WHS Software Failure Gone Wrong.... RRS feed

• Question

• ***Short version @ the bottom ***

2 Weeks ago setup WHS
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5400
    4GB
    List here
    http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=8912445
    Anyways.. heres the deal.
    I went with 4 HD's prior to the install because i did not know that WHS did not support raid.

My thinking was if i'm going to archive all my data on this thing, the last thing i can afford is data loss..
    A HD Manufacturer once said "IT WILL GO BAD, THATS WHAT A WARRANTY IS FOR... BUT A WARRANTY WONT COVER YOUR DATA!!!"

So no support for raid... :(
    i don't trust duplication.... cause hard drives fail all the time for the lamest reason.. like "It rained out & my dog got wet"... you get the point.

I used the hardware raid, pressed f6 during setup process (FYI f6 works on the majority of windows installs even if its not advertised.

So within a couple of hours Im up running & fast.
    begin migrating my data over a course of 2 weeks.

Then begin my girls data migration.. shes a app developer & web designer, her data is moved.

A couple of days later.. the Backup service fails to start.
    I tried everything posted on every message boards to fix it. Reinstall, chkdsk, WHS connector kit backup database rebuild, backup database delete.  yada yada yada
    Figured out my gf had a ton of Directory stuctures that was way to long...
    fle names and all......deeper than 300 characters in a lof of instances....
    Fixed the structures and still nothing
    And still nothing.. 

anywayz
    *** NEED HELP ***
    During my last attempt to reinstall the reinstall crashed... & BSOD
    Then i tried again... and was Given NO "REINSTALLATION OPTION" {WTF}

So now time for rebuild..
    Gotta move my data
    I almost hate having this much data...

After about 10 attempts followed by reboots, with no option for reinstallation, I had to get my data off.
    Picked up an external HD to move all of the Data before the reinstall
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822204069

loaded windows xp on that same partion in a different directory,
    at this point all partitions are still available Data appears to be inact.
    I procede to backup the data using xcopy...
    The copy fails on copying data in the d:\Shares folder...
    I assume permissions, reset owner and permission rights... which takes about 2 hrs for about 800gb of data. after that xcopy still fails on same directory,
    I can see the folder structure in explorer, file size attributes seem to be in order.
    However cannot open any file in the directory (hence my problem)
    oddly enough i was able to grab all of the data from the x:\de\shares folder.
    Is the shares folder a VMP for that de\shares folder? or system mapped by someway

My total data states 868GB, however there is 868GB of data in both of the directories d:\shares & d:\de\shares... how is this possible????

And any suggestions???

I currently have eveyrhing under the d:\de\Shares folder backed up.
    THanks

Friday, February 6, 2009 1:17 AM

Answers

• david_chadwick said:

yeah, did the format thing a sec ago, still no reinstallation option.

Duplication means extra disk cost...... & im pretty sure theyll fail sooon..

It doesn't matter whether you use RAID or Folder Duplication.  A failed hard drive is a failed hard drive. ;)

david_chadwick said:

for every 1 gb of data i gotta buy 2...

Yes, it may not be as effective as RAID 5 in terms of space, but it definitely works and it's much simpler for users to understand.

david_chadwick said:

that can get expensive even though drives are getting cheaper and cheaper by the day

My case can only fit 4 internal HD's, thats approx 4GB of data 2gb duplicates.. & zero hardware failure tolerance.

I don't see how you say "zero hardware failure tolerance".  You connect four 1 TB drives and use Folder Duplication on all shares.  That gives you 2 TB of storage and redundancy.

david_chadwick said:

And why no x64 yet..

Because x64 hasn't really caught on until the last 6-12 months.  Besides, it doesn't really matter.  It's a small server that doesn't need more than 4 GB of RAM if you don't load it up with tons of apps.

david_chadwick said:

this is such a great product, even though i was kinda disappointed that it was built on w2k23 server and not something later.

Because there was nothing later at the time it came out.

david_chadwick said:

good news is i got the data..

The C:\fs directory is gone.....

If you are using hardware RAID (which is what you made it sound like), you won't have a C:\fs because WHS only sees one big drive.

david_chadwick said:

i do have the x:\De directory with all my good ole data backed up on my external device...

here goes Attempt #2 fresh install will post updates and progress

Friday, February 6, 2009 4:13 AM

All replies

• david_chadwick said:

***Short version @ the bottom ***

2 Weeks ago setup WHS
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5400
    4GB
    List here
    http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=8912445
    Anyways.. heres the deal.
    I went with 4 HD's prior to the install because i did not know that WHS did not support raid.

My thinking was if i'm going to archive all my data on this thing, the last thing i can afford is data loss..
    A HD Manufacturer once said "IT WILL GO BAD, THATS WHAT A WARRANTY IS FOR... BUT A WARRANTY WONT COVER YOUR DATA!!!"

So no support for raid... :(
    i don't trust duplication.... cause hard drives fail all the time for the lamest reason.. like "It rained out & my dog got wet"... you get the point.

I used the hardware raid, pressed f6 during setup process (FYI f6 works on the majority of windows installs even if its not advertised.

So within a couple of hours Im up running & fast.
    begin migrating my data over a course of 2 weeks.

Then begin my girls data migration.. shes a app developer & web designer, her data is moved.

A couple of days later.. the Backup service fails to start.
    I tried everything posted on every message boards to fix it. Reinstall, chkdsk, WHS connector kit backup database rebuild, backup database delete.  yada yada yada
    Figured out my gf had a ton of Directory stuctures that was way to long...
    fle names and all......deeper than 300 characters in a lof of instances....
    Fixed the structures and still nothing
    And still nothing.. 

anywayz
    *** NEED HELP ***
    During my last attempt to reinstall the reinstall crashed... & BSOD
    Then i tried again... and was Given NO "REINSTALLATION OPTION" {WTF}

So now time for rebuild..
    Gotta move my data
    I almost hate having this much data...

After about 10 attempts followed by reboots, with no option for reinstallation, I had to get my data off.
    Picked up an external HD to move all of the Data before the reinstall
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822204069

loaded windows xp on that same partion in a different directory,
    at this point all partitions are still available Data appears to be inact.
    I procede to backup the data using xcopy...
    The copy fails on copying data in the d:\Shares folder...
    I assume permissions, reset owner and permission rights... which takes about 2 hrs for about 800gb of data. after that xcopy still fails on same directory,
    I can see the folder structure in explorer, file size attributes seem to be in order.
    However cannot open any file in the directory (hence my problem)
    oddly enough i was able to grab all of the data from the x:\de\shares folder.
    Is the shares folder a VMP for that de\shares folder? or system mapped by someway

My total data states 868GB, however there is 868GB of data in both of the directories d:\shares & d:\de\shares... how is this possible????

And any suggestions???

I currently have eveyrhing under the d:\de\Shares folder backed up.
    THanks

First, I would suggest you ditch RAID (it's not supported).  Folder Duplication closely resembles RAID 1 anyway.  Why don't you trust it?

As to your problem, the data in D:\shares are only tombstones, not the real files.  You need to backup/copy the data from D:\DE\shares (and C:\fs\x\DE\shares if it exists, where x is a random letter/number).  Those are the real files.

Finally, you might try completely formatting/erasing/deleting the C partition on your drive.  That may get you your Server Reinstallation option again.  (Just make sure you don't touch the other partition.)
    Friday, February 6, 2009 1:26 AM
  • yeah, did the format thing a sec ago, still no reinstallation option.

that can get expensive even though drives are getting cheaper and cheaper by the day

My case can only fit 4 internal HD's, thats approx 4GB of data 2gb duplicates.. & zero hardware failure tolerance.

And why no x64 yet.. this is such a great product, even though i was kinda disappointed that it was built on w2k23 server and not something later.

i do have the x:\De directory with all my good ole data backed up on my external device...

Friday, February 6, 2009 4:03 AM
  • david_chadwick said:

yeah, did the format thing a sec ago, still no reinstallation option.

It doesn't matter whether you use RAID or Folder Duplication.  A failed hard drive is a failed hard drive. ;)

david_chadwick said:

Yes, it may not be as effective as RAID 5 in terms of space, but it definitely works and it's much simpler for users to understand.

david_chadwick said:

I don't see how you say "zero hardware failure tolerance".  You connect four 1 TB drives and use Folder Duplication on all shares.  That gives you 2 TB of storage and redundancy.

david_chadwick said:

And why no x64 yet..

Because x64 hasn't really caught on until the last 6-12 months.  Besides, it doesn't really matter.  It's a small server that doesn't need more than 4 GB of RAM if you don't load it up with tons of apps.

david_chadwick said:

this is such a great product, even though i was kinda disappointed that it was built on w2k23 server and not something later.

Because there was nothing later at the time it came out.

david_chadwick said:

If you are using hardware RAID (which is what you made it sound like), you won't have a C:\fs because WHS only sees one big drive.

david_chadwick said:

Friday, February 6, 2009 4:13 AM
  • Will try again in 5 minutes wish me luck
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 12:13 AM