Upgrading XP Home to XP Pro questions.. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have purchased on line XP Pro OEM software.  I have not yet installed due to some questions.  I am currently running XP home which came with my Dell computer in 2003, can I upgrade this by installing and following the prompts or do I need to back everything up to a CD, uninstall xp home and install this new xp pro opperating system?  As a realtor I am depending on my computer for my business, I can not spare any downtime.  What would you suggest?

Thursday, September 21, 2006 10:38 PM

Answers

•  RTexas wrote:

Hi there,

I have purchased on line XP Pro OEM software.  I have not yet installed due to some questions.  I am currently running XP home which came with my Dell computer in 2003, can I upgrade this by installing and following the prompts or do I need to back everything up to a CD, uninstall xp home and install this new xp pro opperating system?  As a realtor I am depending on my computer for my business, I can not spare any downtime.  What would you suggest?

An OEM version of Windows XP Professional can only be installed as a "clean install".  If you wish to upgrade over an existing Windows XP Home Edition installation, you'll need to purchase a "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows XP Professional.

Clean Install Windows XP
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Friday, September 22, 2006 12:26 PM
  • Hello EPH,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic. Please post your question  in the Discussions in Windows XP General newsgroup forum located here:  

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US 

If you should have other non-WGA questions please visit our other communities for helpful information here:  http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/community.mspx .  Thank you for visiting the forum.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, November 8, 2007 6:16 PM

All replies

•  RTexas wrote:

Hi there,

An OEM version of Windows XP Professional can only be installed as a "clean install".  If you wish to upgrade over an existing Windows XP Home Edition installation, you'll need to purchase a "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows XP Professional.

Clean Install Windows XP
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Friday, September 22, 2006 12:26 PM
  •  

I have a similiar issue in that I had the home XP Windows version that came with my HP laptop.  I joined a mortgage company that sent my computer to the corporate tech center and they upgraded my system to Windows XP professional.  It doesn't look like they used an "upgrade" version, but rather a regular Windows XP version (not an OEM).

I am now having problems with my Outlook and the loan software.  Should they have used the "upgrade" version?  Do we need to re-install?  Like the other person, my salary depends on me being "up and running" and I can't afford more down time with my computer.

Any thoughts?

Friday, September 29, 2006 6:18 PM
  • JHayes,

Professionals who depend upon their computers to earn a living should find and then depend upon professionals who earn their living by keeping your computer in 100% tiptop shape and who can help you with backups and disaster recovery.  If you truly cannot afford any down time, then you need a second computer.

IMO it's a pretty safe bet that the product license for the installed edition of XP has no bearing on whether Outlook or the loan software is functioning properly.

For good Outlook site, try www.slipstick.com.

For help with the loan software, consult the tech support personnel from the mortgage company.

Friday, September 29, 2006 7:12 PM
  • My question is in regards to XP Pro Home OEM install to XP Pro retail.  I inserted the disk and this is the message I received,

"Windows cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD. 

Warning:  If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered."

This is interesting because the upgrade box I have (for XP Pro) says this on page 2 of the "Start Here" manual: 

"Quick Upgrade"

... You can upgrade to Windows XP if all the following are true:

• You're already using a previous version of Windows that supports upgrading:
        • Windows XP Home Edition

NOTE:  I do NOT want to implement a NEW installation, I want to upgrade!

Help please

Thursday, November 8, 2007 2:54 PM
  • Hello EPH,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic. Please post your question  in the Discussions in Windows XP General newsgroup forum located here:  

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US 

If you should have other non-WGA questions please visit our other communities for helpful information here:  http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/community.mspx .  Thank you for visiting the forum.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, November 8, 2007 6:16 PM
  • YOU CAN INSTALL IT & LET ME REMIND YOU THAT MY NAME IS MANU.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 7:55 PM
  • ABSOLUTELY.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 7:58 PM