Recovery Issues and accessing Data RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HP Mediasmart server and over the past two weeks the server has been experiencing problems.

I decided to do a server recovery however this now also seems to fail.

If I remove all the drives from the system (apart from the system drive) am I able to access the data of those drives by connecting them to another computer as I was thinking of doing a factory reset but I don't want to lose my data?
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 10:15 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can access your files from any computer that can read a drive formatted with the NTFS file system (so all current Windows versions). Your files will be in <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 10:34 PM
  • On top of what Ken said, please be aware, that the DE folder is marked with the Hidden attribute. So you may need to activate the checkbox Show hidden files and folders in  Windows Explorer under Tools/Folder Options on the View tab on the machine, from which you want to recover the data.
    Don't forget to check the system drive as well, since the second partition may also contain data in the same location.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 10:48 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can access your files from any computer that can read a drive formatted with the NTFS file system (so all current Windows versions). Your files will be in <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 10:34 PM
  • On top of what Ken said, please be aware, that the DE folder is marked with the Hidden attribute. So you may need to activate the checkbox Show hidden files and folders in  Windows Explorer under Tools/Folder Options on the View tab on the machine, from which you want to recover the data.
    Don't forget to check the system drive as well, since the second partition may also contain data in the same location.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 10:48 PM