none
Can't post to aliased IE forum? RRS feed

Answers

• Yup, this is an old problem that causes many headaches.  It is "branding", one link takes you to the technet.microsoft.com, the "Technet" brand, the other to answers.microsoft.com, the "Answers" brand (I guess).  Unfortunately, every forum for every brand is visible from another brand.  But you can only post when you've got the right brand selected.  Answers in this case.

People get really seriously lost when they then click the "My Forums" or "My Forums threads" link.  The proper forums and threads are shown but with the wrong brand, they can't respond to any threads anymore.

Looks like you found a new trap, one that takes you to the wrong brand by design.  Not sure how you got there, it's not on the Technet home page.  What was the URL?

Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:16 PM

All replies

• Yup, this is an old problem that causes many headaches.  It is "branding", one link takes you to the technet.microsoft.com, the "Technet" brand, the other to answers.microsoft.com, the "Answers" brand (I guess).  Unfortunately, every forum for every brand is visible from another brand.  But you can only post when you've got the right brand selected.  Answers in this case.

People get really seriously lost when they then click the "My Forums" or "My Forums threads" link.  The proper forums and threads are shown but with the wrong brand, they can't respond to any threads anymore.

Looks like you found a new trap, one that takes you to the wrong brand by design.  Not sure how you got there, it's not on the Technet home page.  What was the URL?

Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:16 PM
  • Well, that's fit the "hopelessly lost" case.  No, it doesn't work.
    Hans Passant.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:32 AM