couple of questoins about 64bit and sp3 keys RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

1. Can I use a Windows XP Pro SP3 (OEM) product key on an image based on Windows XP Pro SP2c?
    2. Is there a way to use a Windows XP Pro 64-bit key (OEM) on a Windows XP Pro 32-bit image?

Thanks

-sun
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:12 AM

Answers

• Sun,

Product keys are specific to the particular SKU. Example you can not use a Windows Home product key to install Windows XP Professional. Your question 2 is no you need to have a product key specific for what bit version you are attempting to install. Question 1 would be I do not know because are you using OEM System Builder, OEM SLP or retail?

Hopefully this helps.

Take care,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:32 PM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:30 PM

All replies

• Sun,

Product keys are specific to the particular SKU. Example you can not use a Windows Home product key to install Windows XP Professional. Your question 2 is no you need to have a product key specific for what bit version you are attempting to install. Question 1 would be I do not know because are you using OEM System Builder, OEM SLP or retail?

Hopefully this helps.

Take care,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:32 PM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:30 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

I am using OEM System Builder SP2c.

The description of this package is as follows: Windows XP Professional SP2c English 1pk DSP OEI CD

I know that SP2c allowed Microsoft to make additional keys and my theory (and I wish I can somehow test it) would be that SP3 keys should work as these keys would be based or added on top or continued from SP2c keys.

Any thoughts? I'm trying to do some research online as well to see if anyone has come across this but as of right now no luck.

Thanks for the help.

-sun

**edit**

Based on this thread http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itproxpsp/thread/44d7f4a9-d67d-4ec8-aaef-5e2321550677/ it does work. Would you (or anyone) agree?

thanks

---
    • Edited by 64bit_keyto_32bit Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:51 PM found thread related to topic
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Hello 64bit,

Please understand that the ONLY Microsoft-supported method for installing systembuilder/small manufacturer-OEM copies of XP is the OEM Preinstallation Kit, or OPK.

Use of other methods is not in compliance with the systembuilder/OEM break-seal agreement that you agred to when breaking the seal on systembuilder license bundles.

If you have further questions, please visit http://oem.microsoft.com, register as a systembuilder for free, and post your question to the password protected newsgroup community that is part of that site.

If you are using sysprep or third party tools for deployment of OEM images, please understand that sysprep is only suported by Microsoft in a Volume Licensing scenario for the deployment of Volume Licensing images.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:57 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Thank you for making me aware of this and I will look into this systembuilder registration/requirements. It will probably make help make it better to begin with with the OPK.

But would you know if SP3 keys will work with what I have right now? An operating system based of SP2c.

Thanks

-sun
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:23 PM
  • Hello 64bit,

This link will be of interest to you:  http://oem.microsoft.com/public/seo/winxp_sp3.htm

In case it's not a public web page (but I am pretty sure it is), I am snipping the relevant info below:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is a rollup of the hotfixes and updates released since the Release to Manufacturing (RTM) of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). It does not include any new features.

Enroll today in the Microsoft Partner Program for exclusive system builder resources!

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 supports the same product key range available in the SP2c release.
    System builders who updated their images with SP2c will not have to re-image in order for the product keys on SP3 Certificates of Authenticity (COAs) to install the software successfully.

No extended product key range is available for Microsoft Windows XP Home and Starter editions.
    These two products will not have the product key range extended with this release. You can continue to use existing images without any issues.

No integrated SP3 release is available for Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition or Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.
    The SP3 releases for these products will be available only through Windows Update.

Preinstalling Windows XP SP3

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:32 PM