Will I qualify for windows validation cd RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

I have two computers which were both bought brand new and both had legitimate copies of Windows XP Home Edition installed on them. One of them had an XP CD with it while the other had had a Volume License Key version installed on it. They both had legitimate Product Keys.

Stupidly last September I installed a counterfeit version of a Service pack 2 ( I didn't have broadband at the time)

Microsoft have since realised through the updates that the current version of XP on both machines is counterfeit.

If I apply for the validation cd and send the old copy of XP and the copy of SP2 plus the receipts will I qualify for the validation. On the form where you submit your details when applying for validation it says copied CDs are not acceptable, but if I send the copy and the genuine will that make any difference?

Any help with this would much appreciated

Cheers

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 12:41 PM

Answers

•  Nickolly wrote:

Hi

I have two computers which were both bought brand new and both had legitimate copies of Windows XP Home Edition installed on them. One of them had an XP CD with it while the other had had a Volume License Key version installed on it. They both had legitimate Product Keys.

Stupidly last September I installed a counterfeit version of a Service pack 2 ( I didn't have broadband at the time)

Microsoft have since realised through the updates that the current version of XP on both machines is counterfeit.

If I apply for the validation cd and send the old copy of XP and the copy of SP2 plus the receipts will I qualify for the validation. On the form where you submit your details when applying for validation it says copied CDs are not acceptable, but if I send the copy and the genuine will that make any difference?

Cheers

Nick:

The counterfeit report quality and decisions are only made by our Cryptographic services lab, and must be deemed "high quality" (please see www.howtotell.com). Unfortunately, sending Genuine CD's do not qualify.

Thursday, June 8, 2006 5:53 PM

All replies

• Nickolly:

When you say a counterfeit version of Service pack 2 are you referring to a new installation of Windows XP which included service pack 2 or was it just service pack 2?  Installing service pack 2 by it self should not change or alter the product key on your computer.

To help me understand the issue further can you please follow the steps below?

1. Download and run the WGA Diagnostic Tool  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

2. After running the WGA Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Windows" tab and then click on "Copy to Clipboard". Paste the results into your forum response.

Thanks,

Greg

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 3:17 PM
  • WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-BFMJJ-P4P6G-K8JQB
    Windows Product Key Hash: HiPZv+Uv+HX4Ehy5HCMTnb8VFsk=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-647-9588401-23867
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: KVDJVR
    ID: cb2ad5be-8832-4063-bd26-9a410e54cac6
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.532.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>cb2ad5be-8832-4063-bd26-9a410e54cac6</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-K8JQB</PKey><PID>55274-647-9588401-23867</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2382750585-919082819-4212676017</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Dimension 4300               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A02</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20010910000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>B233338F0184C04E</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

It was a newer version of XP with SP2.

My main point is that on the bit where it says if you will qualify or not it says that if you send the copied CD you won't qualify as I guess they assume that you knew you were using a copied version of XP

As I can prove that I had originally bought the genuine XP with the machine and if I plead stupidity will I qualify or will they just say no as it was obvious that the newer version of XP was a copy

Hope that clarifies

Cheers

Thursday, June 8, 2006 4:02 PM
  • Nickolly,

Two computers....

Computer A:  XP installed with a legitimate CD.  If we can prove that this was indeed a genuine installation, then it is most likely still a genuine installation, and therefore no Genuine Windows Offer is needed or extended.

Excellent proof would be the presence of a genuine Certificate of Authenticity and a genuine MS hologram CD, or computer mfr's recovery/reinstallation CD.  The COA would be affixed to the computer if systembuilder/OEM edition or royalty OEM (such as big name computer mfr) edition XP were used for installation.  If a retail (upgrade or full) edition of XP were used, the COA would have been on the retail packaging's boxtop.

Computer B:  A Volume Licensing edition of XP installed on a new computer without a genuine underlying, or "base" license if you will, is not a legitimate XP installation to begin with.  Since, as you say, this installation was done with a copied Volume Licensing CD and not a "hi-quality counterfeit," it would be quite a stretch to claim that it qualifies for a free replacement.

Thursday, June 8, 2006 4:38 PM
  •  Nickolly wrote:

Hi

Cheers

Nick:

The counterfeit report quality and decisions are only made by our Cryptographic services lab, and must be deemed "high quality" (please see www.howtotell.com). Unfortunately, sending Genuine CD's do not qualify.

Thursday, June 8, 2006 5:53 PM