Yes - you can install as many licensed versions of Windows as you like on any computer. Note however that most versions of Windows sold on eBay-type sites are counterfeit, so you take your life, license, and cash in your hands when you buy one!
    You'd be better off borrowing an MS-holograammed disk from a friend, and copying that to do the install, if your machine's OEM Key is still readable from the sticker.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, December 1, 2010 9:55 PM
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 12:19 AM
  • Hello danhm,

In addition to what Noel posted, also consider looking up the product's support page at the IBM support website.  There might be a link to follow to order a replacement recovery disc, which, if available should sell for less than any suspect auction site's copy of XP.

Monday, November 29, 2010 4:31 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please advise.

Yes - you can install as many licensed versions of Windows as you like on any computer. Note however that most versions of Windows sold on eBay-type sites are counterfeit, so you take your life, license, and cash in your hands when you buy one!
    You'd be better off borrowing an MS-holograammed disk from a friend, and copying that to do the install, if your machine's OEM Key is still readable from the sticker.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 12:19 AM
  • Hello danhm,

In addition to what Noel posted, also consider looking up the product's support page at the IBM support website.  There might be a link to follow to order a replacement recovery disc, which, if available should sell for less than any suspect auction site's copy of XP.

Monday, November 29, 2010 4:31 PM