Event ID 11, How can I determine which disk to remove from the console? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings!

I have the fatal event  ID 11 for disk 11 in my WHS running on a GA-965P-s3 ver3.3 motherboard.  I believe I can determine which is "Disk4" on the mobo, but how can I determine which disk that is in the console so I can safely remove it from the system?  Is it safe to say that nothing can be saved from it? 

I have 5x 1.5TB seagate drives (ST3150041AS) all on the CC1H firmware, along with a 750gb western Digital (wdc wd7500AAKS-00RBA0).  All status listed as "Healthy" in the server console.  Thanks in advance for any insight to this issue.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    you have two options:
    Install the Add-In WHS Disk Management. This can show you details about the attached disks, including the serial number, which is usually also printed on the disk label.
    Or physically disconnect the disk you assume and boot the server. The disconnected disk will now be shown as missing.
    If it is not the right one, shut down and disconnect another disk after bringing the first back.
    After you figured out the correct disk try to remove it via console in connected stage.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by rock99rock Friday, June 19, 2009 5:16 AM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:18 AM
  • Probably you have a failing disk. If the issue is only appearing for a single disk, it will usually be either the disk or the cable. If it's appearing for all disks attached to a particular port on the motherboard (for a PATA port) then it's more likely the cable, and if it appears for all disks it may be the mass storage controller associated with that port (i.e. you may have a failing motherboard). First I would simply replace the cable to see if that is the issue. If it isn't, and you're pretty sure it's a disk rather than the motherboard, then to determine which disk it is in the console just shut your server down and disconnect the disk. It will show up as "Missing" in the console when you reboot your server. Then you can remove it from the storage pool.

Note that removing a disk in this fashion will likely cause Windows Home Server to warn you that you will lose files or backups. The backup database is essentially sacrificial in this scenario, but to avoid as much data loss as possible you can connect the failing disk to another computer and copy any files you find on it under <drive>:\DE\Shares\etc. back to your server after the removal is complete.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    you have two options:
    Install the Add-In WHS Disk Management. This can show you details about the attached disks, including the serial number, which is usually also printed on the disk label.
    Or physically disconnect the disk you assume and boot the server. The disconnected disk will now be shown as missing.
    If it is not the right one, shut down and disconnect another disk after bringing the first back.
    After you figured out the correct disk try to remove it via console in connected stage.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:18 AM
  • EventID 11 points to a controller or driver problem. Have a look at KB154690 for troubleshooting steps
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:40 AM
  • Thank you both VERY much for your quick replies!  I will begin troubleshooting once I get home, and follow up with the results.  I appreciate the input.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:35 PM
  • Probably you have a failing disk. If the issue is only appearing for a single disk, it will usually be either the disk or the cable. If it's appearing for all disks attached to a particular port on the motherboard (for a PATA port) then it's more likely the cable, and if it appears for all disks it may be the mass storage controller associated with that port (i.e. you may have a failing motherboard). First I would simply replace the cable to see if that is the issue. If it isn't, and you're pretty sure it's a disk rather than the motherboard, then to determine which disk it is in the console just shut your server down and disconnect the disk. It will show up as "Missing" in the console when you reboot your server. Then you can remove it from the storage pool.

Note that removing a disk in this fashion will likely cause Windows Home Server to warn you that you will lose files or backups. The backup database is essentially sacrificial in this scenario, but to avoid as much data loss as possible you can connect the failing disk to another computer and copy any files you find on it under <drive>:\DE\Shares\etc. back to your server after the removal is complete.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:57 PM
  • I have not had a chance to get home and follow the troubleshooting steps provided by brubber via the KB article, but this event ID is only appearing for "\harddisk4", Ken.  I ensured that all cabling was secure before posting last night, though I will try replacing the cable once I know which disk is the culprit.  I will install the WHS Disk management add-in to determine which disk is "harddrive4" as suggested by Olaf, and proceed from there.  Thank you again for all your assistance.

FYI, this all started when I was trying to copy files to the WHS Shared Folders over the network (gigabit).  The transfer would seem to pause, without error, just sit stagnant in the transfer window after 1.3GB transferred each time I tried.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:39 PM
  • http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2978/92893168.jpg

I did not see a way to post screenshots, so please follow the link above.  It appears as though the WD drive is the culprit \harddrive4.  Can that be concurred?  Also, why aren't my new drives taking on files?  Has anyone seen this before?  Shouldn't everything be spread out?  Thank you everyone.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:28 AM
  • http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2978/92893168.jpg

I did not see a way to post screenshots, so please follow the link above.  It appears as though the WD drive is the culprit \harddrive4.  Can that be concurred?

That looks right to me.  (You're lucky it was that drive and not 1 of the other 5.  :)  )

Also, why aren't my new drives taking on files?  Has anyone seen this before?  Shouldn't everything be spread out?

It's working as designed.  WHS doesn't "balance" anything.  "Balanced" on WHS means everything is functioning normally (i.e. all files that should be duplicated are duplicated).  The algorithm used by WHS is store data on the drive with the least free space (to keep groups of data together).

Thank you everyone.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:06 AM

Why not first try and remove the disk through the console before removing it physically? I think there's a fair chance this will work as designed, avoiding the hassle of copying file back to the server.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:47 AM
  • Actually, I wanted to see if that would work first as well.  I began the process last night @11p CST.  When I checked it this morning @ 8a, the progress bar was less than halfway done.  Hopefully, the progress bar is not accurate, or else this will be a 20+ hour "removal".
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:57 PM
  • Why not first try and remove the disk through the console before removing it physically? I think there's a fair chance this will work as designed, avoiding the hassle of copying file back to the server.
    Because a disk that starts throwing errors during removal will not usually be successfully removed using the standard process. And because the longer a failing disk is left running, the greater the chance of a catastrophic failure which will result in data loss.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:48 PM
  • The "Warren"-nator strikes again!

"File conflicts prevented the removal of this drive."

Screenshot of disk management post error:
    http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/9596/97153801.jpg

It looks as though it was able to move about 40% of the files to the other drives before failing.

I will reboot, and check the status of the drive.  Then, I shall remove it and try to connect it to another networked computer and copy the files over from there.

Bummer.  That, and I just got my "trial is up in 30 days" warning.  Thats ok though, I still love WHS and will invest in the retail copy.

UPDATE:  After shutting down, replacing the sata cable (again) and crossing fingers, I was able to complete the removal successfully from the console, without error.

What now?  chkdsk?  Could I really have had 2 faulty cables?  They were both supplied from evga bundled with an i7 mobo.  The one that worked was oem from Frys.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 11:37 PM
  • The "Warren"-nator strikes again!
    I lol'ed... :)
    UPDATE:  After shutting down, replacing the sata cable (again) and crossing fingers, I was able to complete the removal successfully from the console, without error.

What now?  chkdsk?  Could I really have had 2 faulty cables?  They were both supplied from evga bundled with an i7 mobo.  The one that worked was oem from Frys.
    Chkdsk again, yes. And yes, you could have two bad SATA cables. Or you could have a flaky connector on the drive or motherboard, and the one that worked just fits slightly differently.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:39 PM