WHS v.1 - WD EADS drive dead, no replacement available to buy (all AF) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I read all the numerous posts about jumpers, not using WD Green drives as system drives, not using AF drives as system drives....lots of do not do this, do not do that BUT>>>

I am happily running WHS v.1 with two WD Green EADS drives with all folders duplicated. I have 2 internal bays and an identical drive in each (WD Caviar Green EADS).

Now one drive has failed (Data drive not system) so it needs replacing. However although I am quite IT literate I do not like the idea of rebuilding the server, mixing up internal storage drives on EADS and EARS (even if it works) but I do want as green a server as possible.

Should I buy an AF drive and rebuild the server with that as the OS drive, does that work ok??? then swap the currently good EADS drive and use that as the data drive? It seems to me with folder duplication on there may be issues duplicating between EADS and AF format drives or is that not an issue?

Coming from a traditional server background where I learnt never to mix drive types I'm unsure how best to proceed.

Any ideas?

p.s. Last backup was from 2 days ago so I "could" live with loosing both drives but don't want to as would loose a few pictures and media

Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:09 PM

Answers

• Before you do anything read this post in the FAQ section. Then:
    • Buy one disk that can be set (via jumper) to emulate 512 byte sectors.
    • Use the jumper.
    • Install the drive as a data drive. (Don't use it as a system drive.)
    • Add the drive to the server's storage pool.
    • Remove the failed drive from the storage pool.

Note that the last step may require you to physically shut your server down and disconnect the failed drive to get it to complete. It will depend on how "dead" the drive really is.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by wheatism Friday, April 27, 2012 9:01 AM
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:10 PM

All replies

• Oh and just to add this occured on the same day I installed the Lights Out Add-In update....coincidence? If I can boot the server (still running chkdsk...for 12 hours now...) I'll remove the add-in to see if that was the cause

Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:11 PM
  • However although I am quite IT literate I do not like the idea of rebuilding the server, mixing up internal storage drives on EADS and EARS (even if it works) but I do want as green a server as possible.

Coming from a traditional server background where I learnt never to mix drive types I'm unsure how best to proceed.

The whole point of Drive Extender and those that miss it will quote its ability to extend server storage by adding any old disk without having to worry about matching - I think you are over complicating things by constraining yourself.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Thanks, you are right but there has been so much written about AF vs 'old format' drives I'm confused. Can I use an advanced format e.g. EARS drive as a system drive (assuming I set jumpers etc)
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:36 PM
  • Before you do anything read this post in the FAQ section. Then:
    • Buy one disk that can be set (via jumper) to emulate 512 byte sectors.
    • Use the jumper.
    • Install the drive as a data drive. (Don't use it as a system drive.)
    • Add the drive to the server's storage pool.
    • Remove the failed drive from the storage pool.

Note that the last step may require you to physically shut your server down and disconnect the failed drive to get it to complete. It will depend on how "dead" the drive really is.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by wheatism Friday, April 27, 2012 9:01 AM
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:10 PM
  • So in the end I went for a Seagate ST2000DL003 Barracuda Green 3.5-inch 2TB SATA 6 Gb/s Drive (64MB Buffer,5900RPM). £85 for 2Gb drive on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004C0WVP6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

It doesn't need jumper setting. I simply shut down the server, added the drive, turned it on, added the drive to the pool, turned duplication back on and then DE did it's thing and 24 hours later all is good!

Perhaps the vendor has overcome the jumper requirements as Seagate state their disk firmware will take care of any issues with AF drives.

Time will tell but now all good, no conflicts, SMART data all good :-)

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 4:37 PM