none
Redundant WHS as a backup. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm running an HP Mediasmart Server EX487 as our file server for a small engineering shop.  Works like a champ.  What i want to know is this -- is it possible to buy a second server and set it up so that it is a mirror of the original server, so that if the original server dies for any reason we can immediately resume work from the backup? 

I'm really good about backing up the "shares" data to a couple of network storage solutions i have (e.g. dns-323) but what i'm interested in is a backup server that would be up and running for my team without any lost time (e.g. replacing boot drive, doing restore or anyting on the original machine).

thanks,  relayman357

Thursday, April 8, 2010 12:29 PM

All replies

• There is nothing available that will sync two Windows Home Servers together.  If you want to just sync the shares then you could use something like robocopy, synctoy etc.  However, a client computer can only be 'joined' to one server at a time.
    --
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 12:48 PM
  • No, Windows Home Server doesn't support redundant servers and transparent failover clusters. It's a home product, after all. If your server fails, there will be some downtime.

However, since you're backing your server up to external storage on a regular basis, if your current server fails, you can buy a new server. Then run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe on each computer which was connected to the old server to join them to the new server. (For setup of the new server, you may have to remove the connector software from one client computer.) Finally, after updating the new server, restore the backup of the shares to the new server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 12:54 PM
  • is it possible to buy a second server and set it up so that it is a mirror of the original server, so that if the original server dies for any reason we can immediately resume work from the backup? 

Yes, but, if you use something like synctoy the "mirror" will only be for the shares.  Client back-ups won't be copied by this method.  This would be the quickest way to get back on-line with your shares.  You'll need to set-up the clients on the back-up server.  You can wait until the main server dies to do this (5 minutes per client). 

I use this approach because it is the quickest way that I can find, to recover when the main server goes down.

Downtime with the above method: less than an hour.

vs.

Downtime with buying a new server and restoring backups: days

Friday, April 9, 2010 1:32 AM