Restoring Backedup Outlook PST file - from old XP laptop to new Vista laptop - running office 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• My wifes XP Home Edition laptop died - a motherboard failure so its heading for the junk pile. We have replaced the laptop with a new HP thats a Vista 64bit machine and I'm trying to understand how to restore her Outlook 2003 PST file from the Homeserver Backups.  

Normal restore is working fine with the Z drive images working fine and I've already moved back all her documents and pictures etc.

However I'm stumped by Outlook - I can see the actual Outlook PST files in the backup drive in the correct subdirectory etc but they are renamed as  .NK2 format. I can copy and move the file to the correct location for outlook to see another PST file but I cannot get the file to be opened. Have tried straight copy, renamed copy (as *.PST rather than *.NK2) etc etc - no luck. File shows as being an Outlook Data file in properties.

Is the backup software taking a snapshot or incremental image of the PST files and I need to restore all of them from each backup ? (I have multiple successful backups as we run them frequently for her). 

Any guidance appreciated on this one.

Tubster
    Monday, February 16, 2009 6:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    .NK2 means, you search in the wrong directory (this is the file, which caches the names and addresses for auto completing).
    Outlook PST files are stored in a different folder, in XP usually under Documents and Settings\<UserProfile>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. (The Local Settings folder is hidden, so you need to toggle the Show hidden files and folders option in Control Panel/Folder Options on the View tab to see this folder.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, February 16, 2009 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    .NK2 means, you search in the wrong directory (this is the file, which caches the names and addresses for auto completing).
    Outlook PST files are stored in a different folder, in XP usually under Documents and Settings\<UserProfile>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. (The Local Settings folder is hidden, so you need to toggle the Show hidden files and folders option in Control Panel/Folder Options on the View tab to see this folder.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, February 16, 2009 7:16 AM
  • Thanks Olaf - you are correct - found the correct directory and now have the files restored. Just after posting I did a search for *.PST and realized my mistake. All painless and easy

Yet another plug for the value of WHS !! 
    Monday, February 16, 2009 3:46 PM