Live OneCare Processor useage RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently noted that when  MsMpEng.exe is running, which is an element of Live OneCare antivirus, all four cores of my quad core processor peak out at 100% useage.  Thats insane. It even causes my computer to freeze as well as run very very slow.  Why is this antivirus component using soooo much of my processor?  Is there a remedy?  Should I just remove Live OneCare from my computer?  
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 1:28 AM

Answers

•   There are many, many threads in the forum for this issue.
    The problem is typically caused by a conflict with other active security software on the PC fighting with the malware protection engine used by OneCare (and Defender) for CPU time, causing a deadlock. There have been cases when it is not caused by a conflict with security software, but that was some time back and conflicts with chipset drivers, etc., should have been resolved by the antimalware team.
    If you are not running any other real time security software, and cannot identify the possible conflict, please contact OneCare support to have the issue investigated.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 12:39 PM